3. Navigator of the Seas
We are a family of four including a 12 and 13 year old who shared a basic interior cabin. Embarkation was quick and, unlike with P&O, did not involve a lot of hanging around in a waiting area before boarding. Our cabin was well-appointed, pleasantly decorated, clean and with enough space for all our clothes/cases. We attended a welcome meeting for parents and children who wished to use the Kids Club facilities but it was somewhat disappointing that the staff member did not seem to know what he was supposed to be talking to us about, and had to be reminded by another member. It was all a bit wishywashy and badly organized. I did not like the room we met in either - it was dark and reminded me of a nightclub. Nevertheless, the children stayed at the club and we went to explore the rest of the ship. We saw that there was an enormous amusement arcade within the Kids Club area with plenty of scope to extract extra funds from children and teens (but maybe that is me being cynical). First impressions of the Navigator public spaces are good. They are spacious, clean and well-maintained. During the whole trip I saw staff members constantly cleaning and maintaining public areas. In the Windjammer on deck 11 staff were always quick to clear tables for guests, and often when I was eating a snack I was asked by a waiter if I'd like a cup or tea or other drink prepared and brought to me. This was much appreciated, especially if it was a busy time. We had chosen the main sitting time and for the first evening this was 6.30. There were many delays which meant that we missed the first show of the cruise. Fortunately, subsequent evenings were much better organized. One of the high spots for us were the ice-skating. We got to take part every sea-day and I even had a lesson (no fee). I was able to practice several times over the cruise and we all improved our skating techniques. There were two different ice-shows, each one shown four times during each week of the cruise. A real treat. The second show involved an element of competition between each half of the audience which I did not like and felt was not necessary. The skaters were marvelous and I clapped until my hands hurt. The climbing wall was another (literally) high spot, particularly for me. I do not like heights but was determined to have a go. Well, I had three goes and got to the top to ring that bell twice, once wearing a dress! We also played golf, dodgeball, roller-bladed, and used the basketball pitch to shoot hoops. We did not use the bars, pubs, gym, beauty salons, internet cafe, adult pool area, casino, or Johnny Rockets, so cannot comment on them. We did not go on any excursions either, partly because of the expense, partly because we realized that we could be more flexible if we did our own thing. Sadly, after the first evening, the children did not return to the kids club either, they felt that the staff were not really interested. I was most disappointed because last year on the Aurora and Oriana (P&O) they had had such a wonderful time that we hardly saw them. I felt that it was telling that on each of the daily kids club activity card that we received, there was a note saying words to the effect that "in the event that no-one turns up during the first 15 minutes of an activity it will be cancelled". Hmmm, this tells me that there is a major problem with the way the teens kids club is being organized and run if they have to write that. It was the only black spot on an otherwise wonderful experience. Sadly, it is a major reason why we may return to P&O next year. I have asked my kids what they would prefer, RC or P&O, and overwhelmingly they opted for P&O because the 'Youthies' who run them are so obviously dedicated and committed to ensuring that the teens have a great experience i.e. they have a full and imaginative timetable of events from 9.30 in the morning until midnight every day. Parents are sometimes invited to participate too. They get to spend time safely with other young people of their own age, and learn and grow, develop relationships and friendships, be independent of us, and have an unforgettable holiday. We never had a problem with lifts (other people have mentioned having to wait for ages) but this may be because we rarely used them. We did not like being charged for shuttle buses (P&O don't), but this was only an issue 3 times out of eight ports, and two of those times we walked in to town anyway. It was irritating to be charged $35 dollars on the one occasion (for the four of us) to get into town because we were not permitted to walk through the dock area. We attended most of the evening shows and although not all of them were 'our cup of tea' we did appreciate the skill and effort of the participants. I attended most of the dining room breakfasts and enjoyed chatting to new people every day. Because there were so many Scottish people on this particular cruise due to it being at the beginning of the Scottish summer holidays (consequently loads of kids too), we actually ran out of porridge three days in! I switched to Granola for a couple of days. I have to marvel at the waiting staff's ability to remember everyones order and who ordered what, particularly at breakfast time. I also liked the greeter at the entrance to the dining room (Judith) who ensured that I was seated where I wanted to be. There was always a member of staff stationed at the entrance to the Windjammer, reminding people to use the hand cleanser and directing us either left or right. Disembarkation was quick and painless. We were off and in our car driving out of the car-park within half an hour of our color being called. This included the complicated stuffing all the suitcases into the boot (they seemed to have expanded over the two weeks), which took ages!

Navigator of the Seas - Western Mediterranean