3. Adventure of the Seas
Just returned from a week of heaven onboard the Adventure! My husband of 24 hours and I were one of over 100 honeymooning couples onboard the Adventure! We're Philadelphians in our late 30's, active, and my new hubby is a night owl. Husband and I took an early afternoon flight on USAirways out of PHL, arriving in San Juan around 5:00. The flight was uneventful...until we landed. Turned out an earlier flight out of Philadelphia had been delayed, and was scheduled to arrive in San Juan approx. 7:30! SOMEHOW, some passenger baggage from our flight ended up on the latter flight. Fiasco! Luckily, all of our bags made it through. While waiting for a ride to the ship, we observed how hard the Royal Caribbean staff was working to resolve the baggage issue, in addition to working a plan for the 100 plus passengers arriving dangerously close to our 8:30 departure time. As it turns out, the Captain delayed the ship departure to accommodate the late Philly flight, which we thought was cool. No one on board really noticed or cared...too many things to do and see. Embarkation: took all of 4 minutes, and we were onboard on the way to our balcony room. I cannot stress how massive the ship is....you really have no sense of size until you're standing next to the ship! Room: clean, well maintained, nicely decorated. Good sized balcony. Our room steward knocked on the door to introduce himself within 5 minutes. (Chen was the best!!) We had plenty of room for our belongings and quickly unpacked. The beds were very comfy too! Ship common areas: Hubby and I spent the next several hours just exploring the ship! The Adventure is well maintained and tastefully decorated. Lots of interesting artwork displayed. Very rare to see cups or plates laying about. Very clean. Adventure has an interesting mix of common areas with no common theme, but it works. You have plenty of places to hide away, and the ship rarely felt crowded. We loved hanging out at the champaign bar or along the Promenade. Crew: Fantastic. Helpful, polite and genuinely seemed to enjoy their job. Also, no hard push for tips at the end of the cruise like some cruise lines. Excursions: Save yourself tons of money and grab a taxi when you hit land. In St. Thomas and St. Martin I think it's really unnecessary to need handholding around the island. Unless you're doing something that would be more interesting in a group, or a tour that's out of the ordinary like zip lining, Grab a taxi and go. Fellow Cruisers: As honeymooners, we were a bit concerned about the kid issue. Guess what? Not an issue! We rarely saw kids, and if we did, they were with parents. Older kids, like 16 or 17 had more autonomy and traveled in small groups. However, they were very well behaved and stayed in the vicinity of the teen club/arcade/Johnny Rockets. Or at the main pool. RC included in our welcome aboard package a sheet detailing the ship curfew policy, and it was enforced. There were quite a number of spanish speaking cruisers, but I found that most were bilingual. Didn't bother us a bit...had a few laughs trying to communicate using my 8th grade level Spanish. Lots a families traveling together. By and large, a nice mix of cruisers, everyone was pleasant and friendly. The Adventure crew did an excellent job of providing activities appropriate for various demographics. Food: Food was good. What they lacked in variety they made up in quality of preparation. Did room service for breakfast 3 times, food always arrived quickly and hot. We enjoyed the Windjammer Buffet more than main dining. Thought Portofino's was overrated. Promenade Cafe was great for a late night slice of pizza. Got a bit ill from Johnny Rockets - probably too much fried food for these bellies. There was always something available to eat, but the ship didn't seem to encourage the sick gluttony we experienced on Carnival. Tasty Frozen yogurt was available near the pool, which hubby loved. Shows: We saw several, and thought all were entertaining, creative and well executed. El Gaucho was a riot! Don't miss any shows that require audience participation, they were the most fun. karaoke in the Imperial Lounge was great too. Disembarkation: we booked a post-cruise tour of San Juan. A bit of organized confusion getting off the ship, but we were soon on our way to San Cristobal and El Morro. Hubby LOVED the fort, wish we could've stayed longer. Tour ended with a dropoff at the airport. Flight home was uneventful. Final notes: There is no way you cannot have fun on this ship, unless you're looking for the drunken frat party kind of fun. I have no negative comments about the crew, ship, or passengers on the Adventure. I don't know if I could go back to Carnival after experiencing Royal Caribbean - we're hooked!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean