• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jun 2007
Cabin:
Traveled with children

Cast of Characters: Myself, my daughter (teen) from North Carolina and my sister, my brother and my parents from Washington State.

Last year, my sister and I were talking about what to do for our parent's 60th wedding anniversary, June 8, 2007. We hit upon the idea of taking them on a cruise since they had never been able travel outside of the United States, (well maybe Canada, but since that was so close, it didn't seem to count...lol). The Rhapsody of the Seas leaving out of Galveston, Texas was midway between both coasts and the ports all sounded interesting, so we made reservations and started counting the days.

Day -1 Saturday 6/16 Both parties were to meet in Houston IAH in early afternoon on Saturday. Since we were flying in from both coasts, we were planning on spending Saturday relaxing from travel and seeing a little of the Seabrook - Kemah area before getting to the ship Sunday morning. Our travel day ended being much longer than we had anticipated and proved once again, the sound advice of arriving at your port a day early. My daughter and I got to the airport in plenty of time for our 11:30 am flight, anticipating that we would land in Houston around 1:30pm, about 30 minutes prior to my family's flight from Seattle landing at 2pm. The flight was uneventful until we began our decent and were told by the pilot that we were not landing in Houston after all, but had been diverted due to serious thunderstorms and we did not have enough fuel on board to just circle until things let up. We ended up landing at Port Charles, Louisiana at an airport where the terminal was still undergoing repairs from Hurricane Rita. We ended up waiting there from 1:30pm until 6:30pm! Finally, we were able to get back into the air and landed at Houston around 7pm. Boy was I glad that we were flying in the day before and not the day of! The other half of our party was delayed in Fort Worth and got to Houston at 4:30pm. So much for our plans for seeing the area and relaxing... We had reservations with Enterprise, but when we got there, only one clerk was working and there were about 20 people in line, so we went over to Hertz. We got our rental van, stuffed everything into it and traveled to Seabrook where we had reservations for the night.

Cabin ov