3. Coral Princess
It's almost 11pm in Florida, and I'm still on Alaska time from our wonderful cruise on the Coral. We arrive in Anchorage for our 5/28 departure a few days early. Rented a car and headed for the Mt. McKinley Princess. Set up like a college campus it was a beautiful relaxing stop. We took the Three River Jet Boat excursion through Princess. The owner was our guide. He had been in Alaska homesteading since the mid 70's. Since he had trapped and lived "off the grid" for years, his insight into the history and culture of Alaska was fascinating. On Monday we packed up the rental and headed for the Anchorage airport for our shuttle to Whittier. We purchased the Princess transfer and I have no regrets since they handled all our luggage, and it was easy and painless. OK I over packed. The tunnel to Whittier was interesting, since the last time I was through it, you had to load on the a flat bed railroad car. Times have changed. embarkation took a total of 15 minutes, dock to room. He did all the paperwork ahead of time. It was a breeze. Cabin Our room was on the Dolphin Deck Forward Port D210. We were the third balcony from the front of the ship. Spending the extra money for a balcony was well worth it. My Fabreware coffee pot and insulated mugs made the time we spend on the balcony cozy, with a warm cup of cocoa, tea or coffee. Our room steward was helpful but forgetful. We requested our beds in the twin formation with egg crate mattress pad. Of course they were made as a queen without egg crate pad. The layout was corrected but I gave up on the pad, after asking for it twice. No robes, although they were asked for also. Time for my biggest criticism......ready........the pillows were TERRIBLE...flat as pancakes, hard as rocks. I asked for another pillow, it was just as bad. This is my only criticism about the boat. Food How many ways can you say YUM, YUM, YUM. We did anytime dining, found a waiter we really liked and asked for him each night. We waited once for about 10 minutes, that was it. Lobster, King crab, steak, prime rib.......I could eat like this anytime. We did the dining room each night, and alternated the buffet, room service, pizza, special buffets on deck, and the grill for breakfast and lunch. Warning....the third day from Glacier Bay to Skagway was quite rough seas (15-18 ft. waves)It is the only time you are in open ocean. Thank you for the bonine suggestion. Never felt a thing. It was a great day to hang out in the hot tub in the Lotus Pool. This seemed to be the steadiest part of the ship. The ship naturalist was very informative during our cruise of College Glaciers. We stayed on our balcony and listed to him over the TV. Once we entered Glacier Bay National Park, ranger came on board. They were really not as good as the naturalist. Seemed more interested in selling things on table in Horizon Court, and finding our where everyone was from. The TV was almost silent the day they were on board. Disappointed in the narrative, not in the view. Saw whales numerous times during the cruise, also sea lions, dolphins and a bear. (off in the distance) Ports of Call I post much more information on these in the Alaska Thread. In Skagway we rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake. It was spectacular. Got the best picture of the trip there. Should of eaten at the Koolseen Indian Place in Carcross. Held out for the great food at the Spirit Lake Lodge (it was bad, $16 for ham or turkey sandwich, cup of watery soup, pie and can of soda) Eat at Koolseen Indian Coop. In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge and Float Plane trip. It was spectacular and another highlight of the trip. Bears came into the camp as soon as the salmon came off. The gift shop these was tasteful and reasonable in price, They packed everything in bubble wrap. In Ketchikan we did the Midnight Sun Charter. Three of us on the boat caught fish.....no salmon, but it was early in the season, so we settled for halibut, sole and a few varieties I can't remember. On board, we enjoyed the horse racing and bingo. Won nothing but fun. We played a little in the casino, but was disappointed NO live poker only poker pro tables. I guess it saved me some money. We bought one of the formal pictures, and got an album. (2 pictures. 1 album = $40) The comedian was funny, we only attended the early shows. Not bar people so did not spend much time there. My friend smokes and loved the Churchill Smoking Room. Spend a lot of time there with his new smoking buddies. Debarking the ship was easy, very organized. We took the Princess shuttle to Seattle. Some people on the boat were not too good at getting places on time. Princess was very good at holding the ship for these late comers. We left Whittier an hour late, Skagway and Ketchikan we waited for a final few groups to stroll back. Well they did NOT wait when we left. Seven people did not make the Vancouver to Seattle buses. Their luggage did, they did not. Princess did not wait for them to wander on down to the buses. When we arrived in Seattle there was extra luggage on the buses, that was collected by Princess. YEA. This cruise was a 'truly once in a lifetime experience',and the Coral is a great ship. In Skagway there were three other ships, but in Juneau and Ketchikan we were the only ship in that day. Hat's off to the crew of the Coral, you made everything so special......

Coral Princess - Alaska