3. Adventure of the Seas
We arrived a day early and stayed at the Caribe Hilton. That was a wonderful hotel and had the best pool I have ever seen. Getting to the ship was an adventure. We were planning to taking a taxi, but a tour group was leaving at the same time and the bellhop talked to the bus driver and got us on the bus for free. A little tip to the driver upon arrival and we avoided the cost. The line at the pier was huge. We stayed in line for at least an hour. We should have waited a little later in the day. We had arrived at around 1:00, but 2:30 would have been better. We had a cabin with a balcony and it was well worth it. I could sit on the balcony when my wife was getting ready, and it made a great place to be when entering and leaving port. As a matter of fact, when leaving St. Maarten, we ordered a cheese plate and a bottle of wine from room service and sat on the balcony as we left port. We were in the Mozart dining room, and as we were traveling without our kids were seated with three young couples from New York. We didn't have anything in common with them, but it was fun to listen to their conversation! We had a death in the family while underway, and the concierge was incredibly helpful. Calling rates are over $4.00 per minute, but they waived the charges so we could make arrangements. We made all of our shore excursions in advance, but had to cancel snorkeling in Aruba due to the family emergency. We were able to pick up a snorkeling trip in St. Thomas instead, and it worked out well. I highly recommend the America's Cup racing in St. Maarten. What an incredible chance to do an actual race on an America's cup yacht. We were on the Stars and Stripes (The winner of the 1987 America's Cup Race). Disembarkation was much smoother and less hassled than embarkation. We found a cab right away and he gave us a tour of San Juan on the way to the airport. I love Royal Caribbean. It's my favorite cruise line.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean