3. Navigator of the Seas
This is our 3rd cruise, with our last cruise about 3 years ago with Royal Caribbean. Embarkation: Getting registered and on the boat seemed a little smoother than last time on the Monarch in San Juan. There were some fairly long lines, but the wait wasn't bad (We have a 4 year old and she's a good kid!). Ship Activities (Days at Sea): If you get bored while at sea on these ships, make no mistake - YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, not the ship. Both days at sea, we all ice skated, swam, played mini-golf and used the rock wall. We do not drink or gamble, and we still had plenty to do. The gym is excellent. I worked out before breakfast each day and never had to wait for anything. Plenty of dumbbells and 3-4 benches. The life-fitness machines were high quality. I spent most of the time lifting, but there were many treadmills and bikes also. Only negative on the gym was the limited lighting earlier in the morning. The TV's were also off for the first couple of days. There is also a big whirlpool. My daughter loved the krooze komics and we walked through the promenade a lot. Our daughter was with us the whole time so we didn't use the on-board day-care. With a pool and several free ice cream stations, what 4 year old wouldn't be happy? Food: The food quality overall is excellent. If there was anything at the Windjammer or the Dining room that didn't look good, there was always plenty of other options. Service: Outstanding service from the evening dinner staff (Waiters were Ercan from Turkey and Miguel from Columbia) and our cabin steward (Raul). Nearly everyone else was pleasant and courteous as well. The one exception was the guest relations desk (purser). One guy came off to me as a little arrogant. Our tip vouchers only reflected 2 people instead of 3, so I came down to fix it. Instead of going back and fixing the problem, the guy asks me "Did your wife fill out the form right?" Of course my wife filled the form right, but even if she didn't, the problem needed to be fixed regardless. The restaurant wait staff at RCCL should be training these people in customer relations. If if wasn't for that dude, I would have rated the service perfect. Cabin: Interior stateroom had plenty of room for the 3 of us. Having a refrigerator was nice too. Ports: All the ports I've been before except Haiti. We took the Castaway at Malfini. Its an exclusive tour, and the only problem was actually finding the meeting place. The RCCL ticket said to "check in" at 10:45 and leave at 12:00. We got to the place at 10:45 and nobody had a clue. The tour staff didn't know why RCC put 10:45 on the ticket. Anyhow, the tour was cool. It was great to get away from the crowd to a private beach with 20 people for swimming and snorkeling. The tour operators were really friendly. We did our own thing at Jamaica and Cayman. We did the semi-submersible excursion in Cozumel. After a slow start, we saw plenty of fish and coral. It made us miss snorkeling and scuba, but our daughter will be old enough in a few years. Excursions are expensive. With a little planning, you can do your own thing at most ports and save a few bucks. Cozumel and Cayman were crowded (6 boats in port at each) so make sure you factor in some time getting on and off the boat and moving around near the pier.

Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean