Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean: Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by Sandtrooper

Carnival Miracle 5
Member Since 2002
22 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: May 2007
Destination: Eastern Caribbean
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
I just wanted to mention some of the highlights of our trip. Getting on the ship was terrible. We got to port around 12:30pm and it took us over 2 hours to get on the ship. I was hot and tired. Some of the older people were having to ask for help to find some rest from standing in line so long. This was the worse part of the trip for us. Maybe next time I'll pack the smallest convertible stool I can find.

Once on the ship things were much better. We had extended balcony on the upper deck. It was very nice but one of the balcony lounge chair arms were broken and my husband was constantly trying to fix it. The balcony table was broken too. We did not notify them about this we just dealt with it. Not a big deal. After we dropped off our bags we headed for lido deck and some drinks.

One early morning I heard a strange noise coming from what I thought was the hallway. When I went to investigate, one of the shelves in out bathroom had shattered and when I say shattered, More I mean blew up all over the place. We had glass everywhere. I notified the front desk since it was too early for the cabin stewart to be on. They were at our door within 15 minutes and cleaned all the glass up but left what remained of the shattered shelf there for 2 days. One night our son was changing his contacts in the bathroom and he started complaining that something was hurting his eye real bad. We were so scarred it was a piece of glass from the remaining shelf. Thank God his pain passed with no medical attention needed. It was probably sand from the beach.

San Juan we stayed on the ship by the pool in the shade. It was so hot!! We had the pool almost to ourselves and enjoyed several drinks of the day.

At St. Thomas we went shopping in the morning at the shops not to far from the ship. There were some good deals to be found if you shop around a little. In the afternoon we went to St. John's Truck Bay. I would recommend this trip to anyone. We had originally booked the 5 star tour which was supposed to leave at 12:30 but when we went down to the dock to meet out party, they informed us that our tour time had been changed to 9:00 am. They asked if we had seen our new tickets in our mailbox outside our door the night before? No, we had not. They thought maybe someone was being funny and picking things out of people's mailboxes because there were 2 or 3 other rooms that didn't get their new tickets either. It ended up working out ok because there was another tour leaving for St. Johns soon and it was cheaper but we felt that we couldn't have missed out on too much because we had a wonderful time. Beach and water was beautiful. Our son and I snorkeled the whole time we were there. Best beach I've seen yet!

Tortola we just walked to the shopping tents set up not too far from the ship. All the workers there were very nice and even offered me a chair when I was looking hot and tired. The prices were very reasonable too. If you walked down the road a little further there was some kind of mall. Not worth the extra walk. There were higher prices and very little merchandise. We heard there were more shops further down the street but I was too hot and tired to go any further so we headed back to the ship.

We loved the ship. The pool area was a much better set up than the set up on the Victory. The food everywhere was very, very good. We did room service about half a dozen times and it always amazed me how fast they were! Dinner in the dining room was excellent. The first day we visited the Maitre de and he helped us pick the table that best suited out preferences. We had a great time at dinner every time we went.

I won in the casino. I'm not a big gambler and so I was thrilled when I won $150 after only spending $15 on the quarter slots. That happened on Mother's Day and of course it was the machine named "Winning for Dummies" I won on. I didn't gamble the rest of the week. I took my money and ran. The woman next door to us won $400. So some people did ok.

We went to the hypnotist (spelling?) show, silly but funny at times. I got sick of seeing it on tv so much in the days following. I think the guy was trying to sells his products. We went to the first comedy show they had, it was short but pretty funny. I'm sorry to say we did not care for Buster Freeze in the Piano Bar. We thought he was a little to rude to the customers. On our last cruise the piano guy was so funny and flirty and nice. He got a whole bunch of tips and drinks bought for him left and right. We didn't see this happening to Buster. Maybe he should tone down his English attitude just a bit. Frankie & Johnny's was great music, a lot of fun. I went to the art auction out of curiosity and for the free champagne. I had fun talking to a very nice gentleman from New York. He had been on many cruises and had so many stories to tell while we sipped our champagne. We also went to bingo (Didn't win), movie trivia (no win), newlywed game, past guest party (took some drinks with us for after the party, no problem), hairy chest contest and belly flop contest. Steve was a hoot. I'm sure there's more I don't remember.

Our son, Dustin (18 yrs old), met up with a bunch of kids his age and a little older. There where at least 4 nights he got back to the room somewhere between 4 and 6:00 am. He had a really good time hanging around the back of the lido deck after the clubs grew old for them. The only thing is I think it frustrated the cabin crew that they couldn't get in to clean our room as often as they would have liked to because Dustin slept till 4pm sometimes.

The end result of all this rambling on is we loved the ship and the workers were always top notch and so pleasant. Food was great and we did what we wanted when we wanted, so many choices.

Getting off the ship was fine. We were the last ones to pick up our luggage on our floor. We took our time that morning and left our room around 10:30 or 11:00 am. No reason to rush to the disembarkment floors.

Getting a taxi to Penn Station took about 2 hours but we were comfortable. There was someplace to rest and a breeze to keep me cool. We saw a young man that was there to pick up his girlfriend get down on one knee and ask her to marry him. She was totally shocked and said yes!! He slipped the ring on her finger and everyone around clapped and cheered. It brought tears to my eyes. Very cute.

I'm already shopping around for our next cruise. I hope I get my land legs back before we sail again. Those last few kinda rough days as sea really had us rocking when we got home. I was sure that we had earthquakes one night but there was nothing in the news about it so it must have been the ship still rocking at home.

I think we're going to try Holland America next time and we're going to go just my husband and I and maybe another couple. I hope this wasn't too long, I know I used to love reading reviews of people's experiences and wanted to return the favor. Less

Published 05/24/07

Cabin review: 8A5120 Balcony

Read All Balcony (8A) Reviews >>
Read more Carnival Miracle cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Miracle Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Miracle Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Member Since 2002
22 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Skip X

See Carnival Miracle deals up to 82% off:

October Deals
Carnival Miracle 76% Loved It

15 Night Carnival Journeys - Hawaii Cru
See all Carnival Miracle Deals >>