3. Radiance of the Seas
This was our 11th cruise and first on Royal Caribbean. Our other 10 cruises have all been on Princess. As in all cruises there were things that were great and other things that were disappointing. First let me say that the Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship and even far exceeded my expectations. We liked all the public rooms on the ship and even felt many were more attractive then Princess [the Schooner Bar, the Atrium, the Sports Bar, and the Movie Theatre were great]I also liked the way the Centrum shops were displayed. The dining room was a pleasant surprise as I thought it was quite pretty being so large. I did not care for the pools as much as Princess. The Solarium was pretty, but had salt water and was always crowded and the outdoor pool and bar area looked old and tired. I also did not care for the lounge chairs that looked old and needed to be replaced. I also felt that there was a definite lack in the number of lounge chairs on the ship as a whole. I have never felt this on Princess and feel they have a greater number of pools, are more attractive and use fresh water. The ship has been well maintained and for a 6 year old ship in most areas looks like new. STATEROOM We had a Grand Suite 1554 in the middle of the ship and on the rounded part in the middle. We loved this room, the configuration, the size, the bed as well as the couch and chairs were comfortable and the bathroom was great with 2 sinks bathtub shower and lots of room. Everything part of this room looked new. It was good that we had an over-sized closet, since our luggage was too big to fit under the bed. The only disappointment was the balcony that got very little sun due to the overhang from the pool deck and narrowness from being on the bump out. The lounge chairs were also very dated. DINING We had first seating and really enjoyed our 2 table-mates. The service was outstanding, but the food we felt was the worst of any cruise we have been on.[Bland and poor selection] An 8 day cruise and I only gained 1 lb.and ate steak more in a week then I do in a year because of no selection. We felt the food was like a poor coffee shop. The Windjammer cafe was a beautiful room, but we did not care for the food and the selection remained the same for breakfast and lunch all 8 days. We even tried the dining room once for breakfast with the same menu. This is the area that I felt that Royal Caribbean can't compete with Princess. We ate 1 night in the Pinnacle Grill and it was just a little better. ENTERTAINMENT I like the main theatres on Princess better and feel there singing and dance troops are better. However we did see 2 great shows The Diamonds, and El Gaucho that were outstanding. PORTS We both really enjoyed the ports of call. We walked San Juan Puerto Rico and loved the El Morro Fort and felt that much of the town looked liked New Orleans; We took the Tram in St. Thomas and had a great overview of the ships and town. We also purchased some jewelry. In St. Martin we did the Shopping and Yacht tour visiting the French side and taking a Catamaran in Simpson Bay which was great fun. Antigua we just took an overview visiting Shirley Heights and Nelson Dockyard which I enjoyed. In the Bahamas we took the tour over to Atlantis to see the resort and aquariums and had a great time. GENERAL INFORMATION We loved the Captain of this ship; he is funny and the most personable of any we have met in the past. Has anyone been on a ship where they called out names of passengers that were not back on at sailing time. Well this time it happened to me, but I was on the ship and in bed. We made a short stop in St. Croix.8PM-11PM, so I re boarded at 10PM, but they did not log me in. We retired around 11;30 and at midnight Security knocked on our door asking my husband if he had seen me. He said I was in bed when the Security asked him again if he had seen me well they needed to see me so there I was in bed saying here I am. I am not upset that they held the ship for me or questioned my husband if maybe he had hurt me, but I sure was upset at the guy responsible for checking passengers back on the ship. There were also over 500 children on the ship that at 1;30 in the morning rang doorbells and knocked on doors and the ships staff did not seem to care. SUMMARY As I said there were things about the cruise I really enjoyed, but unfortunately the things I didn't care for out weighed the good and back to Princess I go. We are going to Alaska in July on the Sapphire Princess and back the Caribbean next February on the new Emerald Princess.

Radiance of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean