3. Westerdam
Some people refer to these coastals as 1-3 day "Booze Cruises" and I'm here to debunk that. Here's my recap (long overdue) of my Westerdam 1 day and if you have any Q's, PLEASE email me. I'll be happy to answer.

*****

I've been on 2 1-Day coastals and have a 1 day and 2 3-day cruises set for this year. I not only think they're a blast but would hope that the fact I'm going on 5 within 2 years gives you some kind of idea.

-Did they memorize my name? Actually they did. And we had a WONDERFUL conversation and ship tour with the Westerdam's Hotel manager, Ron Bontenbal. AMAZING guy by the way... -Did the bartenders remember my favorite cocktail? Yes they did. George in the Lido Bar on the Volendam and BJ at the Atrium Bar in the Westerdam were AMAZING friendly guys. They also knew every drink I ordered. Even some that I thought were totally abstract and maybe specific to the place I first had it... Not the case! -Was there anything going on in the Culinary Arts Center? No... but it was a ONE DAY CRUISE so I didn't expect anything to. (Plus I got a tour of the galley, the Pinnacle Grill, the main dining room and some other behind the scenes areas so I didn't even notice.) -Were the shows good? We missed the show on the Volendam, but the show "Grand Tour" on the Westerdam was phenomenal and because of some particular emotional ties to one of the songs, I even got a little emotional DURING it... Definitely brilliant! -The menu/dining room? Amazing as always. I've NEVER had a bad meal on these ships and only wish the previous sailings I've been on were more than one day to SEE if they remembered. (I'm sorta picky ) But our tablemates were great (and a GREAT cross section of America at our table of 10) -Was I completely and totally depressed I had to get off the following morning? OF COURSE! But it totally had me drooling and waiting to take another cruise.

Due to the fact I work literally ALMOST EVERY DAY and it's at times hard to get time off work, I appreciate these cruises as they're affordable, easier to get time off and I can manage a 7 day cruise each year... even if over the course of a 6 month period...

Plus, my mom has had some medical issues, didn't want to go super far from home or for a long time, but desperately wants to see a HAL ship. So that explains the return to the Oosterdam in September! It'll celebrate Her 60th, my 26th, my best friend's 26th and her friend's XXth (I don't know her )

The quality of service and entertainment is just as good as I've heard on every other person's 7-114 day cruise mentioned on here and consistent with Holland America experiences I'm had previously. I look forward to many more sailing with HAL and have 3 planned throughout 07 and am already planning something for the Eurodam's inaugural season once she comes across to North America!

Westerdam - Pacific Coastal

Westerdam Cruise Review by InTheWASide

• Sail Date: September 2006
  • Destination: British Columbia
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

*****