3. Pride of America
Our family of four decided to take this cruise from Honolulu to three neighboring islands over Spring Break. The Pride of America is a large ship, although not super-sized and we had a bit over 2,000 guests on our cruise. The ship is well maintained and clean throughout. Most of the employees take pride in their work and seemed happy to be on board. The price of the cruise was a bit higher than anticipated, but overall the cruise was great and we had a fun time. We purchased our tickets using the ticket office on base as I am active duty military. We saved about $50 off the NCL price. Cabins We opted for two cabins instead of one so four adults (kids: 14, 23 yrs) wouldn’t be stuffed into one room with only one bathroom. Suite options were a bit expensive, and not all suites have multiple bathrooms, so we decided on one balcony and one ocean view room. As we made reservations late, our rooms were not near each other. The balcony was room 7648 and the ocean view was 4588. Cabin 7648: This seems to be a standard balcony cabin and was sold as such. However, once we got to the room, we found it had a partially obstructed view. There was nothing in front of the window, but the life boats were only two cabins forward of our room blocking any forward looking view. Also, a life saving equipment crane on deck 6 would be in any photo from the balcony as it rose up towards deck 7. I tried to change rooms once on board, but the cruise was sold out. Otherwise, this cabin was OK. Walking space was tight as the king sized bed was only 12 or 18 inches from the wall. The small shelves and cabinets did help with stowing gear, and the space under the bed was perfect for storing suitcases. The bathroom was sufficient and had a medicine cabinet behind one mirror. Before we embarked, I called NCL to inquire if the room had bathrobes…they told me it did not. Once we were in the room, I did not see any robes, but after dinner we had robes. I don’t know if this is because I complained about the view or because I called NCL. See cabin section of review for more. Cabin 4588: This is a ADA compliant room which was a bonus for us. We only requested a standard ocean view cabin, but this is the cabin we were assigned. This cabin had two single beds, a nice desk area, two sitting chairs with a table, good storage, and a huge bathroom. There was plenty of room to walk as the space between the foot of the bed and the wall was an easy 8 feet. This cabin is located on the port side in the middle of the ship. It was directly port of the mid-ship elevators which made accessing any area on the ship super easy. Most disembarkation took place on the 3rd deck below this cabin, making shore trips that much easier. Food and Dining Overall, food on this cruise ranged from delicious to unremarkable. Aside from the buffet and lunch lines, dinner service took a long time but could be sped up if the guest is in a hurry. We ate breakfast at the Aloha Café or Moderno every day. I liked the selection of main and side dishes, and the bacon was fresh and crispy all the time. My wife was disappointed by the pastry selection as they did not have the fruit pastry she liked. Although some of the selections changed daily, most breakfast foods, including pastries, were the same every day. We have to comment on the service at this buffet…it was good. Everyone was friendly and helpful. My wife likes plain French toast, but the buffet had thick bread with cinnamon and raisins. We asked Yessi, the cook behind the line, if they could make plain French toast and they did. It took a few minutes, but 4 out of 6 days we had fresh French toast made to order. On the third day, Yessi actually made it without us requesting it, but that day we tried the buffet selection, so Yessi waited for our request before making the special order. During our cruise, sunrise happened just past 0630. I normally woke at 0600 and had enough time to find a spot on the aft deck and then get coffee and breakfast in plenty of time to witness a beautiful sunrise. The buffet and the tables were not crowded at this time, but everything got busy at 0700. Of note, coffee is available on the Aloha line, but there is also a coffee/drink station near the aft deck on the starboard side…it is much closer to the aft dining area. We hardly ate lunch on the ship, but the few times we did, we had BBQ dishes (burgers, dogs, chicken, ribs) or main dish items in the buffet. Nothing special to report, but nothing bad either. We ate dinner at the buffet once and enjoyed a few dinner-time snacks as well. The menu changed a little every day and each meal had a carving station with a different meat each night. The crepe station made a good, fresh dessert, and soft serve ice cream was available too. For dinner, our rooms had been booked while NCL was running a special that included OBC and the Ultimate Dining Package (UDP). We ate at Cagney’s twice, Skyline MDR, East Meets West, La Cucina, and the Teppanyaki. Reservations for the first two nights were easy to secure, but after that it was tough to get in when we wanted. We ended up eating teppanyaki at 2130 and Cagney’s at 2100 later in the cruise. Teppanyaki only sits 32 customers at each of three sittings, so it is the toughest to get into. I strongly recommend advance reservations for all UDP choices. Cagney’s had the best food. The arugula salad was quite tasty and is recommended. The chicken drumsticks are sweet and sour, but quite tasty. The prime rib confit is a small appetizer but packed with flavor and is served with tast pita bread. I liked the bread and garlic butter served early in the meal. The bison was unremarkable but the filet mignion (5 and 8 oz), leg of lamb, and rib eye steaks (12 or 16 oz, I forget) were delicious. My favorite was the sea bass which fell apart with the slightest touch of my fork. All meat dishes were cooked exactly as ordered. Service was good, but it did take at least 90 minutes for each meal. La Cucina also pleased our palates. The restaurant was breezy which made it cool throughout dinner. I feel as if the staff closed the front door this problem would have disappeared. The lasagna and pizza (served as appetizer, but full size pizza) was tasty but the lobster pasta was just so-so…maybe I am not a good judge though as I don’t eat much lobster. Of note, the chocolate raspberry tart for dessert was delicious. East Meets West is also home to the Teppanyaki. Our first night at EMW, we only had 60 minutes before the magic show. We let our team (Kwan and Austin) know we had a timeline and they made sure we met it. Orders were placed in an expedite status and we never had to wait for the next dish. The chicken kung pao and orange beef was OK, the sweet and sour pork was so-so, and the dessert was all delicious. Teppanyaki was disappointing. The show during the meal prep was great, but the food was not that good. We started with a salad which was OK. Once the chef came out, we had fried rice and then the main dish prepared in front of us. The shrimp was good, but the steak did not have much flavor. The dessert was highlighted by the ginger cake served with green tea ice cream. Finally, the Skyline MDR was disappointing. I don’t remember what we had. The food was not bad, but it wasn’t very remarkable either. The service seemed all over the place and there was no organized entertainment aside from the live music in the center. Our server brought us our food but never made a connection with us. She also never used the word YES. Everywhere else on the ship, people said yes or yes sir, but this particular server’s reply was yeah. Not that I care what people say, but her words were not up to par with other staff on the POA. Finally, the mai tai served at the Waikiki Bar on the 13th deck was well prepared and taasted good. The drink was served with a mint leave, an orange, and a stick of cinnamon. I had never had cinnamon in a mai tai before, but will be trying this one at home in the future. The dress code for all UDP and the Skyline is casual, but not swimwear or flip flops, although we did see a few dinners in flip flops. NCL seems to try to keep the restaurants looking classy but doesn’t refuse service to the few customers who don’t meet the dress code. Liberty MDR and the Jefferson Bistro both require a bit more though, collared shirts for men and dresses for women. Of note, once on the ship, we received a note offering us $100 credit towards excursions in each port if we didn’t use the UDP. This was a per cabin credit. I think you could have used one, maybe two nights, of the specialty dining, and then turned it in for credit. As we were booking our own excursions, we kept the UDP. Itinerary Disclaimer up front…you will not be relaxed or refreshed after this cruise. As the POA docks in a new port every day and there are no days at sea, you feel rushed to do as much as you can in a short amount of time. The cruise is a good cruise, but you will stay busy or have to choose to skip a port if you want to simply relax. We stopped in Maui, Hilo, Kona, and Kauai. We over nighted in Maui and Kauai. This ship will sail by any active lava flows on the big island, but as none are active now, the POA simply sailed from Hilo to Kona. We took our cruise in March, which is in the winter whale season. Whales were seen while sailing into and out of port in Maui, Hilo, and Kona. Dolphins and a whale were seen near the ship while anchored off the coast of Kona. With a family of four and a budget, we did not use any of NCL’s excursions. Instead we rented cars and planned our own trip. One thing to keep in mind if you do this is the time required to get and drop off your car. If you have reservations, you can take the rental companies’ shuttles from the pier, but you will have to wait in line at the pier and again at the airport. In Maui, this process took over an hour, in Hilo and Kauai, about 45 minutes. Entertainment We did not see any of the musical and dance acts. We did enjoy the magic show and the comedy show. The ship’s magician is Charles Bach. He pulls off some cool parlor tricks in a smaller show in the Mardi Gras lounge and then some bigger tricks in the main showroom. On the sail to the Napali Coast, he escapes from chains and locks while underwater in the ship’s pool. He was under water for nearly 3 minutes! The comedian was Michael Sommerville. His act had me in tears, but it seems to be much the same as the act he performed last year on Letterman. I think this was his last cruise, so expect a new comedian in the future. In summary, we had a good time on POA. The staff was attentive and friendly. The pricing was a little high, but POA does have a monopoly on this specific market. We would do this cruise again in the future, but would adjust our shore activities based on personal preferences. Mike

Pride of America Hawaiian Islands Cruise, mid-March 2015

Pride of America Cruise Review by climbmike

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony
Cabins
See cabin section of review for more.
Food and Dining
Itinerary
Mike
climbmike’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Family Balcony
Cabin B3 7648
This seems to be a standard balcony cabin and was sold as such. However, once we got to the room, we found it had a partially obstructed view. There was nothing in front of the window, but the life boats were only two cabins forward of our room blocking any forward looking view. Also, a life saving equipment crane on deck 6 would be in any photo from the balcony as it rose up towards deck 7. I tried to change rooms once on board, but the cruise was sold out. Otherwise, this cabin was OK. Walking space was tight as the king sized bed was only 12 or 18 inches from the wall. The small shelves and cabinets did help with stowing gear, and the space under the bed was perfect for storing suitcases. The bathroom was sufficient and had a medicine cabinet behind one mirror. Before we embarked, I called NCL to inquire if the room had bathrobes…they told me it did not. Once we were in the room, I did not see any robes, but after dinner we had robes. I don’t know if this is because I complained about the view or because I called NCL. Cabin 7648 is located on the port side towards the aft of the ship. It is close to the aft elevators, which made accessing the main dining room and the Aloha Café easy. From our balcony, we had good views of the Napali Coast and picturesque views in every port…well, some were better than others.Our room steward was Andi. He always had the room made up or turned down as appropriate. He was friendly whenever he saw us, but we really only saw him a few times. He was not as omnipresent as stewards had been on previous cruises. This may be due to us spending more time on shore instead of on the ship.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Hilo
    We were still tired from the activities on Maui, so we got a late start in Hilo. We were still able to stop by Rainbow Falls and then visit Volcano National Park. VNP is a nice park and it would be a great place to stay several days and hike or bike the many established trails. We only spent an hour or so at VNP and then returned to Hilo. After once again finding some Korean food in Hilo we returned to the ship.
    View All 569 Hilo Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Hilo Cruise Port Review
  • Kauai
    Kauai – Day 1 – This was the easiest port to get a rental car. For some reason, Thrifty was not busy when I showed up. It was partly cloudy as we pulled into Nawiliwili, so we had to cancel plans to visit Waimea Canyon. We made same day reservations for zip lining in Poipu. Skyline Eco Adventures provided a couple of hours of fun and entertainment in the hills above Poipu. There was a short uphill hike involved and eight lines to zip down. The weather alternated between sunny and a light misting, but then turned into a light rain by the last zip line. We finished just in time to not get soaked! Although I anticipated the lines would be inside the forest, all 8 lines ran from hilltop to hilltop above any vegetation. Still, it was a good trip and we all had fun. Again, this outfit offered a military discount which was about half price off of anything NCL offered. Recommended! On the way back to the ship, we drove up the east coast a bit, passing the Wailua River and stopping at the heiau and waterfall just uphill from the Wailua River.Kauai – Day 2- As we had returned the car the day before, we stayed near the ship. Two local tourist shopping centers are within a 15-minute walk and both offer complimentary shuttles. We checked out the shops and hung out on the beach by the Marriot. Kalapakiu Beach was a beautiful beach, which is likely made possible by high room rates at the Marriot. The beach boys here had good prices for stand up paddle boards and other beach gear.
    View All 537 Kauai Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kauai Cruise Port Review
  • Kona (Kailua Bay)
    Kona is a tender port. The process to tender to shore is straight forward and well managed, but it did take about 30 minutes to get on shore. Rental cars are not available in Kona without taking a taxi to/from the airport. We didn’t need a car, though, as there is plenty to do in Kona. We rented stand up paddle boards and a kayak and enjoyed the water. We also took an undersea voyage in the Atlantis submarine. Of note, with a military discount, we paid $45 each for the sub tour. The rack rate was $115 and NCL charged something like $140. There is also plenty of shopping, dining, and drinking near the pier. Kona Brewing Company is a short 15 minute walk from the pier and this is where my son and I spent the afternoon. KBC has a brewery tour, but reservations are recommended as all tours were full by the time we arrived. Instead, we enjoyed beer samplers and some delicious kahlua pork-topped nachos.
    View All 387 Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port Review
  • Maui
    Maui – Day 1 – I picked up the rental from Thrifty and returned to the pier to gather the family. We then started off to the Road to Hana…with a pit stop at Krispy Kreme! Little did we know, KK would be the highlight of the day as most of the family did not enjoy the drive. Motion sickness medication applies to this road trip as much as it does when at sea. The Road to Hana is an easy, safe drive if you are a confident driver. There are a few roadside waterfalls to stop at…you can even walk in and swim at one or two of them. There are also many exhilarating vistas up and down the coast. The free arboretum is a bit overrated…also looks like it is recovering from some recent storm damage. Food and restrooms are limited throughout this trip. If on Maui for several days, I can see this being a nice day trip, but with a short time on island, I would not recommend it.Before this trip, we purchased and downloaded the Gypsy Guide for Maui. It was quite informative and served us well, but sometimes the GPS was a little off and announcements too late for us to turn off. This guide worked on the RTH and also the next day doing to Haleakala.Maui – Day 2 – We woke at 0300 and left the ship by 0345. Our goal was to observe the sunrise from the peak of Haleakala. If you want coffee, gum, or other snacks for the drive, you either need to purchase the night before or stop at the gas stations heading towards the center of the island. There is a Starbucks in Volcano, but it doesn’t open until after 0500. The super market next door, though, was open.The drive up the mountain was not as twisty as the previous day’s adventure. The road was very well maintained with clear lane and shoulder markings up until entering the national park. Once in the park, the road was still safe, but markings were a bit faded. The drive in the dark can make you nervous as it appears as if you are driving on the edge of a cliff with nothing to stop you from falling thousands of feet to your doom. When we went down the hill after sunrise, we saw this wasn’t the case except in a few spots.We arrived at the peak’s parking lot at about 0545, an hour before sunrise. The temperature was a balmy 43 degrees Fahrenheit. We eventually got out and walked around in the dark and used the restrooms. The gift shop also has a viewing area, is heated, and opened at about 0630. We waited with a few hundred other people for sunrise and were greeted with a beautiful arrival of the sun over the clouds. I definitely recommend this trip. Once the sun came up, we realized we were not at the top of the hill. Instead, we had stopped at a large parking lot a few hundred feet short of the summit. There was a road leading up to the summit and the large shelter on it, but I do not remember seeing this road when we arrived…perhaps parking at that level was already full. Parking in the main lot did fill up…probably around 0630.We eventually returned to the ship for breakfast and a short nap. Then we headed out to find some Korean food to satisfy my wife’s need for kimchi. Yelp helped us find what we needed. There are a few Korean restaurants and groceries just north of Kahului. Instead, we decided to drive to Kihei and find the Korean BBQ, Isana, near the beach. We swam in the ocean a bit and then enjoyed Kalbi for lunch. Isana is a little expensive for Korean, but the food and service were good. Kihei is an easy drive from Kahului…taking only about 30 minutes.The overnight lot is currently being worked on so the only parking is about a 10-15 minute walk from the ship. Sunday night, it filled up by sunset time. I don’t know where other cars parked. If you are picking up or dropping off people, the guard will let you in closer to the pier. You simply explain what you want to do, show your card, and use the taxi drop off area.
    View All 618 Maui Cruise Port Reviews