3. Britannia
This is a beautiful ship with all amenities as you would expect from a modern ship. People with disabilities have been catered for, even to a lift to lower them into the pool and a stair lift to enable them to get to higher decks where lifts do not go. A grab and go on the lido deck where cheese, ham etc. rolls are available to help yourself if you want a snack, after 18 cruises I haven’t seen anything quite like this before. It’s quick and easy just take what you want and either take it to your table or back to your cabin. I’ve never known room service to be so quick, 15 minutes from ordering to arrival. This is ideal if you don’t want to go for lunch. I only used it twice but was impressed. Evening entertainment was very good especially the Headliners. Their presentation of Once Upon a Time was spectacular, even in pantomimes when I was much younger I have never seen the likes. They even had a gigantic spider coming out over the audience, brilliant. All the other show rooms, I’m told, were very good, it’s just a pity I never had chance to see them as they were always full. Too many people too few venues. Many people will be impressed with this ship; unfortunately I’m not one of these people. I’ve sailed on nearly all P&O ships so feel qualified to voice my opinion and I’m afraid this ship isn’t for me. I found the cabins too small for the three of us, myself, my wife and my son. My son slept on a bunk which is accessed via a ladder at the foot of the bed, when this ladder is in position it blocks access to the bathroom and it has to be removed, which can be quite noisy at 3am. I dread to think how four people would cope as our cabin was a four birth. The TV is huge which unfortunately doesn’t apply to the balcony which is very small. To use the relaxer you have to turn it sideways, there is no room any other way. The biggest complaint I heard from other passengers was the lack of a promenade deck which is usually on deck seven. If you want to stroll around the ship you have to go to deck seventeen and if it is raining you will get very wet. On a traditional promenade deck this would not happen. Although the weather was poor, got soaked in Gibraltar, the wind wasn’t that strong but the ship still moved more than I’ve experienced on other ships in similar conditions. Even members of the crew said they felt a little queasy on certain days, for a ship this size this is unusual. I’ve booked another cruise next year to the Caribbean but stipulated it must not be on Britannia so I will be sailing on Azura which I have sailed on before.

P&O Britannia Maiden Voyage