3. Celebrity Solstice
We have just returned from our Australia Top End cruise feeling very disappointed by the experience because of the reasons listed: Dining Room: Almost every meal served was not hot, only warm, the meat being very tough and the fish very dry. On several occasions we returned our meals but in the end just gave up. We were served far better meals in pubs ashore and my wife even preferred a salmon dish served in an in flight meal on our way out to Australia, a sad indictment indeed. The waiters worked very hard but seemed to be constantly rushing around leading to mistakes in orders, obviously understaffed. Entertainment: The first production show “Ghostlight” was excellent but unfortunately it was all downhill from there with a selection of sub standard guest performers. Even the resident lounge and bar performers were given their own shows in the theatre, several times in fact, the icing on the cake being the cruise director doing a spot in one show and putting together an ad hoc acapella group including himself, two production singers, a dancer, and even a horn section artist, treating us to FIVE songs on the last night's show. Recycled sub standard entertainment for sure. Itinerary: Firstly Port Hedland, the dust covered iron ore capital of Australia. Even the cruise director made jokes about the place several times on stage, and how right he was. A post office, supermarket, red dust and lots of it! I would expect an allegedly five star cruise company to come up with something a little more exotic than this offering. It says it all when the only shore excursion was to an iron ore plant. Then we came to Cairns, I hear it it's a lovely place because we didn't actually get to see it due to a noon arrival time and an absolute shambolic tendering operation. We gave up after standing in a queue for two hours after our tender number was called, while the operation was started and stopped repeatedly. No doubt the health and safety excuse will be rolled out, but all the fare paying excursion passengers managed to be tendered ashore before operations were suspended, strange that! Maybe upping the ship's speed from a very leisurely fuel saving 14 knots a little would have got us there earlier, thus improving the lack of time issue. On the plus side, our cabin was excellent and the staff very friendly, but my overriding impression of Celebrity is of cost cutting at every turn which eventually is going to cost them dear. I had another cruise booked with Celebrity in November which I have now cancelled even though I have lost my deposit. No way will we be cruising with Celebrity again.

Very Disappointing