3. Enchantment of the Seas
Background: This was a Spring family trip for my wife and I along with our daughter(7) and son(3). We have sailed with Royal Caribbean before on the Sovereign of the Seas in Spring 2006. We have also sailed on the Disney Magic twice and have a Transatlantic cruise on the QM2 booked for this summer for just my wife and I for our 10th anniversary. Transportation: We booked our own flights from Charlotte to Ft. Lauderdale. We were a bit nervous given this was the first time we have ever flown down the same day as embarkation. This turned out not to be a problem given there were no delays or problems with the flight. We used Bradley Executive Limousine to get to the port using one of their SUVs. No problem with the transportation, but their prices were on the very high side and I wouldn't recommend them based upon that alone. Embarkation: This was a very smooth process. We arrived at about 11:00am so we had a little bit of waiting time before the process began. I wanted to give a big thumbs-up for the porter staff at the port. They were efficient, professional and very friendly. The boarding and check-in process was smooth and quick. The rooms were not ready when we boarded so we headed up to Windjammer for some lunch and then walked around the ship. Rooms: We had 7516 and 7518 with connecting doors. These are D1 Superior Oceanview Rooms. This was quite an improvement compared to our experience on the Sovereign. The rooms were fairly spacious and views from the balcony were great. Unlike on the Sovereign, there was no "hump" in the middle of our Queen-configuration bed which was nice. The only problem we had was that the lock on the balcony door in our kids' room was not working. We reported this to maintenance, but no one ever came to look at it. This was a little bothersome given we certainly didn't want our children on the balcony without an adult. Public Rooms: The Centrum was quite a sight to behold rising up to the top of the ship. The pool areas were very spacious and the splash pool for the kids was a nice touch, however this was often closed due to windy conditions. The Solarium pool was absolutely beautiful with nice furniture and in top condition. The shopping area was your usual cruise clap-trap items and nothing special. The Orpheum theatre was very nice with comfortable seating and in very good condition. Food: All I can say is thank goodness for our Head Waiter, Francis. He made up for very sub-par service from our Waiter and Asst. Waiter. Francis was friendly and great with our children. He found out that we loved Indian food and brought out some samples not on the menu on two evenings. Often we were done with our appetizers and into our entrees before our drinks would arrive from our Asst. Waiter and our Waiter was not someone geared to work with the public. It wasn't that he was rude, he just had no personality and reacted negatively if we asked any questions after his rushed and brief commentary about the evening's menu. The food quality overall was good, but not great. There were a few dishes that deserved special recognition. The coconut-curry chicken that was in Windjammer's was fantastic. The tomato-basil soup in My Fair Lady was outstanding as well. We did not go to Chops Grille, but several passengers said it was very good. Spa-Fitness: The fitness area was well-designed. Often there were waits for the treadmills, but it depended on when you went. I don't think it was because there were not enough of them (there were about ten of them)...I think it was more related to it was Spring Break and there were a large number of young and active passengers. I had the pleasure of having my first hot stone massage at the spa and it was heaven. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our couple's massage (see comments under Service). The staff at both the spa and fitness area were very polite and helpful. My wife went to the "Fab Abs" class and gave it a strong thumbs up. Service: Unfortunately, this was an area that almost spoiled the entire cruise. In addition to the difficulties with service at dinner, the Guest Services department was absolutely horrible. The staff was often uninterested or blatantly rude on multiple occasions. Usually this is where cruise ships really stand out from other vacation options based upon our experience with previous cruises both with Royal Caribbean and on other lines. This was certainly not the case on this cruise. My wife and I booked a couples massage during a time that the Oceaneer's Club was closed. We requested in-room babysitting for this time and Guest Services. We knew that it may or may not be available, but the person at Guest Services was quite rude in telling us that she "would try, but don't count on it." We crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. As Day 4 of the cruise approached (along with the deadline to cancel the spa appointment without financial penalty), we still had heard nothing. We stopped by again to ask if there had been any progress, so we could cancel the massage if no one was available. The person at Guest Services did little to hide her annoyance on having to check this and told us she didn't have an answer for us. We explained to her about the spa deadline and she said we should cancel it. We were disappointed, but knew it was a possibility. The next day, a babysitter shows up at our room! We explained to her that we had cancelled this request because no one could tell us if we had a babysitter. The babysitter was annoyed and rudely told us as she left that we still might be charged for babysitting services. This was just one example of the blatantly poor attitude and assistance we received from this department. We are still deciding if this will keep us from the Royal Caribbean line in the future given we take about two to three cruises per year. Kids: The Oceaneer's Club had wonderful and friendly staff. The space itself was a little on the small side especially for the 3-5 year-old group, but the kids didn't seem to mind. They had a wide variety of activities and both of our children gave this an enthusiastic thumbs up. Ports of Call: We decided to stroll about Ocho Rios and shop with no scheduled shore excursions. The area was nice with good shopping. The taxi drivers were a bit too aggressive for my taste, but minor point. We did the combination Butterfly Farm/Nautilus Semi-Sub excursion in the Caymans. We enjoyed both of these and would highly recommend them especially if you are traveling with children. Debarkation: Just as smooth as boarding. I thought the system was well-organized and seemed to move at a good pace. The porters in the luggage area were friendly and helpful and there were plenty of them. Overall, a good cruise but almost completely spoiled by Guest Services. Usually one aspect of a cruise can't come close to spoiling the overall experience, but this aspect was so bad...it almost did.

Enchantment of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean