• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Norwegian Jewel Review

Editor Rating
16 Awards

A good but not a great cruise

Review for Norwegian Jewel to the Eastern Caribbean
johndred
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Nov 2014
Cabin: Mid-Ship Balcony
Traveled with children

From the start I noticed issues. I'll keep it brief: clearly an understaffed ship. Service in bars and restaurants, including the pay restaurants, was brisk, harried, with some service personnel snapping at each other due to being overwhelmed. I watched one bartender literally sweating, alone, behind a bar trying to keep up with the orders and it wasn't happening. He got on the phone and begged for help but none arrived. Felt bad for him to be honest; these people already work hard as it is. Cagney's was excellent; again service was a problem. Chin Chin was quite simply, awful. No other way to put it. Service again was bad, but worse than any other place, and food went into the trash. I saw this happening at most other tables. We waited an hour for food that was not good at all, an no compensation of any kind, not even a visit to our table by the maitre'd. The French restaurant was excellent, but again service was rushed. So sad, because I'm happy to pay for the meal, but slow down and let me enjoy. Cabin service was excellent, pool side was fun and lots of food options to choose from. Saw some great shows as well. But overall it was just meh. The overall service was enough for me to steer clear of this line forever.

Mid-Ship Balcony

Cabin was in a great location; cabin steward like all of them was fantastic.

Port Reviews

Cozumel

Booked excursion prior to departure. I never go with ship tours, too expensive. Cozumel was pretty but it's Mexico... We got a guy to take us around the island for the full day. Stops were ok, food was meh. Next time I will hit up a resort for the day.. they looked awesome as we passed by. Live and learn.

Belize City

Again booked my own. Drove 1.5 hours through the countryside with Cave Tubing with Vitalino Reyes' outfit. Amazing people who took excellent care of us the entire day. Great Q and A as drove all about the country and it's history etc. Great walk through the jungle with loads of info and plants and their use. Just really, really cool. Cave tubing was crowded but still amazing. You have to do it.

Banana Coast (Trujillo)

Booked with Tranquility Bay. Tujillo is the wild west: unspoiled, cheap and simply outstandingly beautiful visually. People friendly and not pushy either. The TBay resort is beautiful, the owners awesome, the food and drink good and cheap. Lots to do or not; they have activities as well as a beautiful beach you can lay about on or hang out at their bar. It was the best day ever, and my kids loved it especially. Go here.

1 Helpful Vote