3. Explorer of the Seas
My review sounds exactly like the previous one posted by ljpinko. We selected Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas based on the many good reviews and recommendations we received. This was the 1st cruise for 2 people in my party and we had planned on this vacation for over 9 months. From embarkation it was clear that our cruise was not going to be anything like the reviews we read. We felt that we were being discriminated against based on age because of the multitude of crazy spring breakers. The staff would never smile at us and always seemed aggravated when we would ask any question. The answers were always blunt and given with attitude. Basically the crew was unfriendly and the service was extremely disappointing. Not even during the formal dinners could we receive consistent or relaxed service. We gave up asking for our requests and eventually stopped going to the formal dining room all together. The smell of marijuana emulating in the hallways and over our balcony was disgusting. But not quite as disgusting as the condom box left in the hallway or the drunk college girl throwing up in the hallway. I understand that this was the last time the ship was being run before a month long dry dock for renovations but I don't feel that means they should have stopped cleaning midway through our cruise. The glass was becoming progressively dirtier throughout the boat and the drink spills were outweighing the clean carpet. Our room was a gorgeous room, even if I did dust it myself once I arrived. We got the junior suite with a balcony which I recommend as it came with a full shower, tub and a walk in closet. On our first day out to sea we received a notice saying that the maintenance crew wanted to close our balcony for 4 hours to paint and clean it. Why they would have chose to try and do this on a day when we were on the boat all day is beyond my understanding. If they were going to do maintenance pick a day when people are more likely off the boat. Regardless I felt there was no way I was giving up a balcony that I had to pay for during my cruise. Many of the amenities on the boat were inaccessible or not in working order. The beautiful fish tanks we saw pictures of in other reviews were emptied of water and looked dirty. The boat lotto did not work most nights, the "Build a Sea Friend" stuffed animal machine was out of order the entire cruise, access to the bars, pools, hot tubs and casino card tables was basically impossible. The 1 night I finally made it up to the pool deck I found all of the 24-hour pools and hot tubs were closed for maintenance with the exception of 1 pool and 1 hot tub. The hot tub was full of college kids so that left the pool for us to try and enjoy. While sitting on the edge of the pool soaking our legs two men came and started putting a net over the pool without saying a word to us. When confronted they just said "pool closed". Nothing else. It was extremely rude. The casino card tables were surrounded by spring breakers who had no respect for casino etiquette. The dealers were even frustrated with the antics from both the players (I use the term loosely) and the loiterers as they were drunk and rude to the dealers. The final straw that made me go to the customer service desk was the poker tournament. We signed up for the poker tournament and arrived in the appropriate area approximately 15 minutes prior to the game start. Approximately 15 minutes after it should have begun I went to the casino clerk to find out what was going on. I was told it was cancelled because only 1 person signed up. The fact that no one could have contacted us or even came over to the table was just 1 more slap in the face from the service. When I went to the customer service desk to try and talk with someone about all the less than satisfactory experiences mainly regarding the crew and staff of the ship I was met with again disappointment. The rude customer relations representative handed me a blank piece of copy paper and told me to put my concerns/ complaints into the "We Want Your Feedback" box. I asked what would happen when I put it in. He told me someone would contact me within 24 hours. The cruise ended without me hearing anything back from anyone. This review doesn't include all of the bad service, disrespectful college antics (like throwing furniture overboard) and overall complaints but it encompasses most of the problem. When you book any vacation or have any service provided you expect to be treated as though you are an important customer. This was not the case in any way on Royal Caribbean. After the cruise I voiced some of my complaints on the emailed survey and also put in a formal complaint on Royal Caribbean's website (which the website did not operate correctly to take my complaint on the first 10 tries). To date I have not heard anything back except for generic email auto-responses. My husband and I are already planning our next cruise for November but are not looking at any offered by Royal Caribbean.

Terrible Service From Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by cruiser863

To date I have not heard anything back except for generic email auto-responses.
cruiser863’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

Would recommend a Junior Suite over any other stateroom as it was spacious and comfortable. Having a full size tub and shower was great. The walk in closet was also a great perk. However do not expect to get any treatment as if you booked a "real" suite.
  Explorer of the Seas Deck Plans