3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
A couple of years ago we managed to book a 2 night cruise on Queen Elizabeth - we were so impressed that when the opportunity came up for a short trip on the Queen Mary 2 during her world cruise we jumped at it. We joined the ship in Brisbane where embarkation arrangements were fairly chaotic. Check in and issue of cruise cards was completed on board which made a pleasant office environment for the shore based check in staff. Once we had completed the formalities there was no one to welcome or direct us so we found our own way. We had expected a little better of Cunard. We were very pleased with our Princess Grills suite on deck 10 although initially surprised that the design of the ship had us looking down at the lifeboats rather than the water when on our balcony. Our first lesson in the differences found on an ocean liner rather than a cruise ship. Our cabin 10063 was well equipped and well located in the centre of the ship. The bathroom was roomy and there was heaps of closet space for a long cruise. A couple of days is not long to get a true feel for a ship but we certainly enjoyed our time on board. The ship is lovely - full of interesting memorabilia and a quiet classical atmosphere. Most of the staff were courteous rather than friendly and we didn't see any of the officers wandering the ship and talking to people as we often have on other cruises. We did like the bridge viewing area and the opportunity to see all the controls. We missed the outdoor areas that you usually find on cruise ships - the shaded sitting areas, the alfresco eating areas and the friendly bars but we could see how the layout would be ideal for transatlantic crossings. The promenade deck was spacious and well used. The Commodore's Club, the library and the Grills and Concierge lounges were some favourite places to spend time. The planetarium was a great experience and the guest lecturers were excellent. We enjoyed the shows we saw and the very talented musicians playing around the ship. We only met our stateroom attendant once - just after we boarded - but our room was kept clean and tidy and we were very comfortable. We really enjoyed our meals in the Princess Grills dining room - although it is less spectacular than the one on the QE it is a very pleasant venue. Food and service were good and I loved the Wedgewood crockery. A cup of tea tastes so much nicer in a Wedgewood cup! I was surprised to be told on the last evening that they could not do me a crepe suzette for dessert because I had not ordered it in advance. That struck me as rather odd but other than that we found the wait staff helpful and friendly. Our curiosity about the QM2 was satisfied and it would certainly be the ship I would choose for a transatlantic. Next year we would love to do a short trip on the Queen Victoria so that we have had the pleasure of sailing in all three ships of the line. I don't think Cunard will tempt us away from other cruise lines - their prices are high and they are seldom in Australian waters. But it was an experience not to be missed

A great opportunity to experience a famous ship

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by baycruising

baycruising’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Princess Suite
Cabin P1 10063
This is a centrally located suite on deck 10. The balcony has two lounge chairs and a small table. The bed was comfortable as was the lounge. Plenty of storage space including a writing desk and a large glass fronted cabinet holding a variety of glasses. Bathroom had the shower over the bath and was a good size.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins