3. Quantum of the Seas
Wow. There are a whole lot of Crankypants Curmudgeons looking for the negative and detailing every.little.thing. that annoyed them. We are a mature couple and we do like our creature comforts. And our cruising. Neither of us had our day (in paradise) ruined by such minutiae as touch sensitive elevator buttons causing more floors to be stopped at if people leaned against them. JEEEEEZ lighten up! We had all we wanted and expected, and our complaints were minor. This is a great ship. As we expect Anthem to be. We're already booked for next year. The Quantum was a blast! Embarkation was fast, we were seated for comfort, then called,it all happened within 15 minutes. She's a great big ship but not the biggest (smaller than Oasis and Allure we found) ship with a gorgeous solarium, elegant Windjammer dining area, fun and whimsical art, UNLIMITED WIRELESS THAT WORKED! And worked well, for a fee of course. Worth it. It's an entirely new experience, a wired ship, all the restaurants both complimentary and for a fee. The food was great! We did Windjammer mostly and there was plenty of variety daily. Menu didn't change much but there were some surprises. First, the food was not salty! It's a constant complaint with me, salt in lieu of flavor. Not here. I sampled many foods and was so pleased to find that they had cut the sodium. The BEST prime rib we ever had ( and we are choosy and foodies) was served from a huge steamship size cut....at not Chops but Windjammer. Wow just wow. How DID they do that? And the BEST braised beef - wow. The coffee was good and strong, thanks Royal!The chocolate desserts were delicious, no longer a pale imitation of true chocolate flavor. We were impressed with these things, as it was a step above other lines and prior RCCL cruises. I'd give the food an 8 of 10. We didn't realize we had to make reservations months in advance. We were able to get reservations on the onboard app once there. It took some getting used to but I hate the formal dining rooms so this worked out fine all around. We enjoyed Wonderland, some of Jamie's Italian, and Devinly was good. We had a waiter who seemed to hate us, no greeting, no follow up to drinks or ask how things were. By contrast the waiter in Wonderland seemed genuinely excited to share the experience and guide us. We loved Ed our cabin steward, we miss him! Just a sweet upbeat man, working hard, the soul of hospitality. I really like Ken Rush the cruise director, great sense of humor, presence, he's like the ultimate cruise director. Our balcony cabin was the roomiest ever, the large Samsung TV was a great surprise. We had his and her cabinets/closet- love what they did for storage, there was more than enough. Loved the footrests with the chairs on balcony, upped the comfort level a lot. Shows were great, hubby saw Mamma Mia and enjoyed it, we both enjoyed Sonic Odyssey. Cons- I couldn't use the outdoor deep pool because it had only ladders. I have a leg injury and couldn't count on being able to get in and out so I couldn't go in. I would have liked to get in a deeper pool but found the solarium pool and hot tubs nice. Too many higher end fine jewelry shops on board. Not enough stuff people,want to buy, wasted space. We're all seeing the fine jewelry stores ad nauseum at all ports, enough is enough. People want the usual cruise stuff and affordable things to buy and buy for gifts.mthis ship is bound for China, maybe that's for that market. This crowd wasn't buying. Kiehl's mini shop was a treat, sunglasses store=meh. Michael Kors bag shop onboard as well.He doesn't have an original bone in his body, all the bags were copies of Marc Jacobs bags, Kate Spade, Coach, Chanel. Any women who knows bags will know what I mean. Please break ties RCCL with Guess brand too: cheap and tacky. There was a higher end clothing and jewelry accessory shop, kind of expensive for this audience, some unknown and pricey brands of no real note design wise (I'm a jewelry designer) and much picked over on and empty on day one (!). Missed a long long Royal Promenade, it's dramatic and lively. Quantum had a truncated version that didn't have the same effect. Still nicer than the glorified stairwells of other lines. We've been to all the ports before. The one we will never return to is Martinique. RUDE,RUDE,RUDE. We heard its becuase we didn't speak French. Please. Stay away from their downtown, don't force your hard earned dollars on them. They don't want to feed you. Barely would sell us water. Maybe go on a ship booked tour so it doesn't harsh your cruise buzz. We loved having unlimited internet. This cruise was largely older to elderly, and everyone still (not just kids!) had a phone or tablet, as did we. I was able to work some and hubby likes to get ticked off over Facebook political news tidbits so we had that wireless comfort of home. As connected as we wanted to be, or not. Great idea, RCCL! For 12 great days she was our home, I give her five stars!

Don't Listen to the Cranky-pants, book the Quantum if you want to have