Costa Serena Cruise Review

DO NOT SAIL ON THIS SHIP!!!!!!!

Costa Serena Cruise Review by D_lou

• Sail Date: Mar 2015
  • Destination: the Middle East
  • Cabin Type: Mini Suite with Balcony

I really don't know where to start! A disaster from day 1. This was my 13th cruise and without any shadow of a doubt the worst ship and company I've ever sailed with.

There were however 2 good points......1. The few nice passengers we met 2. Getting off the ship

Never have I encountered such, rude, ignorant, miserable, unhelpful crew. EVERYTHING was a chore! If you want a drink fetch it yourself. We asked to be seated on a table just for 2 people at the lunch service, which I wish I'd never bothered for the trouble it caused. The waiters were mocking us for even asking, the reply was literally 'no, full'

Don't expect to have a choice of beverages, every wine I picked on the wine list was out of stock until they eventually TOLD me which wine I could have. Same with the beers, again I didn't have a choice. The ship was full and yet no stock.

Only 1 shop was open on board, the rest were screened over and a sign on every window closed for maintenance. As was the smoking room (closed after 2 days of sailing) and which will apparently never open again so wherever you may be on the ship you have to head to deck 10 outside.

3 days we went without air con EVERYWHERE on the ship. When I enquired the reply was simply 'later'. 1 morning we awoke to our toilet not flushing, again when enquiring all I got told was 'later' one and a half hour later still the same reply, I said I really need the toilet what am I supposed to do? 'Use a toilet on any deck at the front of the ship' why this couldn't have been explained the first time we asked I will never know. Rude rude rude!

Food......rubbish! Bland and some items inedible, wouldn't have fed them my dog. The veal shank was a mass of jelly and fat. The buffet.....good luck! We paid every morning to get breakfast in the cabin for the safe option as trying to even get near the food stations is a fight.....and believe me the food ain't worth fighting for.

We nearly got off the cruise early in 2 ports as we were so fed up. LUCKILY for us we were disembarking a day early anyway due to flights and even though we'd still paid for a full 7 nights cruise, our cruise cards got cut off on our last night even though we were in credit with the ship! They owed us and we couldn't get a drink!

It's not worth your time even complaining onboard because nobody could care less. There's no apologies, you get a grunt, a huff or a 'later'.

The cabin was ok, we had a suite but no robes, slippers or fruit bowl, other suites did. I mentioned this but apparently to have those amenities you have to pay for butler service?

All the fellow passengers we spoke to (English) said the same as us.....never again!

The best part was getting off the ship which we didn't get any help with our cases. Conveniently that day we were told 'today no porter service' so 2 women travelling alone struggled with 3 cases weighing 27kg each down the gangway. To be fair at this point I couldn't have cared less, I would have carried them on my head just to be off that pathetic excuse of a ship.

We had a fantastic 16 day holiday before embarking on the cruise and this just spoilt the holiday. Like I say this was my 13th cruise and have never had to make a complaint before.

Please think twice before booking on this cruise. You will save yourself a lot of hassle and money. Far better companies out there than costa and we will be taking this further in hope of being compensated.

D_lou's Full Rating Summary