Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Northern Rider

• Sail Date: Feb 2015
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony

We enjoyed the ship itself greatly. Our stateroom 8550 with balcony was small but comfortable. A strange problem we had on our last two nights was noise. Although we were over the entrance to the theatre the location in that respect was never a problem. Nor was the nearby elevator. The problem lay in loud speakers below us on the Deck seven promenade. For some reason, loud rock music played below our balcony and the deep base of the band penetrated our cabin on two nights. It did not bother my wife but the steady beat bothered me. I lay awake at 4:00 AM (or so) listening to it. At 5:00 AM I went to the front desk and a young man had the problem solved in 15 or so minutes. (It was turned off.) I was grateful to say the least. Oddly the music appeared again the next night at about 11:00 PM. This time I visited the service deck immediately and again the same young man addressed the problem quickly. I never knew why the music played as the sea had been unpleasant with no one on the promenade. I wondered if it was a controler turning on music in the navigation room not knowing it was piped over the entire promenade.

The food was good as was the service in the dining room. We did not like the Free Style concept as on the first three nights we could not be seated. We also said that we did not mind sitting with others but were always given a table for two. We never came away having met anyone we will remember. A beauty of cruising is meeting people.

The shows were the best we have had on a cruise. The dancers and singers were excellent and the magician terrific. The special show was a knockout!

Northern Rider's Full Rating Summary

Family Balcony
Cabin B3 8550

Our only complaint was the noise from below on the promenade deck at night...on two occasions. The public speakers were blaring below our cabin until about 6:00 AM in the morning. The next night they came on at about 11:00 PM. It was rock music and the bass was very aggravating. On both occasions a uniformed man at the general desk had them turned off. It was needless noise!

Belize City

I noticed on a cruise website that a family were frightened on taking a horse and buggy tour of Belize City. My wife and I hired a young man with a horse and carriage and had a very enjoyable time. The young man was friendly and amusing. At no time did we feel threatened and even stopped at a small variety store for a beer. The company was Gabourel and Son's Horse and Carriage and Trolley Tour. The total price was $30.00 for a one hour ride for the two of us, along the waterfront and through the downtown. Very enjoyable. After the ride we also ate in a local restaurant where locals dined, right beside the gate from the public pier. The food was excellent and the facility clean. Again we were made to feel welcome. Norwegian Dawn cruisers need to be aware that there is a gate on the side of the pier shopping strip that allows you to enter the city. That is where we found the carriage. At several other island piers along the way, tours were offered. They were less expensive I would say and provided an option to a cruise tour.

Northern Rider