3. Norwegian Getaway
My husband and I took this cruise to celebrate his military retirement. Both of us were looking to just take it easy and relax. Embarkation was easy and well organized. We arrived around noon and didn't wait long to get on the boat. Of course we were hungry and instead of going up to the Garden Cafe on Deck 15th, we went to one of the Complementary Restaurants on Deck 6 ( on the advice of one of the staff who greeted us on arrival). Glad she suggested this since it seems like almost everyone charged the Garden Cafe on arrival. My goal was to avoid the crowds!! We then went by and signed up for the Ultimate dining package...although there are 7 specialty restaurants you only get to choose 5 when you pay for specialty dining package...surprise! You get to see the Illusionarium show, with dinner, for "free" on Sunday night when you purchase Ultimate dining plan. Show was good, dinner was marginal at best. Favorite specialty restaurants were..Teppanyaki (our personal favorite), Cagney's and Le Bistro. Moderno had slow service and we ended up leaving before trying all the "offerings" of the Brazilian style steakhouse. La Cucina was nice as well with outdoor tables if you like. We ate at O'SHeehan's twice. Service was very slow here, seems understaffed and the food was ordinary. The first day, in the same area where we signed up for Ultimate dining, you could also sign up for the beverage packages (we skipped this since we don't drink) but we did purchase water, yep you have to purchase water bottles unless you want to drink tap and you are not allowed to fill up your personal water bottles at the drink stations. The water bottles are delivered to your stateroom the first day. They are large water bottles and 12 lasted us the whole week but cost a pretty penny. Next up, the Thermal Spa... I saw a few postings about the thermal spa before our cruise on the Norwegian website so was really looking forward to this. What I didn't realize and they didn't really specify is this...If you are in a spa balcony room or the Haven you get to access the thermal spa. All others must pay $200 per person for 7 day access. Of course, once we toured the area, and since I wanted peace and tranquility, not the cattle car experience, this was a must have for me. Next time I will just book a spa balcony room...which probably has the $200 per person neatly tied up in the price and I won't feel like I have to pay extra for everything, wink, wink! BUT the thermal spa was worth every penny we spent. With limited access and all the wonderfully relaxing features, this place hit the spot. We spent a lot of time here...especially on sea days. Can't say enough good things about this place. I did not enjoy walking through the smoking areas of the boat. They smell horrible, it permeates your clothing. Decks 6 - 8 have a lingering musty smokey smell...people are allowed to smoke in the casino areas and it is noticeable in several of the general areas on 6 - 8. So much so that we tended to avoid walking through these areas...very unpleasant. Our stateroom attendant was the sweetest person on the boat and she always remembered our names. Our cabin was clean, with plenty of room and noise from neighbors to the side and above was very minimal. I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was in our room. WiFi is available only for a price. And for the most part it is slow. For us, we needed to maintain contact with children and a 90 year old parent so we needed to buy WiFi to allow us to use a texting app in order to check in once a day. I limited myself to approx 16 minutes per day and paid 55$ for 100 minutes. But when we went down to the internet cafe to print off our boarding passes for the trip back my husband spent almost 20 minutes waiting for a connection....finally signed off and attempted again at a quieter time. Oh yeah and to print you pay 50 cents per page. If you are addicted to the internet you will spend lots of money getting your fix on this boat. Disembarkation was very well organized but what we learned was to take advantage of early disembarkation. You can leave the ship as soon as it is cleared by port officials but you have to carry all your luggage with you. You do not have to wait for your color coded call to disembark. This is what we will do next time. Overall we had an enjoyable cruise on a nice new ship with friendly people.

Nice if you pay for extras

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by vw1962

• Sail Date: February 2015
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Balcony Stateroom
Overall we had an enjoyable cruise on a nice new ship with friendly people.

vw1962’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Large Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B6 9124
Very nice room. Plenty of space for two people. Balcony was great, spacious with a table, two chairs and two chaise lounge chairs. Our cabin steward, Winnie was the sweetest, happiest person on the boat which is amazing considering how hard they work. She remembered our names from the first day. Bathroom was plenty big with a nice shower, never ran out of hot water! Rarely heard noises from neighbors to the side or above us. 9124 is quiet a ways from the elevators aft so be prepared for a long walk...narrow passageways too. You probably feel more motion in the aft section too but overall this room was a winner. Next time will probably go for a spa balcony room though because it includes access to the thermal spa.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach
    Abi Beach tour. Our group was the second group to try this new excursion. This beach was quiet and beautiful. Chairs available. Also a little bar/restaurant for you if you need a drink or food. Bathrooms too. Still under development but this is a great place for a quiet beach away from the crowds. Wish we had more time here. Boat crew very friendly and fun!
  • Snorkeling
    Full day...started at 0930 and returned at 4:00pm with lunch included ( fresh Mahi mahi). Went to several snorkeling sites and were able to see two green turtles up close! Sea was a little rough and visibility wasn't the best but still a very beautiful day on the water. Saw the French side and the Dutch side. A very good day.
    View All 129 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Nassau
    We got off the boat and walked around for about an hour. Nassau seemed dirty with lots of vendors pushing their wares. If I didn't have an excursion I probably wouldn't get off the boat unless you like crowded dirty ports.
    View All 5,949 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews