Adonia is a very nice ship Apart from the good food on this trip Entertainment is of a high standard. The crew are helpful and friendly ‘though the ship is old, not trendy To a wide range of tastes they have pandered. I enjoyed the entertainment choices Quizzes, concerts, talks and “voices” This is really how to fill one’s days at sea. Constant eating isn’t possible Well, it is but not weight lossable Life’s at a slower pace, we take it easy. For a wheelchair user, the flaws Are only two automatic doors. There are steps on most of the gang planks. With high sills and bumps in corridors Plus fixing hooks on most of doors One finds oneself often saying “Thanks”. On a trip like this the ship proceeds With all power at maximum speed And into a force seven, steady she ain’t. Some days this wet and windy ship Can really get upon one’s pip. On fine days, it all just stinks of paint. The Adonia theatre company deserve High praise for performing with verve They sing arrangements better than originals. With other tribute acts, the cause To show how good the artist was Do much less with all the same material. Good singing, shows and cabarets Plus excellently acted plays And the activities in which we all partake. A superb magician exemplified By contrast the over-amplified Musicians serve to keep us all awake. On cruises one should mention food And on this ship it’s very good But pretentious menus can be found on ships. If the menu option’s chancy And there’s stuff that you don’t fancy The standard options include steak and chips. There is a problem with the chips In that there will be only six But that situation, your waiter can fix. The crew are nice they’re are all the same They want you to learn their name Because they want an increased rate of tips. On organised trips with my wheelchair The thing I consider unfair Is not being allowed on a minibus. This is only a P&O rule And although I’m nobody’s fool I think Health & Safety’s the root of the fuss. Some people think that I’m a jerk. I’m not but my left foot don’t work. Most folks are sympathetic, some don’t care. For the past six years of my life I’ve been pushed around by my wife I can walk a bit but mostly use a wheelchair. So around the world we go Flying, cruising as you know Even driving my own car or using busses. Steps are easier than flat walking (My foot won’t bend as much) and talking Of pain it results in fewer cusses. Performers’ rules are common sense First, don’t insult your audience And as in life, the secret is to smile. To make an effective entrance Temper confidence with diffidence Give it oomph, then go that extra mile. Personality commands the floor Always leave them wanting more And never batter folks into submission. The willing suspension of disbelief Requires relaxation and relief From any threat of audience participation. Pretentious menus? I’ll give an example. Ways of serving potatoes- I sample.... New, roasted, noisettes, boulangére, Creamed, Cretan, crushed, macaire, Pomme purée, champ, Delmonico, Colcannon, mousseline, chateau, Duchess, hasselback, gratinée, Fondant, galette, rissolée, Tartiflette, marquis, dauphinoise Time-poached, bon-bons, Lyonnaise, There are more than twenty six Because, of course there’ also chips.

MS Adonia in a wheelchair

Adonia Cruise Review by PoetPete

Adonia is a very nice ship
Apart from the good food on this trip
Entertainment is of a high standard.
The crew are helpful and friendly
‘though the ship is old, not trendy
To a wide range of tastes they have pandered.
I enjoyed the entertainment choices
Quizzes, concerts, talks and “voices”
This is really how to fill one’s days at sea.
Constant eating isn’t possible
Well, it is but not weight lossable
Life’s at a slower pace, we take it easy.
For a wheelchair user, the flaws
Are only two automatic doors.
There are steps on most of the gang planks.
With high sills and bumps in corridors
Plus fixing hooks on most of doors
One finds oneself often saying “Thanks”.
On a trip like this the ship proceeds
With all power at maximum speed
And into a force seven, steady she ain’t.
Some days this wet and windy ship
Can really get upon one’s pip.
On fine days, it all just stinks of paint.
The Adonia theatre company deserve
High praise for performing with verve
They sing arrangements better than originals.
With other tribute acts, the cause
To show how good the artist was
Do much less with all the same material.
Good singing, shows and cabarets
Plus excellently acted plays
And the activities in which we all partake.
A superb magician exemplified
By contrast the over-amplified
Musicians serve to keep us all awake.
On cruises one should mention food
And on this ship it’s very good
But pretentious menus can be found on ships.
If the menu option’s chancy
And there’s stuff that you don’t fancy
The standard options include steak and chips.
There is a problem with the chips
In that there will be only six
But that situation, your waiter can fix.
The crew are nice they’re are all the same
They want you to learn their name
Because they want an increased rate of tips.
On organised trips with my wheelchair
The thing I consider unfair
Is not being allowed on a minibus.
This is only a P&O rule
And although I’m nobody’s fool
I think Health & Safety’s the root of the fuss.
Some people think that I’m a jerk.
I’m not but my left foot don’t work.
Most folks are sympathetic, some don’t care.
For the past six years of my life
I’ve been pushed around by my wife
I can walk a bit but mostly use a wheelchair.
So around the world we go
Flying, cruising as you know
Even driving my own car or using busses.
Steps are easier than flat walking
(My foot won’t bend as much) and talking
Of pain it results in fewer cusses.
Performers’ rules are common sense
First, don’t insult your audience
And as in life, the secret is to smile.
To make an effective entrance
Temper confidence with diffidence
Give it oomph, then go that extra mile.
Personality commands the floor
Always leave them wanting more
And never batter folks into submission.
The willing suspension of disbelief
Requires relaxation and relief
From any threat of audience participation.
Pretentious menus? I’ll give an example.
Ways of serving potatoes- I sample....
New, roasted, noisettes, boulangére,
Creamed, Cretan, crushed, macaire,
Pomme purée, champ, Delmonico,
Colcannon, mousseline, chateau,
Duchess, hasselback, gratinée,
Fondant, galette, rissolée,
Tartiflette, marquis, dauphinoise
Time-poached, bon-bons, Lyonnaise,
There are more than twenty six
Because, of course there’ also chips.

PoetPete’s Full Rating Summary
Get Adonia price drops

Our window was not so much A porthole as a starboard watchOutside of which hung one of the ship’s boats.This was hosed down by a deck handFrom six to seven a.m. andPrompted one of my less repeatable quotes.

• City Tour
    The old museum is only fairThere's really not a lot thereBut guides insist one has to invest time.The old colonial town is goodAnd the history understoodAnd there is no evidence of crime.
    View All 20 City Tour Reviews
  • Gatun Locks
    To Panama , the canal and locksHaving left Colon docksWith tour guide (name sounds like Johnny Moe).A man with not a lot sayAnd says it loudly anywayEven our pre-ordered lunch was late, served slow.Gatun locks were an interesting stopIt's just huge and 80 steps to the top.Wheelchair access stops at the bottom.I decided to have a goBut my progress was quite slowAnd held up faster folks a lot/some.“By coach” the trip was advertised And “by coach” we had been advisedIn a minibus they tried to cram my wheelchair.When the guide refused to get it outI didn’t scream, I didn’t shout.I got it out myself, he didn’t care!So I was then his best excuseFor being late – it’s no useTrying to get it right- life’s just not fair.
    View All 37 Gatun Locks Reviews
  • Island Tour
    Roatan in a wheelchairRoatan by minibus (we were told coach).(It’s a subject I will not broach).It was a “snapshot” with a difference.They put the wheelchair in the isle(With the brakes on all the while)That was a victory for common sense.The guide and driver excellent,First to the beach we wentHaving had to watch the Garifuna dancers. A boat ride to see two wrecksThen iguana refuge, one expectsTo be amazed. (Cabbage is the answerTo what these lizards eat).Please don’t step on tails or feet.It’s a steep slope down to see them.Then steeper to see tarponWhich are kept like carp onLake or in an enclosed in a sea pen.
    View All 230 Island Tour Reviews
  • Cartagena (Colombia)
    Cartegena Columbia with a wheelchairOur trip to the town of CartegenaWhich is port in north of ColumbiaA local minibus took me and my wheelchair.Air conditioned, the tourOf the older and the newerParts of Cartegena were expertly laid bare.We were pestered by tourist tat sellersWho were persistent young fellasAnd in one’s face the whole of the time.They did not understand “no gacias”But the old town is charming and classy asA good walking tour doesn’t include a climb.
    View All 752 Cartagena (Colombia) Cruise Port Reviews