Costa Luminosa Cruise Review

Not Like Other Caribbean Cruise Lines

Costa Luminosa Cruise Review by bigsarge115

• Sail Date: Jan 2015
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

First, let me say that it has been a month since we returned from this cruise. Having sailed with three other cruise lines I found Costa to embarkation staff to be somewhat disorganized as it comes to a person with disabilities. It took some time for them to locate a large wheelchair both on embarkation and disembarking. Disembarking was a disaster and I finally had to use a walker because they could not locate a large wheelchair. We were about an hour and half late getting off the ship.

I must say the Luminosa is a beautiful ship and the crew members are friendly as one would expect. The production shows were very well done and had gorgeous costuming. I addition they had an Italian tenor that was extremely talented. The stateroom (an accessible balcony) was very nice, good sized and well maintained.

The passengers were mainly from Europe and there were many languages being spoken. It was odd, band very welcome, to hear English speakers. Almost all ship's announcements were made in four languages, which made for a very lengthy life boat drill.

The food was of average ship fare with small portions except for the pasta course. The dining room at dinner time was very crowded. Our table was set for eight persons, but thankfully after the first dinner we had only six and that was comfortable. At dinner time the buffet is closed which makes for overcrowding in the main dining rooms. And this was without the ship being at full capacity.

If you care to drink water you can get it for free at the buffet. However in the dining room there is a charge at breakfast even if your id card says you can have water. At dinner you can have all the bottled water you can drink, if it states WaterUSA on your ship id card. Also if you're used to free iced tea as on other ships you won't get it on Costa. Additionally if you care for lobster, shrimp or escargot Costa does not offer those in the main dining rooms.

I also had a problem with the public accessible restrooms. Twice I was interrupted while in the restroom by the automatic door coming open which was embarrassing to me and the lady and man who opened it. This happened the second time after I had reported the problem after the first incident. Additionally another restroom was either always occupied or the auto door was not working even after I reported it.

All in all the cruise was ok, but I would not sail Costa again. Their business model is European and not what we are used to in the US.

bigsarge115's Full Rating Summary

Cabin B7 7306

The cabin was very well maintained and a good size. The roll ikn shower was as expected.

bigsarge115