3. Carnival Splendor
We just returned from our 4th cruise with Carnival and our 7th cruise overall. We sailed on the Splendor. We chose Carnival because we were bringing our family with us consisting of 4 20-somethings so we wanted the "party" atmosphere. They had a blast, mostly because of the people they met. Unfortunately, we observed a SEVERE decline in service on both this and our last Carnival cruise. Guest Services confirmed that they have reduced the number of staff on their cruises. This has significantly impacted the service level. The room steward was nowhere to be found when we got on board so we ended up finally tracking him down at 8:30 to get some things set up in our room. He was a bit rude and didn’t provide a whole lot of help. Our room was never made up when we returned from dinner so we ended up sitting on the balcony so they could do it. Every time I went to eat in the Lido deck restaurant I had to move dirty dishes from a table so we could use it. When my husband asked for hot sauce he was told he could go and find some in the other half of the dining room! Our dinner head waiter was good but his helpers were terrible and kept changing. The poor head waiter ended up having to do everything and was totally run off his feet. The bar waiter rarely showed up until we were in the middle of dinner and only showed up once. Similarly, the assistant waiter only ever showed up once at the beginning of the meal and we had to track him down or (more frequently) ask our head waiter to get us more bread and milk, etc. Coffee and tea were never offered until we were finished our dessert, which was too late. There were long wait times at the aft pool bar and the piano bar entertainer was awful!! She was more intent of performing versus engaging guests in a sing-a-long which is the main charm of the piano bar. To top it all off, my son forgot his credit card, debit card and university id in the safe which we noticed when we arrived at our hotel in Miami right after getting off the ship. We called the cruise port and were told to come down immediately and ask a Carnival staff member to get them from Guest Services. We were told if we waited then the ship would be out to sea and we wouldn’t be able to get them until it returned. So my husband and son took a cab (total of $60) to the cruise port only to be told that the items had been sent to Carnival’s head office and we should call them. We called them and their offices were closed until Monday. So on Monday we called Carnival and they told us that they items weren’t sent to them and that we would have to wait several weeks (up to 8 weeks) before they would open the bag of lost and found items to find our cards. And we were told not to phone back to check on them; we would get them when we got them! In relaying this to my sister, who returned from a cruise 2 weeks previously, she said she was currently going through run around to retrieve her husband’s wedding band that was forgotten in the safe. Unfortunately, I think this will be the last time I will cruise with Carnival. Time to find another cruise line that still knows what good services is all about!

No more Carnival for me!