3. Volendam
This was my first cruise with HAL and as the 11th time I have cruised there were some areas that disappointed me. 1. was the lack of supervision of sanatizing hands prior to entering a restaurant. Whilst there were bottles of the liquid there, noone was superevising to see if people used the solution. I was shocked to see people leave the washrooms and not sanatize hands before entering the dining areas. Other cruise lines have rigid rules regarding this. 2. Standard of dress. On formal nights when men were dressed in dinner jackets, suits etc. some individuals were allowed into the dining room in Tshirts. To me this was an insult to those men who had flown to our embarking port carrying the appropriate attire. 3.Cabin. As this was a cruise to celebrate our Golden Wedding we had 11 months before the sailing date requested a quiet mid ship cabin and were allocated cabin 3385. Not knowing any different we accepted it as assumed HAL were acting in our best interest. It was under the galley and the noise early hours of the morning was disturbing. We were able to shift after 4 nights but why when we were so specific as to our needs did they allocate this cabin. There was nothing wrong with the cabin apart from the noise. As to the rest of the cruise. The ports in Vietnam, Cambodia, thailand were excellent. Entertainment was good, food also and the lectures were first rate, especially the port information. Tipping is steep but we found out from previous HAL passengers after we returned home that you do not have to pay this and can tip those crew you only wish to. Pity we did not know this before we sailed as the amount billed to us and then converted by our bank from USD to NZD was a lot. Previous passengers have told us that standards have slipped a lot but as this was my first HAL cruise I cannot comment on this.

Standards

mrsliz’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin C 3385
Outside cabin - lower Promenade deck.Good size. adequate wardrobe space. Bathroom needed a little work. Plenty of hot water. Good supply towels. Cabin kept clean and tidy.Missed the electric jug/kettle offered on other lines.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins