3. Carnival Liberty
We booked Carnival Liberty a beautiful ship. Sailed out of Port Canaveral. We have cruised multiple times and have arrived earlier than our assigned embarkation time only to find long lines, once on board over crowding on the Lido deck people wandering around with carry on luggage and no place to sit down to eat. This time we dropped our tagged luggage off and then went to a port restaurant sat outside and ordered Bloody Mary's at a price much lower than the cruise ships and basked in the sun for an hour and a half. Drove back around to the cruise parking lot, went into the terminal zipped through the line because there was no overcrowding. On board the ship in less then fifteen minutes, it was after 1pm so our cabin was ready. Dropped off the carry on bags and went to the lido for lunch then drinks. It was the best embarkation ever. The ship is beautifully decorated peaceful colors. No garish purple and orange colors. This was some of the Good, more later Some of the Bad We had a balcony aft portside. No noises but soon discovered it was HOT. We asked the steward about it and he said it will get cooler. It did not so the next day I went to the customer service and reported it. I spoke with others on our corridor and they also said their cabins were hot. It is the 7400 portside section that is hot. We spoke with others on deck 6 and 8 and they said theirs were ok. The maintenance people said it met their standard of 72 to 74 degrees. Sorry but 74 degrees with no air moving in the room is not acceptable. We had a balcony so we slept with the door open. I felt bad for the lady in the inside cabin she said she was not able to sleep, by day 3 you could tell she looked exhausted. We got 8:15 dining, we requested Anytime but it was full and so was early. We ate in the dining room 3 times but finishing dinner at 10pm is just too hard on the body. I can no longer eat that late and go to bed an hour and a half later. The food in the dining room was really delicious. The food on the Lido was edible, not hot enough and only a few of the items from the dinning room were served. The deserts were never as good as the dining room. We ate at the Lido so we could enjoy the shows, family comedy, and relax in a lounge listening to music before bed. We cruise for the entertainment and late dining makes us miss too much fun. The Food and the American Table menu. We enjoyed the food it was very good but I miss the variety of the old menu. I am a good cook so when I go out to eat I like to eat things that I do not make. I had the Flat Iron Steak it was good, I had veal parmesan also very good. The Caesar Salad was fishy, way too much anchovy. The Lobster tail was undercooked but the shrimp were delicious.. After that Lido food, edible. The weird thing is they did not have the Bacon Mac & Cheese on the Lido. A food kids and adults love yet not on the Lido dinner. The Pizza is terrible, the crust taste like crust that had been prebaked then when needed add sauce and cheese and put under the broiler. Taste like a cheap cheap frozen pizza. The Guy's Burgers are Fabulous!! It closes at 6pm so I would check to see what the Lido is having later if nothing looked good that night I at Guy's burger. The Blue Iguana Mexican was Fabulous too especially their breakfast burrito. The Soft Serve Ice Cream and Yogurt were a hit I have never seen so many people eating Ice cream in my life. It also tasted very good. We had a sandwich from the deli very good too. Did not care for the Mongolian restaurant. They have 3 sauces Szechuan (very hot) Thai (hot) and Black Bean. I had the black bean, it was ok but I prefer hibachi or terriaki flavor. We missed the Rotan port due to weather so we had an extra sea day. I have to admit there is not a lot to do. I did get bored. I played trivia but found that so many people were cheating it became no fun. One fellow claimed to have all the answers but when she asked for the answer no one called it out, so she told us, later when she asked who got 20 right he raised his hand. Another was cartoon triva this time we had a tie for the win when she asked the run off question "in the cartoon Tom and Jerry which one is the mouse the girl who claimed to have all the right answers did not know, yet she knew a huckleberry hound, secret squirrel etc? no I think not. Ports - we went to Freeport first, not my favorite port so we stayed on ship most of the day then went down to their cruise port listened to music watched some passengers line dance had drinks at Fat Tuesday's because Senor Frogs was packed. Cozumel- We took a cab to Playa Playancar we had our own palapa and beach chair we bought cocktails, beer, and shared Fajitas we spent about $40 with tip and the cab ride was $25 each way the drinks were good and there were only about 20 other people at the beach. Be forewarned that you need water shoes in Cozumel the beaches have coral shell pieces in the shallow parts of the ocean and it will cut your feet and scrape your belly. Roatan Missed port, very bummed the main reason we chose this cruise, and yes the only compensation is refund of your port fees. The cruise line does not owe you anything when nature raises it ire and makes docking impossible. It is nice if they do something like give you a discount on drinks or even better for the kids have a discount in the candy store for a few house. I would rather miss the port than be stuck paying for an excursion that beats you half to death with waves trying to snorkel, riding around in a rocking boat and getting sea sick. One lady said she had booked the private cabana at $250.00 she was very glad that she did not have to pay to sit in cabana on a cold rainy day. Costa Maya (Mahahual) we had arranged to meet a lady who has a mission church that helps feed people, do Bible studies and helps with children education. I had brought a book bag filled with paper,crayons, pens, pencils, heart shaped pencil sharpeners, stickers and flash cards to help them learn their numbers. It was great to meet some of the people and their children. We have done excursions and saw how poor the area is away from the cruise port shops so we wanted to do something to help the local people with educational opportunities. Now for the Really Bad Debarkation- We were doing self assist, well a lot has changed. People who did self assist previously could leave as soon as the ship docked. No longer. Our time was 9am we went down to the elevators at 8:45 to go to the waiting area, the elevators would come by and were full. They were not running very often and were always full. We finally got one of the glass elevators. as we attempt to get off we see the problem the lobby is filled and we had to wait in the elevator until someone shuffled forward and we got off. We find we can not go sit in the lobby chairs they are blocked off. So we inch along then an elevator opens and all the people get off and they are in front of you. The Glass elevators are at the very back. We inch forward boom another elevator opens 10 more people are in front of you, almost out of the corridor and boom the elevator opens and it is a scooter guy and family. Scooter guy proceeds to push forward bumping into people. We inch along dragging our luggage standing there for 20 minutes being pushed and bumped with suitcases, people stepping on your heels. An inch of space opens up and scooter guy speeds up to fill it. I have had it I say "you are sitting for goodness sake and we were all here before you" doesn't faze him he feels entitled. We finally get out and thank God we did self assist the luggage was on a carousel so you have to stand their with the crowd and look for your bag. Embarkation was organized and easy Debarkation was an absolute nightmare.

Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruise

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by sail-a-bration

Some of the Bad
The Food and the American Table menu.
Now for the Really Bad
sail-a-bration’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 7426
The beds were very comfortable, the pillows are one soft and one firm on each side of the bed. The room was Hot, you could not feel any air blowing. I think there is a problem with the fan that blows the air. They checked the temperature and said it was in the acceptable degree or 72-74. When there is no moving air in the room 74 is warm. bring a small fan if you can. We slept with the door open, I told them I was going to sleep up on the serenity deck. I know you are not suppose to leave the door open but when the A/C is not working the no open door rule ends there. We had a very nice cabin steward, he did a good job. We tipped an extra $20 because he had lots of cabins to tend more than I have seen before. It does seem they have less staff on these bigger ships and they are always working very hard.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins