Emerald Princess Cruise Review

First and only cruise

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Timogin

• Sail Date: Feb 2015
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean

My father and I went on the Emerald Princess (dubbed the money pit later by me).

Our destinations were Rotan, Belize city and Cozumel. The cruse was great except the elaborate prices for anything other than iced tea or water. Also the gratuity that is charged for ordering a drink at the bar. And I have never seen a casino that charged for drinks to players and then charged gratuity to boot (until now that is). The food was average on the buffet and dinner was a 7 out of 10 I would say so not to bad there. The shows were the best part of anything aboard except they let kids sit anywhere and all of the screaming kids accompanied by bad parenting skills were distracting to everyone including the performers. Drink prices if you are not clever enough or are to honest to pour out a bottle of mouth wash and smuggle food coloring /vodka in the mouthwash bottle are $9.50 + $2.95 gratuity for a very small glass - screw driver, Scotch and water so on Wine was anywhere from $7 to $22 a glass depending so no big deal there. I think that's about normal. Beer was $6 per or 5 for $25 about what I pay at a pro game NBD there either. Mixed drinks like the "Isaak" were $15 along with Margareta's and any other frozen mixed drink that required as far as I can tell 2 brain cells to make. I cant figure out why the price difference because the content was the same. $15 for a Margareta and $15 for a Blue Margareta or a long island iced tea which has several shots I think. And last but not least is the shore excursions... Holy Cow!!!!! Looked but not booked... went ashore and got them at least half price from locals as I am used to doing this and I speak the language very well and I tip and tip very well at least 20% according to effort of my provider not because someone makes me do it. swimming with the dolphins was $169 per aboard the ship for 1/2 hour. booked the trip with a local including driver round trip and lunch 2 hour tour was $99 .... for 2 (WAMO). Didn't get to Belize city due to bad seas. ( not the captains fault) But we trolled along to Mexico at 4 knots to waste the day instead of cruising on and spending more time in Cozumel. No itinerary refund BTW just an "We are sorry but thanks for your port and docking money anyway". Unless you just love being at sea and watching daytime shows that are for kids or have kids in them like all of the bars... (who lets their kids in bars with a bunch of old drunks?) Or fantastic night time entertainment (really the best part of the whole ship trip) with again a bunch of screaming brats running wild. (they even let them run wild on formal night in the dining room). Some peoples .. and their children... I am back to flying folks! I'll spend my time and money there not on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this helps someone who is thinking about but has never been on a cruse.

Timogin's Full Rating Summary

Cabin II B244

Room was nice but only 2 outlets in the room. porter was fantastic guy at $23 bucks a day gratuity he should be.

Belize City

Can't comment because all I seen of Belize was a very distant coast line. The captain didn't waste any time getting us in gambling water when the pilots said it was too rough to get boats next to the cruse ship for transport to land and then waste the next 2 days at 4 knots getting us to Cozumel..

Gumbalina Park

After we walked out of the fenced gated guarded carnival compound we entered a gauntlet of tour operators who were very hungry for business. a very pushy woman names Ivy approached me and asked " what I want to do today". Mike the 4 wheeler guy had given a name and I told her I was already on the hunt for someone else. It had no sooner left my lips when 7 of the 8 people Ivy excluded sais "oh no she is the best" pointing to Ivy and "she is better than us even" one guy said. So being pointed by majority rule to "the best" I entered negotiations with my newly found guide Ivy. I will just say this about Ivy... She can come stay with me and my family any time she wants to visit. She was a singularly kind and generous person who, even without the excursion would have been worth the money just to meet her. She offered to take us to her house and cook dinner for us.. and stay!!! What a beautiful and kind sprit she has!

View All 191 Gumbalina Park Reviews
Gumbalina Park

In Rotan they funnel you threw a gauntlet of Caravel owned shops. Watch out the prices are jacked up. just out side the gauntlet is a nice 4 wheeler tour for $50 per and $80 for a double. If you tell the guy its way to much he will come down to $35 for one (Firm) and $60 for double riders. The guy was great and the hour trip turned to 2 hours long after I tipped the money I negotiated him down to back to him and he took us to see his green sea turtles and I actually got to pet and feed them.

View All 191 Gumbalina Park Reviews
Dolphin Swim & Encounter

I went to Cozumel 26 years ago.. It is not anything like what I remember and I will not be back it has been ruined by tourist and is now disneyised. but I took my 82 year old father who doesn't know any better to exploit the poor dolphins anyway.Watch the movie " Blackfish" people.

View All 456 Dolphin Swim & Encounter Reviews