We had a lovely relaxing cruise on the Noordam to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Martinique, Antigua (which we missed due to windy weather) St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay. We are 59 and 64 and were with friends roughly the same age. We were in Balcony cabins 4026 and 4028. Our cabin stewards, Gaga and Musali, were great, our cabin was always made up while we were away and any requests were completed immediately. The balcony dividers were opened so was nice to spend time together enjoying our sea views. Food was good, I am not picky, I like most anything. I like the new menus as I try to order only a 3 course or sometimes 2 course meal. My husband loves the Caesar salad and always orders double. Personally, I never order it, but to each his own. I enjoyed the fish selections, weiner schnitzel, and vegetables. Breakfast on the Lido was great. "Yum Yum " Bacon, one of the servers in the bacon and eggs sections, was a hoot! Selection was great, I had omelettes only when there was no line up, which happened three times. Usually there were less than 5 people in line, but I am impatient! No mango this year, missed that. Lunch at Lido was fun. I had the buttermilk chicken the first day (and only time it is there), it is amazing, melt in your mouth great. Don't miss it by thinking you will be able to try it later in the cruise. Lots of choices-salads, sandwiches, hot entries, pizza, and tried the burgers one day at the pool. Was good, but takes too long for me. I did enjoy the nachos and fruit salsa near the burger joint. We enjoyed the aft pool and hot tub on sea days. We choose HAL because we aren't interested in rock climbing walls, rinks, etc. We tend to book port intensive cruises so lots of activities aren't needed. The Noordam was very clean, but as others have said, I missed the "Days of the Week" carpets in the elevators. I really looked for the thread bare carpet, but couldn't find it. Where different carpets met in front of the elevator on deck 2 there was some threads beginning to unravel, but that was being very picky on my part and wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking. We chose Anytime dining. After seeing the lineups to be seated in the early seating, I am glad we did. We usually chose a time between 5:30 and 6:00 pm and didn't have to wait for a table. We enjoyed Dottie's section and asked for him each night. We found we had the best of both worlds, we ate when we wanted and had the same waiter who gave us great and personable service. Was the service slower, some nights, but I think part of it was not ordering 2 appetizers as we have in the past. One little negative comment, is the butter is slabs rather than the rosettes from the past. We booked three shore excursions with HAL, two were excellent, one disappointing. "Art Around the Island "in St. Maarten-great tour, visiting the homes/gallery of 5 artists. Doris, our guide, was excellent pointing our points of interest and answering questions on our tour. I bought a small piece as a momento of our tour. Our second tour was the Segways on Barbados. Again combined a tour of the island and an one and a half hour tour on the Segways. Great time! St. Thomas tour was very disappointing. Safari bus loaded 5 per row and tour guide going through the motions. Last year we had taken a tour that we picked up at the cruise port, not as crowded and our guide was so proud of his island and our 3 hour tour was over 4 hours, dropped off downtown and picked up later, free of charge. On St. Lucia, we picked up a tour at the cruise port. Great choice, included a eco tour spot that was very informative and included tasting of fruit, island fare and history. Entertainment was good. Especially enjoyed the pianist in the theatre, comedian and magician. Spent some time in the piano bar, wish they would make it larger or better configure, bench seating in front of the piano very uncomfortable. Lovely cruise, would recommend the itinerary and Noordam.

Enjoyable Experience

Noordam Cruise Review by mjjden

• Sail Date: January 2015
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Lovely cruise, would recommend the itinerary and Noordam.
mjjden’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Noordam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VF 4026
Forward balcony cabin with metal wall on port side. Large balcony space with 2 rattan chairs and small table. Nice to be able to stretch your legs and still space to balcony wall. Cabin spacious with lots of storage space. Bathroom has tub/shower combo. Lots of storage in vanity. Everything in perfect working order. Great cabin attendants-Gaga and Mus.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins