3. Norwegian Breakaway
This would be me and my husband's 8th cruise but first time sailing with Norweigan. I am going to start off by saying, I was not impressed. My husband liked it a little more than I did but not by much. The Good: Embarkation and Debarkation were the fastest we have ever experienced we were both on the ship at arrival and off the ship and through customs when we returned in less than 10 minutes! Nice stateroom. We had a balcony, we couldn't use it often because if was freezing outside but that is not norweigan's fault. I found the stateroom to be large enough for the two of us. No issues with space. The decor of the ship was nice. Beautiful colors all throughout and the ship is clean. The food was tasty. Although, I heard people complain about feeling bloated from the amount of salt in the food, I didn't notice, only that there was a limited choice of foods and at the restaraunts there was not much food served at once. Which I guess is fine, so people don't waste food. Cabin Stewart: Very nice. Learned our names for a 2 day cruise and asked if we needed anything throughout our stay. Captain: Kept us very well informed about his plans for guiding the ship around the winds that were set to come in and even brought us back to dock a few hours early to avoid any trouble while at to sea. He seemed to really care about the passengers and their comfort level while on board. Ok- The not so good- Upon arriving in our stateroom, I could still smell the other people who had last stayed there, there was a cologne smell in the bed and around the cabin. Not a big deal, it just skeeved me out a little and made me wonder if there was really a thorough cleaning that took place. There was not a lot of water pressure in the shower and the temperature of the water would jump from Luke warm to scalding all on its own. Also, I had to request washcloths as there weren't any in the room. The shows- sigh.... Ok, I am really not a picky person but the Rock of ages show was really not worth seeing, after less than 30 minutes my husband and I walked out. The cirque du soleil was just ok. The performers had a really small area to perform in and it seemed like they had stuffed as many tables and chairs into the room as possible in order to make a dollar (the show was $40 per person and included dinner)... The staff who were working at the tables seemed irritated if you asked them a question and the show seemed to be a little disorganized. No one knew what they were serving for dinner. A plate was just placed in front of you and that's what you got. (It was shrimp and filet mignon but I don't eat red meat, so I gave the steak to my husband and ate a few shrimp. No one ever asked us if we wanted any soft drinks or cocktails and when they placed the dessert in front of me, I attempted to ask what it was because of allergies and I got a quick response that was drowned out by the music and she was gone, so I didn't eat it. My husband tried 1 bite and spit it out. As I stated earlier, the food selection seemed quite limited. I'm not sure if this was because it was a weekend cruise or if that's the usual way Norweigan operates but the food I did have was tasty. Aside from our cabin Stewart, the staff were not that friendly. No one was rude but no one was engaging either. Everyone seemed tired and like they would rather be some where else. Even when we arrived on board for the first time, no one was there to greet us. We just walked on board and found our way... I have never had that experience. Lastly, there was nothing to do all day. It was Valentine's Day and there was nothing going on except over priced art auctions. A woman I was in the elevator with actually asked me if I was bored yet? I responded YES! Most of the activities were set to be outdoors and it was 20 something degrees and snowing... I can't understand why they would have a boat with its home port being NYC all year around with no retractable roof over the pool, no bowling alley, no indoor movie theater.... Nothing. It was quite perplexing. When there were activities, they started after 9:00pm. And there were over 400 people trying to squeeze into a small area just to get some form of entertainment. We tried to see the sketch comedy show one night but even though we were right on time, it was already filled to capacity and they were not letting anyone else in. I don't know that I am interested in giving Norweigan another chance. If my family really wanted to try out a longer cruise with some ports to visit in some warmer weather, than I'll try it out again just to compare the weekend cruise with a longer vacation but if not, I am happy staying with Carnival and Disney!

Just ok for a quickie