3. Carnival Dream
We used Eric for van shuttle service for our party of 8. He charged $10 per person each way 504-382-3700. He was reliable and friendly. We spent the night at the Hampton Inn Convention Center in New Orleans. Very nice hotel. Offers free breakfast and is walking distance to the port if you have roller luggage, the hotel offers shuttle service for free or it is a cheap cab ride if the free shuttle line is too long. I am now a platinum member with Carnival. I have to say, it is pretty awesome! There were many times during this cruise where I exercised my platinum benefits for the first time that added to the fun of the entire experience. When we arrive to check in, we got to skip the line and wait in a VIP lounge and get on before everyone else (pick of any table on Lido). We also got to get into our rooms right away! I have sailed on many cruises booked all classes of rooms. Lately we are happy with an interior room. We are a family of four, so we like booking two cabins and spreading out. The extra cost to book two rooms versus cramming all four of us in one room is minimal ($150 -$300), and worth it. We did book an interior room on the Lido deck for the first time. Again, the extra cost is minimal ($150 -$300) and also very worth it. Including grandparents we had three rooms all right next to each other, 10280, 10284 and 10288. When there was a late night party, our kids in room 10288 could hear a lot of noise. I was in room 10284 and I could hear it a little bit. My mom was in room 10280 and could not hear it at all. So my advice is to not be the room right on the very end next to the pool if you are worried about noise – but don’t be afraid to be close to the end because it is very convenient. When you are on Lido you are right there next to the action all of the time. You can grab a cup of coffee or a glass of water very easily. I just loved it. My husband was afraid we could feel movement up that high, but not at all – smooth sailing. This was a New Year’s cruise. We had to spend more money for this cruise; it is comparable to booking in the summer. We did this so the kids would not miss school, but the extra bonus was that we got to celebrate the New Year in a fun and safe way together. First thing in the morning, the crew set up an area where passengers could blow up balloons, enclose a wish or message. They collected these in a big net on the top floor of the atrium all day long. By the end of the day the net was filled with balloons. Carnival had free Champaign flowing (no need to buy a bottle) and with everyone all dressed up – we counted down to midnight in the atrium and experienced a fantastic balloon drop. Then everyone, all ages, went up to the lido deck for dancing and music and more Champaign. Our stops were Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. We booked a driver with Victor Bodden Tours in Roatan. For $20 per person they provided round trip transportation to the hotel zone on the West Bay Beach. This time we got to go to the Paradise hotel on West Bay. We paid an additional $10 per person to use the hotel pool, beach, beach chairs and restrooms. WORTH IT. A few members of our party went back to Victor Bodden’s petting zoo and they thoroughly enjoyed it. That was only $5 per person extra. Belize you have to tender, and when the ship is full everyone wants to get off at once and the tender process is not pretty. You get priority if you book a Carnival tour – and can get off first. We did not book with Carnival – we booked cave tubing/zip lining with VIV tours for $70 per person that included all transportation and lunch. This is where my Platinum benefits came in handy. I got priority tender service off the boat for my entire party. We had the best time in Belize with VIV tours. Ask for the guide Mr. Fabulous – so fun (plus with VIV they don’t require you to carry your own tube up the hill for a 30 minute walk, they have their tubes waiting at the top for you). Tip: if you go zip lining/cave tubing – pack water shoes that do not fall off or you have to rent ugly disgusting shoes. Cozumel – is always so easy. We didn’t book a tour. We walked off the ship and asked a cab driver to take us to a beach. He took us to a hotel - and the transportation including hotel privileges was $20 per person. The comedy shows and some of the dancing entertainment were very enjoyable on the Dream. We also enjoyed the dive in movies – and if you got there early enough you could check out a comfy blanket at the towel stand. I really enjoy the food on Carnival. The Dream didn’t have Guy’s burgers which were a bummer, but you could order the steak house steaks and lobsters at in the normal dining room. We do early dining, and did make a reservation at the steakhouse later in the evening during one of our port days to allow us time to rest up before dinner. So worth the $35 up charge, it is a top notch meal. When it was time to go home, we got to take advantage of the Platinum benefits again. We got the luggage tags with the #1 on them, and got to wait in a VIP area to be dismissed first right after the self-assist group. Something to just mention, there were a lot of self-assist passengers that were not following the rules and would not wait to be dismissed until their floor was called. When passengers do this, it over loads the walkways and elevators which then slows the process down for everyone. I will remember not do to this, if I have to self-assist in the future, because it creates a stressful situation for crew and passengers, and you hear the crew director pleading with people over the intercom system all morning. All and all – we had a fantastic cruise. We love the Dream – it is a wonderful ship. If you are reading this because you have already booked and want to know what to expect – expect to have some fun!!!

New Years Cruise (We actually left on December 30, 2014)

Carnival Dream Cruise Review by PJMGD

Our stops were Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

PJMGD’s Full Rating Summary