Vision of the Seas Cruise Review

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by Angelo08012011

• Sail Date: May 2014
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior Stateroom

The idea of my family and some close family friends of ours was absolutely NOT my idea. My girlfriend and her sister and just graduated, and my father as well as her father knew I was going to propose on our celebration vacation. When the idea was mentioned, i was against it as I had wanted to go to a nice city in the US. After close evaluation, I eventually gave into the fact that the budget agreed with the cruise more, so I relented.

The cruise was 5 days and stopped at Key West and Cozumel. I was not nervous about cruising, but I was afraid that there wouldn't be very many things to do and would be full of raucous vomiting drunks. I was very, very, surprised.

Embarkation was very smooth for all of us except my brother who did not have a passport and his "birth certificate" turned out to be some weird hospital document that they used to give parents. The person checking us in went to the other side of the area to get a supervisor that he said would let us in, because the one he was assigned would not accept that. I thought that was fantastic.

Th Vision of the Seas thoroughly surprised this first time cruiser. There were plenty of things to do and everything was astoundingly beautiful. I think maybe some people only go on the big ships and when they have to get on the smaller ones it surprises them because they can visibly see the things that the small ships do not have. There were officers and staff visible at every moment. All the guests seemed happy as well as staff; I never heard anyone complain about anything. It is a very intimate ship and i was just blown away. The entertainment was very well done. Not the best i have ever seen, but exceeded my expectations for this smaller cruise ship.

Some people have left reviews that the food has "declined." Wow, the food beforehand must have been fit for a king because I dined like a prince. When we boarded, my brother convinced us all to do a package they were offering until 1:00pm where for $50 per person, you could eat at all three specialty restaurants. The man selling them to us kept asking us about it, and I actually started to get annoyed with him and then he abruptly left. He came back 3 minutes later with an older couple on the cruise. They told us that they sailed on vision, then decided to stay on board for another trip, then decided to stay on board ANOTHER trip! They told us they always buy the package deal because it is so good. So that sealed the deal so we bought it.

IZUMI: ate this on the last night. I am not a fan of raw fish so I got the fried roll and it was delicious as well as the hot stone. I enjoyed it very much but I think it was kind of uncomfortable for our older parents, but they said they enjoyed the experience.

Giovannis Table: We all ended up wanting different foods so the waiter just decided to bring out one of everything on the menu. That blew me away! They really went out of the way to please.

Chops: Very good steak, comparable to the meat at Fogo Do Chao.

Even though we got such a great deal, my girlfriend and I enjoyed the more personalized service in the main dining room and will eat there every meal on our next cruise. I hate breakfast so I never ate at windjammer.

Angelo08012011's Full Rating Summary

Interior Stateroom

Our room was the very small, but not as small as I felt cramped. i had just got back from living in Brazil for 3 months sharing a very small apartment, so this felt wonderful. Nothing was broken, everything was clean. My brother is very slow at getting ready so I always went first and him second and we never felt in each others way, which is remarkable since it doesn't take much to light the fuse lol!

Key West

The group kind of split up on this port. My girlfriend's father went around by himself taking pictures. The ladies went shopping and snacking. My brother did a bike tour and swam a little. My father and i did a hop on hop off trolley tour as well as Truman's Little White House and Earnest Hemingway house. Both guided museums were wonderful and the trolley guide as well. We actually ran out of time at the Hemingway house but what i saw surprised me, it is worth a look. I did not get to taste any key lime pie, but I became hooked on the care free way of life on the keys. It would be perfect for someone who wants island life, but doesn't want to give up some american creature comforts.

Tulum

After this tour I would have given it five stars. Now that it has been a while I give only four. The ruins were a history buffs dream, but looking at picture from other peoples excursions to Tulum, we didn't get to see the half. Also, not very much time to explore and we got drenched with rain. A lot of the ruins are covered up by trees. Our tour guide was nice and informative, didn't really beg for tips afterwards. The buffet was provided in a natural cavern which was neat, but I am a hungry man and the portions were super small. Food was average, nothing like what is on the ship.

Angelo08012011