3. Norwegian Getaway
My husband and I went on the Norwegian Getaway on a 7 night cruise on 1/24. This was our 12th cruise. The only other time that we had traveled on Norwegian was on a Hawaiian cruise on the Pride of Aloha in February of 2007. We were less than impressed with Norwegian, but agreed to give them a second chance. The main reason for our decision was the exceptional promotion that they were running at the time of our booking, which was your choice of the Ultimae Beverage package, the Ultimate Dining package, or a $200 onboard credit. My hubby and I enjoy our cocktails, so we of course went with the Ultimate Beverage Package. Just let me say: WOW. WHAT A DEAL!! If you enjoy drinking or cocktails by the pool, by all means, go with this package. We couldn't have gone wrong with this, and to be honest, it completely made our trip. We never worried about keeping track of what our onboard account balance was, or worried about the cost of our drinks, or ordering that extra glass of wine with dinner. EMBARKATION: We arrived at the port of Miami around 12:00 on the day of departure. This was by far the smoothest embarkation process that I have ever experienced. The lines moved quickly and smoothly, the customer service representatives were knowledgable and friendly. Once on board, we easily found our room and dropped our small bags off and headed up to the deck to check out the boat and grab some quick lunch at the buffet. (A helpful tip for finding your way around the ship the first few days: The little fish on the carpeting are always swimming towards the front of the ship.) FOOD: The buffet is horrible. Point blank, without a question of a doubt, no excuses, the food there is horrible. We tried it a couple of times during the week, especially at sea days, just to grab something quick without going back to the room and changing and then headed to the dining room. It never got any better, and it was definitely worth our time to go back and change and head to Taste or Savor, O' Sheehan's or the Tropicana Room for lunch. Now, on the other hand: ALL OF THE OTHER FOOD ON THE SHIP WAS AMAZING!! We ate dinner in both of the dining rooms: Taste and Savor. The food was great temperature, wonderful flavor and presentation, and of course, as any other cruise ship, you can order as much as you would like. We also at at some of the specialty Restaurants, which we felt were worth the value for the money. (Note: We had the option of purchasing the Ultimate Dining package at a cost of $119 for our entire trip. We figured the numbers in our head, and this really doesn't make sense to do, unless you plan on eating at Cagney's more than 4 times during the trip.....We ate wherever we wanted, specialty or not, and only spend about $150 for specialty dining, so a much better value than purchasing the package.) Cagney's - This is the steak house on board the ship. We ate there one of the earlier nights on the cruise..... when we had called down earlier for a reservation, they told us the earliest that we could get in was 9:30. However, my husband just happened to wander down there early that evening, around 8:00, and there were plenty of open tables for us to have. I'm not sure if people just didn't show up for their reservations or what, but they got us right in. The food here is amazing! The cost is $30 per person, but it is worth every penny! The shrimp cocktail is great, and my husband ordered two of them, he liked it so much. They of course, were happy to bring him another. We both had shrimp cocktail, and the cheesy potato soup, a Ceasar salad, and a filet minon. We also ordered sides of mashed potatoes and au gratin potatoes,..... every single bit of it was wonderful. The steak was so tender we didn't even need a steak knife! Our server's name was Anton, and he was exceptional. I had oreo cheesecake for dessert. When he asked my husband what he wanted, he replied "nothing"..... they brought him an empty plate with the word "Nothing" written in chocolate. I thought that was cute. La Cucina - This is the Italian restaurant on board with a cover charge of $15. Again, we liked the menu and we love Italian food, so we enjoyed it. My husband actually had a ribeye, and I had the meat lasagna, both which were excellent. They bring bread to the table with a tray of 4 different dipping oils, we had two loaves of bread for our table of 4, it was so good! Shanghai's Noodle Bar - We were so upset that it took us several days to find this gem! We just happened to wander in to the noodle bar one day for lunch. (They are only open from 12-1:30 or 2, I believe, so make sure you eat during that time if you'd like to eat during lunch.) Everything here is a'la carte, but let me say that man on man, the prices are so reasonable for the value and quality of food that you get. We ordered appetizers, and each a main dish, and our bill was around $12-13 dollars each time, TOTAL. The best bet is to sit at the bar, you can talk to the chefs while they're cooking your food, and watch them cook others food. My husband is a picky icky eater, and he loved the fried rice, and even enjoyed the potstickers and dumplings. I loved the egg rolls! The noodles were great, and so was the Beef Fun Chow! At the end of the week, we both said that this was probably some of our favorite food on the cruise. The waitress Elaine was wonderful. I hit it off with her, and each time we were there, she brought us a free dessert on the house. O'Sheehan's - This is not a specialty dining restaurant, however, it does put off the feel that it is a specialty restaurant, as you get personalized service at your table, waiter and waitress. We had wings there one evening, and my husband had fish and chips, which he said was wonderful. Ate breakfast there one morning, and the omelet was great! It's open 24 hours, so if you get the late night cravings, this is the place to hit up! Room Service - I only used room service one time and it was the first day on board, and I wanted to sleep in a little bit and eat breakfast on the balcony of our room, which I did. It was good and fresh fruit, but you cannot get any hot food from room service. No eggs or meats or potatoes. Only fruit, yogurt and pastries. I was a little disappointed about that. BAR SERVICE: Again, if you get the option to do the Ultimate Beverage Package and do so, then you'll be more than satisfied with the beverage options. There was not one single thing on board that we wanted to drink that was not included. There are some very, very, very top end beverages (such as the after dinner drinks that normally run $100+ per shot) that are not included, but that isn't anything that we would have ordered anyway. Any drink $10.00 and under are included. My husband drinks crown royal, I drink grey goose and Bombay Sapphire, and we enjoyed frozen drinks every day on the ship by the pool. The servers are supposedly only supposed to allow you one drink at a time per person, however, we only ran into one or two servers the whole trip who enforced this rule. Most of them would allow us to just put one of our cards behind the bar, and they would run our tab until we left so we didn't have to sign the slip over and over again. They also would allow us to have a shot and a beer at the same time, or a shot and a drink at the same time. We had no problems. Some posts on here have experienced difficulties with the UBP, which I do not understand, as we had no problems whatsoever.) At the Waves pool bar, the waiters on the smoking side of the bar were GREAT. They were funny and friendly and we had a great time with them this week. Berwyn and Jeffrey especially, as well as Papi!! POOL/SLIDES: The waterslides are NOT "baby slides"..... they are 100% fun adult rides..... the first couple of times that I went down I had a lump in my throat myself! The pool is pretty small and I only got in it one time while we were there. The pool was designated as "adults only" but the hot tub was not. Therefore, the hot tubs were almost always full, and there was nearly always a bunch of kids in there. Sometimes little little kids. ROOM: Our room was great. We had a balcony room, while the balcony was rather small, we weren't planning on using it to sunbathe or anything like that. There was just two patio chairs and a small table. Of course, with the ship being new, the room had great and nice furnishings. The only complaint that I had about the room was that the couch was only about six inches from the sliding closet door, and it was extremely difficult to get clothes hung up in the closet. There was plenty of storage in the room, we put our suitcases in the drawers under the couch, and there was a lot of room underneath the bed, too. Bathroom was spacious. Note: The only toiletries that they provide to the room is body wash and shampoo. There is no conditioner, and they do not provide the little basket of toiletries that Carnival does with toothpaste, etc. So I would recommend bringing all of the toiletries that you would like with you. DISEMBARKATION: I haven't ever had a more smooth disembarkation experience, ever. We had an early flight so we did the "carry your own luggage off" at 7:15. We literally walked right off the ship. Went right through customs, and were thrilled to realize that we were standing out front waiting for a cab only 15 minutes from walking out of our room. Way to go, Norwegian! OVERALL: We had a great trip and enjoyed the cruise and the boat. Probably by far the nicest ship that we have been on so far, but it was also lacking some things that the other ships have offered. There was no poolside grille and bar. No place for you to get your chicken fingers or nachos at the poolside bar. There was only one pool for adults which was small and pretty boring, really. Casino was nice, Wi-Fi on the ship was slow. Food was great. Beverages were even better. I would definitely consider cruising Norwegian again, I think they have come a long long way since my last voyage on their fleet in 2007.

Norwegian Getaway Complete Review - January 24 Sailing

sarahsue317’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B3 12728
Our room was great. We had a balcony room, while the balcony was rather small, we weren't planning on using it to sunbathe or anything like that. There was an unobstructed view. There was just two patio chairs and a small table. Of course, with the ship being new, the room had great and nice furnishings. The only complaint that I had about the room was that the couch was only about six inches from the sliding closet door, and it was extremely difficult to get clothes hung up in the closet. There was plenty of storage in the room, we put our suitcases in the drawers under the couch, and there was a lot of room underneath the bed, too. Bathroom was spacious. Note: The only toiletries that they provide to the room is body wash and shampoo. There is no conditioner, and they do not provide the little basket of toiletries that Carnival does with toothpaste, etc. So I would recommend bringing all of the toiletries that you would like with you.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Atlantis Resort
    Nassau - We did a shore excursion at the Atlantis Aquadventure through Norwegian. $125. We met in the theater and left from there. This process was VERY LONG and very tiresome. It took us almost an hour and a half to get off the ship and arrive at the resort. After that, a tour guide of some type met us at the spot that the bus dropped us off and wanted to give us a tour of the resort. We weren't in there for any kind of a tour. We were there to use the water park, and ended up skipping off of the tour and finding the lockers and going about our way! The water park was great and worth every penny, but we wished that we had more time there. It's easy to lose track of time there.
    View All 677 Atlantis Resort Reviews
  • St. Maarten
    St. Maarten - We got off the boat in St. Maarten and went to Maho Beach to watch the airplanes come in. It was a great experience. Have heard people say that it was cheesy and lame, but it was really something neat to see. Probably wouldn't go back again, but it was neat to see once. The KLM 747 comes in every day at 12:15. We were also able to see some big 737's come in between the time we arrived there at 10:45 and leaving at 12:30. The beach is clean and nice, there is a restaurant at each end if you'd like a snack or a nice cold beverage. Take a towel, there is no place to lay except on your towel. Sun is hot. I had some great footage on video, and everyone we have showed since we got back was blown away by how close the airplanes are to us. We left from the Maho Beach and got a taxi to Orient Beach. The driver initially was not excited about taking us there, because it's quite a distance. However, when we were trying to negotiate the price with him, another couple walked up and also wanted to go to Orient Beach, so we shared the cab. He took us to a great little place there on Orient Beach, where we rented chairs and an umbrella for $20. The sun is HOT. The beach is clean and water is crystal blue. Gorgeous. Highly recommend..... the beach isn't like the beaches in Cancun....the waves don't beat you up. You can easily be in the ocean and not get knocked down. Very peaceful swim.
    View All 4,733 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    St. Thomas - We got off the boat and went on our own to do some shopping and went up to Paradise Point to have a bushwacker. Paradise point is just that: a little view of paradise. It's the most gorgeous view I've ever seen! You can go up in the tram for $19 per person, and stay as long as you like at the top. Again, places to get something to eat, drinks, a couple of little shops, and some kind of parrot show. (We didn't see the parrot show, but they were making quite a fuss about it while we were there.)
    View All 4,653 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews