As a 4-Star Mariner of the HAL company, I have had the opportunity to sail on many of the ships in this fleet and can honestly say that I was completely pleased with this ship and her company on the sailing from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. The informative lectures kept the days interesting and the Activities Director did a fabulous job of keeping things entertaining! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the stateroom was well appointed with great views of Antarctica and the Chilean Fjords. Food was amazing, as is the standard for all HAL sailings I have enjoyed. I have visited Alaska on two previous cruises and the views and wildlife sightings on this itinerary were significantly more breathtaking than what Alaska has offered. We were able to have staff from Palmer research station come aboard while in Antarctica and share their experiences with us which was very interesting. Given the strict rules governing the waters of Antarctica, there are many days of scenic cruising with no shore days but after marvelling to the spectacular scenery that is unmarred by our footsteps, I was appreciative of the protections that are in place for this most beautiful continent.

Spectacular!

Zaandam Cruise Review by Cruise or Bust!

• Sail Date: December 2014
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Verandah
Cruise or Bust!’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Holland America Zaandam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin A 6138
Spacious with well appointed bathroom that features a Jacuzzi-style tub which is a nice feature when visiting a chillier destination such as Antarctica. Larger television screens would be a nice touch but then again, who stays in there? Video library and video players in each room are a great feature on these ships; never stuck with nothing to watch if wanting quiet time in the room.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• La Boca District
    Really enjoyed our experience with Chris from Wander Tours BA who met us at the port in the morning and spent the entire day with my son, husband, and I. Chris's first language is English although he has lived in BA for more than a decade so understands the heartbeat of the city and can navigate visitors accordingly. It was all about US! What we wanted to see and do.... He even spotted us local currency before receiving any payment to allow us to purchase lunch!
    View All 7 La Boca District Reviews