3. Norwegian Breakaway
Sorry to open with such a negative blast... but my recent cruise aboard the breakaway was, while still a pretty good cruise, a real letdown from all the hype surrounding the new ship. We really hadn't intended to cruise this winter... you know, staying home, hunkering down for the winter, bookended between the Caribbean and the Baltic in spring and summer of 2014, and a scheduled Hawaii (relocating to Vancouver) coming right up in May 2015. Saw a great deal for the Breakaway's so we jumped on it, linking it up with a weekend visit to our son who lives and works in NYC. Prestayed a couple of nights at Ink48, a boutiquey inn a couple of blocks from the Manhattan cruise terminal. Got a great deal through orbs. Since I have a list of bulleted points both pro and con about the ship, the cruise line, the people, I'll make it like an awards show... Best entertainment.... Second City, Brenda the hypnotist, and the Rock of Ages show. Worst entertainment, comedian Jeff somebody, who really phoned it in... Best crew,,,, our room service waiter most evenings, bright and interesting to talk to, uncorking the wine expertly (come on, Norwegian, can't you buy these guys a decent corkscrew?). His name was Indra, and he should be lauded. Some pluses about the room... kudos for the in-room coffee machine. Size of room and balcony, it was sold to us as a family balcony, were both very small, the only thing I felt upgraded from was steerage. The steward was friendly and helpful. Food...Worst thing I ever put into my mouth was the shrimpburger, just awful... Running out of grapes and skim milk and chocolate chip cookies was inexcusable... Best bites of the trip... salmon tartare, cinnamon buns, lunch sandwiches at Garden cafe, brisket, beef carpaccio... Overall condition of the ship... for a boat that is only two years old, it seems a little scarred. Rust already visible. Gaps between various pieces of the interior. When we got into a bit of rough seas, 15 foot swells, in the Atlantic, she made some squeaky sounds, we expect form the older ships, not so much from brND NEW ONES. Great job, NCL, on the ticketing system for shows... convenient and helpful. Lousy job, NCL, taking the saunas away from the customers, only for the Spa patrons (not friendly at all). Great job, NCL, diminuating the photographers and their sales. Finally, NCL, WTF about there being no postcards on the ship, Even the worsest-ass, broke down, Motel 6 in Iowa has frickin' postcards. I asked repeatedly at the front desk, and repeatedly at the shop for a postcard, to buy or for free. The only ones that the sales clerk could find were about 8 of them, but they were all water-stuck together. So, while the overall cruise was great... there were a whole bunch of deficiencies that NCL ought to work on. NCL is one of our favorite cruise lines... and we will, doubtless, keep coming back.

How can a cruise ship run out of grapes...or skim milk?

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by stevecolchester

• Sail Date: January 2015
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony Stateroom
Worst entertainment, comedian Jeff somebody, who really phoned it in...
Food...Worst thing I ever put into my mouth was the shrimpburger, just awful...
Great job, NCL, on the ticketing system for shows... convenient and helpful.
Great job, NCL, diminuating the photographers and their sales.
stevecolchester’s Full Rating Summary