Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review
1,679 Reviews

Well maintained ship, not a ton of entertainment options

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by RC_TN_guy

• Sail Date: Dec 2014
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

I am going to start my review off by admitting that our experience may have been less than optimal as a result of the fact that we were the last cruise before the Christmas cruise. My wife and I have been cruising for almost a decade now and we have been cruising with Royal Caribbean for the majority of our cruises. Unfortunately, this was one of our worst Royal Caribbean experiences.

The Good:

This ship is older and smaller than many in the fleet, but don't let that deter you - it's been immaculately maintained. I understand they have recently renovated the ship, and it's in great shape! My wife and I have always enjoyed traditional dining and have been disappointed industry-wide that the dining room experience has seemed to be on the decline. Our last cruise on the Allure of the Seas, we were absolutely horrified by the quality of the dining room food. The Serenade of the Seas, however, renewed our faith in quality dining room food and service. There was a great selection, the food was fresh and the service was AMAZING. This is literally the ONLY time on a cruise ship that I've ordered a steak in the dining room rare and it actually come out as ordered. We were very pleased.

The Bad:

The entertainment options on the ship were extremely disappointing. The only option for entertainment after midnight was the "club" and even it was a ghost town. Again, this very well may be a result of the demographics of the passengers or the time of year and not the fault of the cruise. The ship was absolutely dead after 11:00 at night. It literally blew our minds. We always love sitting in the Pub listening to late night live music, and the pub on this ship didn't even have live music - just karaoke.

The other negative we experienced was the lack of late-night dining options. On most Royal Caribbean ships we've been on, the Wind Jammer has always had food at least until midnight, if not a midnight buffet. The Wind Jammer on this ship closed at 8 PM and after that literally all you could get was either a hot dog by the pool or room service - which had an extremely limited menu as well.

Otherwise, the trip was great. I'm not sure I would go on this ship again, but I'll definitely still give Royal Caribbean a pass that perhaps we caught them on an off week.

RC_TN_guy's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin E3 7520

The room was smaller than on other Royal Caribbean ships, but was very comfortable. The balcony was HUGE, but you don't have a ton of privacy because only about half of the balcony had a divider between the rooms next door. We were very happy with the room overall.

RC_TN_guy