3. Crown Princess
Embarkation – We chose to arrive the day before and stay at the Marriott Long Beach downtown, across from VON's grocery store. I like that hotel as I've stayed there before for business. I knew the Crown was having issues with NORO, so went to grocery bought Lysol with Hydrogen Peroxide spray and wipes. We then explored and went to a little cafe for dinner. I wanted to go to Roscoe Chicken and Waffles but no one wanted anything that heavy. On the embarkation day, it was a smooth start, we arrived at the terminal at 1330 all four of us as I brought my parents who are first time cruisers. It was overwhelming for them but they were troopers. We gave our luggage to the porter 8 pieces total 5 bags 2 cases of water and 1 case of sodas. With a $20 tip all items made it to our two rooms with not a problem. Actually, by the time we got through the check-in process and security, a few of our bags were in the room already. We went through the check-in process, lots of people and lots having trouble with English as a first language. There was some trouble with folks understanding the health questionnaire so that was a little confusing. Once past that check in was a breeze. We showed my parents the room, how the phone worked (dialing floor number and then room number), how the showers worked, etc. We also wiped down the room with the Lysol wipes and sprayed all the horizontal surfaces with the spray just to make sure we were good. They did lift the noro code red by the second day of the cruise and there were no problems with that. We then proceeded to horizon court for light lunch,and a little dessert. Then off to explore and show my parents the ship. After Exploring we went to our rooms to unpack a bit and prepare for muster drill, which was promptly held at 1600. once that was complete, we went to Sail away party, then headed to dinner, which was not great, the lines to the dining rooms were long, so instead headed to wheel house for a quick drink and to theater for the early show. That seemed to work for my parents each night. We'd head to a bar, grab a drink then head to theater for early show. They had an abbreviated show with Carlos Oscar, the Princess Dancers and introduction of the cruise directors and his staff. We finished the night out with a long walk to work off a big dinner. Overall first night was Good. San Diego So, having family in San Diego, once we were approved to leave we made our way to the gangway and off we went. We met our family on the street and headed to Old Town for shopping and lunch. We spent the day there and returned about an hour before all aboard. The weather was nice but way too cool for swimming or the hot tub so we went to a trivia activity and then off to the room to change. Our usual bar visit then the Princess theater to wait for the early show of the comedy magician Christopher James followed by dinner. 1st Sea day – Formal Night So, spent the day by the pool, little warmer and much nicer. Relaxed and just let the world go by. Went to the Cruise Critics Meet and greet, the Captain showed up and he was very nice. Spoke to us about somethings and overall was great. He answered all our questions and even joked a bit. Formal night was good, but really crowded around the piazza. There were the photographers and the bar folks out. The Show was good, I believe it was the comedy show with Carlos Oscar. Cabo San Lucus Great Port, but if you want to go the beach, just get off and get a water taxi as soon as you can. I made the mistake of trying to walk around the port but the ship docks so far away from the beach it was almost a good hour walk. You would think with as many ships that go here they would build a pier or something. The tendering was a combination of Local ships and Princess tenders, but the local ships were really tricky and rough. La Paz Very small little industrial port, with shuttles to the town. We did not go to the town, we instead did the Sea Lion excursion, and we swam with a large colony of male sea lions. FYI the pavement around the port and walk to the shuttles is very uneven, my dad tripped over a very uneven surface but luckily they had medical staff on hand to bandage him up. He's a trooper and we still went snorkeling. First the sea lions smell pretty bad and second, they will come into the water and nip at you, not hard but we were warned they may do that. We were also warned that we are not to get too close and if two start fighting (which they often do) to get away as quickly as possible. The experience was fun but a little too high stress for vacation. I will say the egress back into the boat was very difficult. Overall a good excursion for the money, even if the snorkeling was not great but I got to see a sea lion up close. Loretto Great port, small tender port with a wonderful shopping area only 5 blocks walk from the pier. If you get off the ship, go directly to the church / plaza area in town as they do a great show.. Lots of dancers and good shopping. We had beer and snacks in town, small bar close to the main shopping area. We went back to the ship early as it was getting really cold and windy, which was good as they stopped tendering operations for a while as the seas were too rough. It then turned really nasty so they had to postpone the ultimate deck party to the 3 sea day. 2nd Sea Day More pool action and the Cruise critics slot pull, we won enough to cover the $20 so I actually came out ahead. I've never done that before but would certainly do it again and suggest it. Puerto Vallarta Great day there, we went to old town, then to board walk area. My folks had been there many years before and enjoyed looking around again. We ate lunch in the old town market area, which was great. 3rd and 4th day at sea Great days, we had lots of time by the pool and watched football. I will say though, the last day was really cool no actual in pool time for me. Dis embarkation day went smoothly, we left our staterooms at 0830 went to Horizon court for breakfast and stayed there until our planned time of 1040 to be in Gatsby's casino, however there was an announcement made that they dis-embarkation was going so smoothly that at about 0945 if you wanted to walk off, you could do so. We gathered our things and went to Deck 7, walked straight off the ship with only about a 15 minute wait in the customs line. Overall the smoothest dis-embarkation I've ever experienced. Overall, the food was awesome, my mom and dad loved it We ate primarily at the Horizon court for breakfast and lunch, dinner in the Michelangelo Dinning room, except for one night in the Crown Grill and one night at the Horizon Court. We did eat breakfast in the main dinning room, just for the experience but I may not do that again. The Crown Grill was excellent, we each had a nice steak and the sides were awesome, they brought out all the sides family style for us to share. We also enjoyed the burgers at the Trident Grill, on the sea days we'd get one and split it just to taste them. They were excellent. The entertainment was amazing, the Princess Dancers were good and the Best show they put on was Destination Anywhere, fabulous. The Cruise directors staff was wonderful and I loved the international talent show. Always a great group of talent amongst the crew. The Comedy magician Christopher James was great, the Ventriloquist was awesome and the Comedians Carlos Oscar and A.J. Jamel were outstanding. There were a couple of technical problems, one day the alarm sounded for stage 1 or something to that effect, apparently we lost a cylinder in one of the main generators so they had to take it offline and fix it. It did flood a compartment with smoke, but it must have been in a technical space cause it never got into the main areas. However 18 hours later the captain came on the PA and announced that it had been fixed by the engineering staff and we were back to normal operations. We never noticed any issues or concerns. Then there was a second stage 1 announcement, a steam pipe had burst causing a leak of steam, they got it under control but because we lost steam we would have to slow our speed down until the boilers got back up to pressure. I thought the ship was electric so I do not know what that was all about. Other than slowing slightly, there was no noticeable issues. The MUTS had issues, during several of the movies and the Football games, the audio would cut out, and that was annoying. Hope this helps, as mentioned they did lift the code red the 2nd day into the trip, so NORO was not an issue on this cruise. I think the short 3 and 4 day cruise bring in a lot of people increasing the chance of noro. Just my opinion based on the number of people. Who knows whats going on. All I know is NORO was not a problem on this cruise, at least not for us. Overall I gave the entire trip a 4.5 out of 5 for my families personal experience( would have been a 5 out of 5 except for the MUTS audio problems).

Great time on the Crown Princess

chsalas’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA C317
The room was spacious and inviting, we had a wonderful Stewart named Soltero. Great guy. The balcony was large, and awesome, there was some rust around the edges of the balcony, that's to be expected from any ocean going vessel I suspect. While we were close to the laundry arae, never heard a sound from it. I will stay in that location on a the Grand class again, perffect, close to the gym, close to the middle of the ship and far enough from the buffet to keep me safely away from the deserts and cookies!
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cabo San Lucas
    View All 1,323 Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Review
  • La Paz
    IT WAS Loretto BUT THERE WAS NO DROP DOWN FOR LORETTO!

View All 62 La Paz Cruise Port Reviews