3. Viking Spirit (Retired)
My wife and I have traveled extensively, and I grew up as an Air Force brat and lived all over the world, so I'd like to propose that I know a little bit about travel, to know when I am being treated well, and to also know when it is or is not, a problem that the Cruise Company should have handled better. My wife and I enjoyed a Paris to Normandy cruise last year with Viking, and we are going to go on another Viking Cruise in April this year, so that ought to give you an idea of how much we liked Viking. But I've read some absolutely ridiculous and laughable reviews in this website, people claiming that situations were not right, or that various conditions on a river should have been prevented by Viking, ie; 1) One review of the Viking Le Rhone River cruise, said that they were mad about the river being too shallow for the Viking ship to proceed to where it was supposed to go. You have to ask yourself, how was Viking supposed to anticipate that condition? How can the river being shallow, be Viking's fault? The reviewer went on to complain that Viking closed the sun deck too often. Yes, Viking does not allow people on the sun deck when the ship goes through low bridges, but at all other times, the sun deck is always open. Then the reviewer went on to complain that the Captain did not speak English? Hello, you are in Europe and not everyone is going to speak English to you ! 2) Another reviewer complained about being just below the "runner's deck" (must have been referring to the sun deck?) and was aggravated that passengers's that were running, were interrupting their sleep. Hello, didn't you look at the ship's deck plan? When you are on a ship, you are going to find that some people and situations are ok, and scenarios might not be what you would prefer. 3) Another reviewer complained that their room was too small? Hello, didn't you look at the ship's room plan information? There is a large amount of information on the Viking website, showing and describing each room category. Besides, who wants to spend any more time in your stateroom, than you have to, when the lovely sites of each river bank are sliding by? I am not associated with Viking, I am just another Viking customer, but the number of people who do not perform even the slightest amount of research before paying their money to go on these cruises, astounds me! My wife and I generally research trips, to insure that we are going to get the best bang for our buck. If you select a trip, do yourself a favor and research what it is all about, and stop using these forums as a place for you to vent about what you didn't get !

What to expect on a Viking River Cruise