• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Mar 2007
Cabin:
Traveled with children

Where to start. This was my second time to cruise on Grandeur of the Seas, my husband's first and my children's first cruise period. My husband and I have cruised before. Grandeur is just that Grand. She is an older ship showing some wear but scheduled for dry dock in April, 07 which will improve her grandeur!

I booked our cruise directly thru Royal Caribbean with absolutely no problems. Prices seemed to compare to other places. Spring break was the right time for us since our children are out of school. We chose to drive from Oklahoma to New Orleans. Although we met with a little bump in the road being a car wreck on the interstate outside of Baton Rouge. We were able to get a rental to finish our journey to port. We chose to stay across from the port at the Marriott Convention. I booked with the Marriott online and received the cruise special where our rental car remained parked for the cruise. When time to go to port, my husband drove us there, we unloaded our luggage with the porters and he then drove the car back to the Marriott to be parked. It was then just a short walk for him back to port. We were able to see a little of New Orleans before we embarked. The city is back with people everywhere!!

Embarkation was easy. There seemed to be quite a few people but it went rather quickly. We soon had our sea passes and were headed aboard to check things out (time approx 1:00 p.m.). The ship is a great ship but is showing some wear. However, the staff were constantly cleaning. It was easy to find our way around and there were plenty of employees ready to help if we needed it. I booked us an inside cabin (one must try them all). It was small for 4 people but who spends much time in a cabin anyway. We had 6:00 p.m. dining and it took till about 4:30 to get all but 2 of our bags. We were able to get ready and head for dinner. During dinner an announcement was made that if you were missing luggage to go to a certain area. Since we were missing 2 bags my husband went. All luggage with any liquid in it was being held because it was spring break and people smuggle alcohol onboard. We had only brought some water. So after a quick check by Royal Caribbean, our bags were released to us. After dinner, we unpacked. For such a small room, we were able to find a home for everything (8 bags worth). By the way if you don't have room for your empty suitcases, your cabin steward will store them for you. I personally don't think I will ever stay in an inside cabin again unless it is just my husband and I. Two is fine but four a little much.

previous reviewnext review