3. Voyager of the Seas
I have done a few reviews of the 12 cruises we have done & always focused on the positive with a few niggles. After reading negative reviews lately of the Voyager I was sure it was from people who are too picky. Unfortunately I was wrong. We have been on Rhapsody 3 nighter a few years ago for my mothers 70th. Being a sampler we thought they would pull out all stops to convert those who hadn’t cruised to the “dark” side. It was a shocker, but put all the staff issues down to a one off. RCCL are still playing the same games overpromising & underdelivering. It could be the 3 day itinerary, as other who had sailed before on Voyager had high praise & were as shocked as we were by the issues. First the good… The ship is great, really good refurb . I can see where the money went as the décor was the best we have experienced over P& O , Princess & carnival. On the surface it looks so exciting with all these different venues. That was it!! Scratch the surface & it is all an illusion. Food- Pretty good. We ate at Giovanni’s first night & it was excellent. Windjammers was a good variety & plenty of it but again very hard to get a table. Didn’t get Breakfast in Dining room as there was always a queue plus was only open from 7- 9.30.We had late sitting for dinner & the waitstaff were great, meals were delicious & nothing too much problem Shows- Not a big show person, but my wife, is & loved them . I went too & enjoyed. The Ice skate show was impressive. Arriving only after line reduced still got a good seat. The Bad !! From the beginning, we got an email to say even though we had nominated early boarding which was confirmed on our seapass we would now have to board at 4.30pm plus ,for some reason we would now be leaving at 7.30 not 9pm. We had booked dinner in Giovanni’s at 7pm so we could be up for sailaway. Lots of angst deciding what to do. Managed to change booking to 8pm, thanks guys. We still can’t figure why that happened. We took the drinks package which seemed like a good idea but became concerned reading reviews about lack of drinks staff, etc. Spot on! The bar staffing for a ship that has 3400 odd passengers had staffing for about 1600 passengers .Every bar had a huge queue all cruise long with one or 2 bar staff. They worked there butt off. At first we assumed it was all people wanting there first drink. They might have got on top but then it was time for muster (which was a debacle) & you had 3000 people wanting a drink after it was over. Drinks Package- No way would I do it again! You would have to be an alcoholic to drink that much for a whole cruise. As it was we only took the package as it was a 3 day cruise & wanted to try it. There are no prices on any of the drinks menu so no idea what we would have paid & for those not on a package no way to know what you are clocking up on account. The bar staff didn’t give a bugger about service or drink quality, assuming we were all on the package & as far as they were concerned we were getting drinks for free. Wrong , we paid up front! I ordered a margarita which is not a margarita without salt on the rim to balance flavor. My barman did a rough pour , quick shake & poured into glass. When I asked about salt on rim he grumbled took another glass out the back & came back & poured Margie into that glass & thumped on bar. My sister was in Pig & Whistle pub to order a Bacardi & coke & got a Malibu & Coke which she didn’t like. She said she had asked for a Bacardi & Coke . She was told that was what she had. She again asked for the right drink & 3 staff came & intimidated & argued with her. Eventually they made her another one. This was 2 examples of many over the weekend. We often would order a glass of red wine & despite ordering the same one it would taste different each time. Cask wine anyone?? Venues- For a ship that size the only venue, that was big enough for any event was the show lounge. Trivia was in Pig & whistle Pub that has about 20 seats. You could rarely get a seat in any lounge. As usual there were people sitting in there reading a book at a table for 4. The pools were jam packed the bars were 3 deep & not a lounge to be found in adults only area. Many seemed to have towels on them all day with no one there despite signs saying reserving would be policed. FlowRider- I waited 40 minutes in a line for 1 staff member sign a waiver. Once I had that the wait wasn’t too long to have a go. Good fun. Putt Putt- never got a chance. Queues in the sun all day just to get a putter then wait to start. Johhny Rockets- Booked out all cruise. Parents went for lunch at 3.30 but pretty basic. Izumi- Very good. Lifts- very slow, stopping at all floors. Because they were slow, often no one on that level because they gave up waiting. We often stay on lower levels & use the stairs to burn off indulgences but because it is a tall ship ( 13 levels) it is that extra couple of levels that make you use it more. Staff- Like our first RCCL cruise we seem to have the “B” team on board, so that’s all I can go on. I have never seen such a disinterested, unmotivated crew before. I know they are working but staff usually make the most of it. Our last cruise on Carnival legend really was the fun ship with staff looking you in the eye, greeting you continually, asking how your day was & stopping for a chat. This was the complete opposite apart from a few gems like the funny lady at Windjammers singing Washy Washy, get some Yum Yum, No washy No Yum Yum or the mature aged Italian waiter cracking jokes at lunch in the dining room. Usually staff would look through you like you were a ghost or if you said something too them barely acknowledge your existence or be just plain rude. Casino- was good . We lost money & won money & could stay for hours without being fleeced as opposed to the C legend casino( that was the worst thing about that ship). Funny though the cashier could put a debit for US dollars on your account to gamble but when it came time to cash in they gave you US dollars. I asked to have it taken off my onboard account but was told I would have to go to reception on Level 5. I waited in line for 40 mins to pay off my account. Maybe americans are used to lines & I expected a few lines but there was nothing we did that didn’t involve lining up . It was like the ship wasn’t really designed for that many passengers. Never have we had a problem on other ships. Obviously being a short cruise everyone was wanting to do everything so we had to change our thinking of a relaxing cruise to surrender & accept it. Cabins- Our group was on level 3 with new inside cabins that replaced the nightclub so were nice & new. Pretty quiet with good access to areas. Departure- As we were driving home ourselves we requested latest disembark. We got told to leave at 7.30. Why ask?? When we boarded we were asked whether we wanted our account converted back to AUD by RCCL or my Bank. I had nominated my bank online but didn’t register for check in so again ticked that box. As a final kick in the bum from RCCL we got our account converted by them with an exchange rate of 70 cents. Luck it wasn’t too much on account otherwise it could have got nasty. Summary- My parents love Radiance & have sailed a number of times & couldn’t believe it was the same cruise line. We did hear this from many passengers some who had sailed Voyager pre refurb. Based on what we experienced, never again. The ship felt crowded & noisy . Apart from promenade deck there was nowhere quiet to relax with a book or snooze. There is too much competition for our cruise dollar with better experiences elsewhere. Yes it was 3 dayer but I would’nt risk it nor recommend them to anyone. Apologies to those booked but hope RCCL read these sort of forums & lift there game.

Voyager Of The Seas sampler 22 Jan 2015