3. Carnival Victory
We took our first "family" cruise last week out of Miami - and it was great! Six of us had separate but nearby rooms on Empress deck. Our room - 7425 - was the largest and we congregated there at night to play games and plan for the day. -Food: We ate most meals together during the flexible dining time and had fun sampling different offerings. Also liked the Sunday brunch and elegant night. I would recommend the vegetarian Indian choice from the regular menu, which I was afraid to try until the last night. Room service was wonderful, and if there was a time delay, we were told to expect it, which was good to know. -Excursions: My husband and I opted not to get off at Key West since we had been there before, and I really enjoyed having the ship's adult hot tubs to myself throughout the day. The kids opted for catamaran/snorkeling, which was not the best choice since it was rough seas and overcast. They also complained that the operators were not very responsive or friendly. In Cozumel four of us did an independent tour on Wild Tour's X-Rail - I'll write a separate review of that later, but the bottom line is NO! Our son and grand daughter arranged a last minute sting ray tour in Cozumel and they had a blast. It was perfect for her age group and not as costly as swimming with the dolphins. Other: Loved the Carnival Kids' Camp for our 7 year-old grand daughter. A highlight of the cruise was that my daughter won $500 playing bingo - she had to split the $1000 jackpot with another winner, but that's ok! -Recommendations: I do wish Carnival would approach the muster drill differently - it was horrendous, being made to stand on a hot, humid deck for such a long length of time surrounded by drunken, loud individuals. Never did see anyone come around to "count" us. It's not a good way to start a cruise! Another recommendation is to have someone "supervise" the kids at the main pool, or at least have someone in authority walk by occasionally - the kids tended to get a bit rowdy and the parents obviously weren't there to reign them in. Also, lounge chairs were saved by people putting items on them - then they never came back. That was frustrating for those trying to watch their kids and not being able to sit nearby. It had been about 8 years since our last Carnival Cruise and I was surprised that so little had changed. Seriously, they have the same programs, the same jokes, the same artwork at the auctions, the same muster drill, same everything. Surprised that they haven't "updated," but apparently it's working very well for them! Will we be back? Probably! If not Carnival, maybe another line. It's hard to beat the price, service, and diversity of entertainment options. Our only problem is the expense in getting there - I'm envious of those living close to cruise ports!

Key West / Cozumel

Ages 7 to 9
Get Carnival Victory price drops

Premium Vista Balcony
Cabin 9C 7425
Loved this room! The balcony was HUGE - wrapped around the aft and port sides - had 4 chairs and one lounge chair. A few minor downsides to the room were: 1) debris did blow off upper deck - used matches and cereal (bran flakes?) rained on us a bit. I'm assuming is was debris and not intentionally thrown since I couldn't see anyone above us at the time. 2) when showering, there was an odor from the drains in the floor and water was visibly backing up from the drain. We just took quicker showers. 3) you're on opposite end of Atlantis Dining Room, which I'm sure is done on purpose to get you to walk through the casino and other areas. It can be tricky finding it at first.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins