3. Disney Dream
This being my first cruise experience, perhaps it is common practice to nickel and dime guests every step of the way, to which Disney does not disappoint. "All inclusive" (with the exception of alcohol of any kind) was the expectation going into the experience. Not so much the outcome. Room service 24/7 was to be included in the "all inclusive". Room service menu options allow you to order salmon, steak sandwiches, etc. for "free", however to order a 5.5 oz. bag of popcorn is available for an "additional nominal fee". That nominal fee is not disclosed on the menu. Same thing with soda. You want a Coke included with your room service delivery? You're going to pay extra for that too, for an "additional nominal fee". Again, it is not disclosed what that fee is on the menu. This is the trend with everything that isn't included in your "all-inclusive", everything is a "nominal fee" and never disclosed what price you will be charged. WiFi is not free. There are 3 different usage tiers that you can sign up for at "an additional nominal fee". Even some of the lowest end hotels that I've stayed at offer free WiFi. Disney, however, realizes that they have a boat full of passengers that have no means of connecting to the internet, so they use that to their advantage by charging the "nominal fee" for the guests' "convenience". They also take it upon themselves for "your convenience" to automatically charge you $12/day, per person for gratuities AND also give you the option to hand out even more money for those who provided exceptional service. The one thing that I will give this cruise line is that their employees (servers, stateroom hosts, etc) were very good at their jobs, friendly and accommodating. They each deserved and earned healthy gratuities, to which I personally have NO problem over-tipping for good service. I do however, have a personal dislike when I am FORCED to tip a certain percent, especially when I was not with a large group. We did not even dine in any of the restaurants one day, nor had our stateroom serviced that same day, however we were still "conveniently" charged the $12/day for tipping our dining room serving staff and stateroom attendant. I tip well when a service is provided. I do not appreciate being forced to tip in any circumstance, but especially on a service that I did not receive. Perhaps my tolerance for fake or over-dramatizing an experience is very low, but the reference to everything being "magical" throughout this experience is exhausting. If I ever hear the term "magical" again, it will be too soon. This "magical-ness" is shoved down your throat from the moment you "check-in" to board the boat. The entire "prep work" that you have to go through, months before you even board the boat, through the time you actually check in to board, all feels a little too "Big Brother-esque" for my comfort. Disclosing all kinds of personal information that really should have no baring on any vacation, so many forms and questionaires and "remember to bring this with you" and "attach this" and "don't forget that thing I sent to you 5 months ago!"... It's like writing a novel and promising your first born child away just to get on a 3-day boat ride. The entire experience left me feeling more like "they've set this up using your 'Key To The World' card as a 'convenience' ploy, but in reality wouldn't be surprised if it was actually more used for strategic marketing to track guests' activities while on-board (how long they stay in the room, tracked by forcing the key to be inserted into the wall in order to have electricity in the room; etc). Seemed like a convenience ploy on the surface, but underlying a little creepy. You can't escape the "Disney" of the experience. The characters make more than enough appearances, to which all of the children shriek with delight and bolt towards, knocking any and all adults over in the process. The "adults only" labeled sections of the boat are NOT, repeat NOT, secluded to individuals 18 and over. There are certainly signs posted outside of these areas, indicating that children under 18 are not to enter, however that certainly does not happen and no staff members enforce this. Every time I went to an adults only area (not only marked, but good parents would normally think are not appropriate to bring a child into ~ ie a BAR), there were more than a few kids hanging out. Not just teenagers, but children closer to 5-9 years old. Take it for what it's worth, but in reality, there are not true adults only areas that are respected and treated as such. Prior to going on the cruise, I had heard good reviews about the quality of the food, which I was hoping would be a highlight of the experience, since the cruise what not my idea to go on. If you are individual who enjoys buffets and buffet food quality, you will be in heaven. Unfortunately, I am not one of those individuals. I personally find most buffet food to be of poor quality, cold, tasteless and usually highly over cooked. This food was no exception to my generalized expectation. Dinner was not buffet and SOME of the food served at dinner was actually good, above average quality. I'd put about 50% of dinner's food in the above average quality, the other 50% was either average at best, and some was down right bad. Lunch / buffet line food, was typical buffet food. Everything was bland and needed heavy seasoning, and much of it was extremely overcooked.

Disney does not disappoint

Disney Dream Cruise Review by mkewi78

• Sail Date: January 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas
mkewi78’s Full Rating Summary
Get Disney Dream price drops

This room's specs indicate that it's for "family" and that it can fit 3-4 people comfortably. We had 2 adults in this room and I would not want to try to squeeze in anyone else. Even if it were a small child, we were tripping over each other as it was just trying to walk from one side of the room to the other. From what I am told from others who take cruises frequently, the room size we had on Disney Dream is larger than most other boats.Room was VERY clean at all times, nice finishes, nothing "run down" or "worn out" about anything in the space. Great credit goes to our stateroom attendant, did a seamless job of our room always being exceptionally clean & the cute towel animals left on our bed each night gave us a good laugh.The balcony is nice to have to escape from the typical noise throughout the majority of the ship. It was a shame that one of our neighbors decided to break the "no smoking on the balcony" rule (it is supposed to be a $250 fine if you smoke in the room or on the balcony). We could smell the smoke in our room on multiple occasions, if we could have distinguished which neighbor it was coming from, it would have been helpful to eliminate the problem.One other thing to mention about stateroom, you can hear EVERYTHING from the hallway. Every time a child goes running down the hall (which was every other minute it seemed like), you will hear it every time as it echoes and it can keep you up at night.
  Disney Dream Deck Plans

• Castaway Cay
    Attended a wedding so time spent on the island was limited. It appeared that almost everyone on the cruise did get off the boat and took advantage of the beach, which made the beach seem very crowded and not very peaceful. I was under the impression (per what I was told by the wedding group) that the wedding would take place in a "private, sectioned off" portion of the island and that the ceremony would be very private and anyone not invited to the wedding would not have access to where we would be. After attending the wedding, that comment is laughable. There were lounge chairs not even 20 feet away from the wedding ceremony seating, with people in their bathing suits hanging out and watching the entire ceremony. Taking their own pictures of the wedding and stopping on the sidewalk watching the entire wedding. This was not my wedding, but I would not have been pleased with such a public display of what I personally would have wanted to be a private moment between my husband, family and friends. Not to include strangers and looky-loos, photo-bombing in the background of all of my ceremony pictures in their bathing suits.
    View All 459 Castaway Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Castaway Cay Cruise Port Review
  • Nassau
    I have been the Bahamas years ago. Beautiful island, with many fun adventures and exciting things to see. Unfortunately, where Disney Dream docks at, is right on top of the flea market and "shopping" area in Nassau. This entire area did not feel safe to be at all. I have traveled throughout the Caribbean quite a bit, so I knew what to expect as far as aggressive sales tactics and what-not, but the aggressiveness and following you as you walk through stores and down the street was a new experience even for me.It would have been much more pleasant to have easy access to one of Bahamas beautiful beaches for a few hours while we were docked or, at minimum, a section a little less "seedy" where safety didn't feel so questioned.
    View All 5,950 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews