Crown Princess Cruise Review
2,116 Reviews

Thinking Princess Cruises? Travel Guard? AIG? National Union Fire?

Crown Princess Cruise Review by hwjjr

• Sail Date: Nov 2014
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

The disclaimers first: I have only done three cruises so I'm not a seasoned traveler and my first cruise was on Crystal Cruises and I have found nothing to compare yet.

I left Tucson driving early to spend a few days in California before my cruise and was about half way to LA when a got and email telling me that my cruise was being shortened be a day and now would not leave until the Sunday after the original departure time. They made sure to tell me in the email that I couldn't cancel and that I had no recourse against them. By the time we got to LA we had another email telling us that the departure was moved out another four hours.

We learned that the original lost day was due to a crew member illness and the additional four hours was due to norovirus on the ship and because they had to disinfect the ship twice.

We didn't get all of our luggage until we had already spent a night. And the bag we didn't get had our medications in it. We were told several times that our only option was to wait for the bag.

We had several experiences with employees telling us this was their first trip on the ship and wondered why. An employee finally told us that they had to replace a number of employes on the ship due to norovirus.

About the third day we had an announcement that there was norovirus on the ship. The Captain finally announced that a number of people had asked how many cases were on the ship (Well Duh! Really?) so he disclosed that, at the time, there 39 cases including five staff members.

We frequently had cold food at the venue we dined at most often. We had constant concerns about norovirus and limited our exposure to the public. It seemed that the activities on ship either cost the passenger money or didn't cost the cruise line much. When you are constantly concerned about norovirus (we are both old people) you can't really enjoy your trip. The trip was ruined.

I suppose a seasoned traveler would say don't buy travel insurance but our travel agent suggested buying, not the coverage from the cruise line, because "it wasn't much good", and buy something called "Travel Guard". We bought what they call a "Gold Policy" and I can't imagine it being more useless! Princess gave us a pathetic credit for the disasters which included a 20% discount on a future cruise which we will never use. The insurance company (AIG) said that because the cruise line compensated us for the losses they would only pay the expenses for food and lodging for the lost day. Never mind that the cruise line gave us something of no value, AIG decided it was suitable. I paid $186 for the travel insurance and they gave me $199 - $13 more than I paid them. I like my travel agent but I wont use her again for recommending useless insurance.

I think I am through cruising (thank you Princess) unless I decide to save a little longer and go back to Crystal Cruises.

This was a horrible experience.

hwjjr's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BE R746

Cabin was not bad. Had great service. did have a problem with intermittent toilet function so we had a badly stopped up toilet.

hwjjr