3. Explorer of the Seas
Eight days aboard the soon to be refurbished Explorer of the Seas. The good: Port Canaveral efficient as always - My first favorite port to drive to, and second to sail from (Port Everglades is my favorite to cruise from). Showed up around 11:30 and was onboard in less than 15 minutes. Excellent bar service - Bartenders were very helpful even though I had the beverage package but my wife did not. Efficient service, great drinks, well worth the additional tips I provided. Very festive New Years Eve celebration - The Royal Promenade was hopping! I spend NYE 1999 in Vegas, and this crowd was just as rowdy (just not as large). Strong 8 day itinerary keeping us south enough to enjoy the warm temps everyone is looking for in December. The fact that you do more southern ports is the even more significant than you sail around for 8 days. I choose routes like this whenever I can. Excellent MTD service - MTD can go either way based on when you are seated versus those around you (makes things easier/more difficult for your wait staff). We had the same waiters all but one night, and they got us in and out there with no additional delays. The menus had enough variety for everyone in our party. Common areas in great ship - While you could spot the blemishes if you were looking for them, the truth is the ship looked good for one about to enter refurb. The so so: Cabin carpet and balcony floors showing the wear common to ships that are due to be refurbed. The sofa had noticeable stains as well. Neither impacted my vacation, nor would it have yours. If you are reading this review after March of 2015 these items will have already been addressed. Self debark was a nightmare as a LARGE number of people opted for it. People were lined up across most of deck 4, spiraling though the casino, wrapping around the dining room. Part of this was caused by the fact that the pilot was late arriving to the ship (~45 minutes; watched him arrive from my balcony), so it docked late. I give Royal a pass on this one due to the delay which was out of their control. Things I can't comment on: Missed most shows due to our dining times. The one we went to (dancers) was well done. All our excursions were private (seasoned cruisers), so I can't comment about the ones Royal was offering.

Excellent New Years Eve cruise

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by JasonV1

Eight days aboard the soon to be refurbished Explorer of the Seas.
The good:
The so so:
Things I can't comment on:
JasonV1’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

Great location, very quiet. I picked this cabin myself so I expected that based on where it was in relation to stairwells and distance from public areas on the ship. You are opposite the Promonade (view) cabins so if it is rocking with the big shows some noise could be heard.
  Explorer of the Seas Deck Plans