3. Queen of the Mississippi
I was told by a friend to write this review to help others who may be thinking of this particular cruise. My husband and I took a late season cruise on the Mississippi with another couple on an American Cruise line Queen of the Mississippi river boat. We went from Memphis to New Orleans in 7 days and it cost $10,800 for the two of us. First thing we were told was to go to the 2nd floor to “listen to music” and have warm cookies. But the first view of the inside of the boat showed chipped wood on “wainscoting”; there seems to be a lack of maintenance. On the second floor the band was sitting around on chairs with instruments strewn about in a room filled with about 20 or more full sized sofas and about 70 chairs – it looked like a storage area. The chairs and sofas were drab and stained. No cookies were there and the band played one piece and left. We went to our room and unpacked. My husband opened a drawer and found used napkins inside. At the informational meeting the managers were introduced and I went to the housekeeping manager asking about maintaining my insulin cold. She drew a blank even though the brochure assured that there was storage for insulin on board; she mentioned buying a cooler in Memphis and I assured her that my insulin needed 9 days of cold - a cooler would not work. She then went to find a small refrigerator for the room and installed it by moving furniture around. When the furniture was moved, an old piece of clothing was behind a cabinet. The boat’s service for both serving food and cleaning rooms was done by 18 to 21 year old persons – all very nice, bubbly and service oriented. Just ask and they would do it. But the poor kids would serve food at breakfast and then run to clean a certain number of rooms But how well can these young adults do both these same jobs – what 19/20 year old knows how to look for and find dirt or serve a table of 8 properly? At one meal we asked for more bread and the waitress threw the second bowl of bread into the old napkin filled empty bowl. And the food; my husband ate only fish and he found it delicious. As a meat eater I had trouble with dry overcooked meats; chicken seemed to have been boiled and have a sauce layered on top. All I can say about the food is that it was below average diner food. Maybe it’s because I come from a major city and am used to great food almost anywhere but for the price we paid, it was underwhelming. I’ve been on the European river cruises and the food was unforgettable so it’s not because you can’t use open fires or flames on a boat. And the Mississippi itself – it’s the ugliest river I’ve seen. Because it’s a flood plain, there are no real houses to see and no scenery. Now that I mention this trip to neighbors who come from the Midwest they say “Oh, we wondered why you would go there – didn’t you know how ugly it is?” And I ask them “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Mississippi River Cruise (Memphis to New Orleans)

Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by iri