3. Regal Princess
We sailed Regal Princess Christmas week 2014. The ship was full with 4000 passengers. This is my 5th Princess cruise, 7th overall. My BF has sailed many more times than me on both Princess as well as other cruise lines. We are both Princess Platinum. We are 43 and 42. I will start by saying we had an absolutely wonderful time and would love to sail Regal again in a heartbeat. I only had a few minor criticisms. Embarkation was a breeze. It took 10 minutes or less to check in, we were onboard by noon and our room was ready. The ship is truly beautiful, elegant, lovely in every way. The online pictures do not do the Regal justice. The atrium is much more beautiful in real life, as is the whole ship. Although the ship was fully booked we never felt crowded anywhere. It was kind of strange! Room: We had a mid-ship mini-suite A407. The room is very spacious and well laid out. There is plenty of storage. I’m a heavy packer and there were still some empty drawers. The bathroom is lovely with a large tub and plenty of storage for your toiletries (and I have a lot). The balcony was nice. It’s perfect to sit out with a glass of wine and enjoy the sea air. The size was not an issue for us. We were a few decks down from the Seawalk, and it was slightly off to the side. You can see up into it and those above can see you on your balcony, if that matters to you. For me it didn’t. Most people on the Seawalk are oblivious anyway. Pools: This is where I have a criticism. I wish there was another full size pool that was quiet. The MUTS pool is too loud. If you want quiet you must move to an area away from the main pool and hot tubs or go to the Retreat Pool. The Retreat pool is lovely, IF you can get a lounger. Lounge hogs were in full effect everywhere, especially the Retreat. I was happy to see deck attendants taking their towels away after a while. All pools are colder than a frozen margarita, seriously. The aft pool is far too small. I also feel the fountains are a waste of space. That being said we enjoyed our poolside time very much. Spa: We had a nice couples massage and it was great. The new location of the Spa near the Piazza is fantastic. Yes they do try to sell you stuff but not too forcefully. I wish they would stop doing that. Entertainment: We only saw 2 theater shows: the Beatlemaniacs which were fantastic, and “Spectacular” which was not so…spectacular. (They tried, it’s just not my thing.) The bartender flair show at the Seawalk bar is not to be missed! Get there early for a good spot. There was an excellent quartet (Rick Kilburn) that played in numerous venues, we enjoyed them a lot. There was also a comedian who was pretty good. Princess Live is a very cool venue, check it out. It’s something different and fun. Overall, the entertainment everywhere was good quality and varied. There is plenty of time to see the theater shows every night, they run 3x per night. Food: Horizon court is AWESOME. You will never have the crowds and people in your way and in your face. It’s so large and well laid out. The food is overall very good. There is plenty of seating as well. Don’t miss the Crab Shack ($20 pp) at night, we loved it (happens 2x per cruise). The seafood is delicious and abundant. Sabatini’s and Crown Grill are fantastic as always, we ate here 2 times each. MDR leaves much to be desired, the waitstaff are very overworked and therefore cannot pay proper attention to the guests. They forgot a course one night and on another night couldn’t deliver our drink order in a timely fashion. This is why we prefer the special restaurants. The price is good and the food and service are top notch. They want you to try everything so don’t be shy. Get those extra lobster tails or have 3 appetizers! Alfredo’s Pizzeria makes fantastic pizza, it’s a step above Prego pizza at the pool and very nice environment to dine in. It gets busy on sea days so be prepared. Trident grill and Prego Pizza are good as always. Service: All around excellent. Everyone says hello and smiles, even when just walking past them. Wait staff are all around excellent. Room steward did an excellent job. Drink package: We did the all-inclusive beverage package. It was well worth it. Both people in the cabin do NOT have to buy it. Note that you cannot work it to serve 2: they will only give you one drink at a time. Even if you want bottled water and a cocktail you must wait and get them one at a time. However, you can get cocktails or wine at dinner as well as a bottle of sparkling or still water for the table. We made full use of the package and probably came out ahead. It includes all your alcohol by the glass below $10 (vast majority of drinks) as well as sodas, bottled water, coffees, gelato, juices, mocktails, basically everything. Buy it at any bar when you get onboard. Other notes: - Bellini bar is lovely, it’s a good place to watch what’s happening in the Piazza in the evening and the cocktails are good. We did not try the Ocean Terrace Seafood bar but it looks similarly nice. - The lack of a mid-ship staircase makes no difference, in fact it was better: we just took the elevators instead of hoofing it! There are 6 elevators in one place, you never have to wait more than 1 minute. And this was on a full ship. There are so many complaints about this it makes me feel that CC readers have been brain washed to believe it’s a problem when in fact it’s not a problem at all. Haters must hate, I guess. - Don’t miss sailaway on the top deck, they play the Love Boat horn and it is AWESOME!!!!! Overall this was a perfect vacation with just a few little complaints. I highly recommend this ship and hope to sail her again someday.

Wonderul Christmas Cruise

grouchomarx’s Full Rating Summary
Get Regal Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA A407
This mini-suite was very spacious and well appointed. I liked the heavy curtain to divide the sleeping and sitting area, it helps if someone is napping . The sofa is HUGE. The two flat TV's are nice although one remote will activate both unless the curtains are closed. The bathroom is large and attractive with lots of space in the shower/tub for all your little bottles as well as plenty of space by the sink for storage. Hangers were plentiful, I've never seen so many in a cruise cabin before. Storage all around is plentiful and 2 large suitcases stow under the bed. There are 2 electrical outlets on the desk so you might want a travel clock for the bedside. The welcome champagne is a nice touch. The balcony is adequate for 2 people to sit and relax. I don't get all the complaints.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Princess Cays
    We took the tenders around 9:30 and arrived to pick out our clamshell rental. This is a must on the island for shade and privacy. The sea water was a little cold but we enjoyed swimming. BRING WATER SHOES- the beach is full of rocks and you will need them. I did paddle boarding and kayaking, both were fun but challenging wit high winds. Book your water sports rentals ahead of time, things were sold out and people were disappointed. The beach bbq is very nice and well organized, they have 4 lines so it doesn't get backed up. There are burgers, dogs, fish, chicken, ribs, various salads and plenty of sweets. Simple but nice. Beach bar service can be spotty so take a walk if you're thirsty.
    View All 595 Princess Cays Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Princess Cays Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    We did not do an excursion here but simply walked off the ship to explore. There is plenty of shopping right off the ship as well as place for a drink or a bite to eat. It was very hot and sunny so we didn't stay too long but the area was nice and the water taxi is right there.
    View All 4,823 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • Eco Tour
    This tour was great. We kayaked through the mangroves, did a hike through some wooded area and out to the beach, visiting a blow hole and some tidal pools, followed by snorkeling through the mangroves. This is different than snorkeling in deeper waters, the fish are very close by to you. We saw many varieties of fish as well as squid and sting rays. The tour guides were very nice and friendly and the trip to the tour site wasn't too far from the ship.