3. Allure of the Seas
Let me first say that we have cruised out of every cruise port in Florida on alomost every cruise line and I have to say that the embarkation from Port Everglades on this ship was one of the smoothest we have ever encountered. That does not mean that there were not lines inside the terminal, but that things flowed quickly and efficiently. The staggered boarding times probably helped with this process. Also, with boarding after 2pm (as we did) our staterooms were all ready and our bags quickly arrived and put in our cabin by our cabin steward while we explored the ship and searched out the best places to grab a drink and a snack. I would suggest ignoring the urge to be one of the first to board the ship and either enjoy Fort Lauderdale in the morning or start your journey from your home distination a little later in the morning (in our case about a 3 hour drive). As a family traveling with two boys (18 & 9) we found that this ship provided lots of options for everyone. Although it is a large ship with lots of passengers, other than dining in the Windjammer buffet and the New Years party on the Royal Promenade, things were not what I would call "overly crowded". On the first couple of sea days the pool decks were near capacity with sunbathers but chairs were still available. There were some lines at the Flowrider, Zipline and on the Sports Court, but about what you would expect on any other cruise line. The "Neighborhoods" provided lots of different options during the day. - Decks 15 & 16 - sun, pools and sports - Royal Promenade - a a nice climate controlled place to people watch, shop, get a drink or a snack. There are a number of street parties that take place here in addition to the big New Year's Party that was on our sailing. - Boardwalk - a place where you feel the breeze and hear the waves and where you can to watch people on the rock climbing walls, watch the big screens (which had a lot of football games during college football bowl week and NFL playoffs) or snacks and drinks at Ritas or Johnny Rockets. It seemed to me that the surcharge kept people out of Rita's unless they were going there for food, although it was a nice place to watch all of the activities on the Boardwalk. Except for when events were going on at the Aqua Theatre (football or show) this was a quite place with lots of families with smaller children. - Central Park - a very nice, quiet location with a couple of boutiques and dining locations. During the day, the Park Cafe was a good location for a snack. Also a nice place to sit and read a book. The park like atmosphere is pretty unique to a cruise ship. Although open the the elements if it is raining the spot is pretty quiet during the day and then a bustling dining hotspot at night. - Solarium - a nice covered adult only area with its own pool, jacuzzis, bar and bistro. While this adult only ahea usually feels cramped on most ships, We did not feel that way on this ship. The area covered multiple decks and had several more different sections if you wanted away from most people. The upper area also became a dance club late in the evening on a couple of nights. Overall, we felt there was something for everyone. For example, out kids never saw Central Park until we took them for dnner there one night. We finally broke down on the last day and told them about the awesome prime beef sandwich that they have offer during the day. Our cabins were on deck 7. We found this as very convenient for everything except going to the pool and sports decks. Since we prefer to use the stairs instead of the congestion of the elevators most things are a short up or down from deck 7. - down 1 deck to to the Boardwalk - up 1 deck to Central Park - down 2 decks to the Royal Promenade - down 2 decks to dining in Adagio (My Time Dining Option) - down 3 decks to the Amber Theatre or Ice Theatre - down 3 decks to the Casino The only times that we utilized the elevators were trips up to decks 14-15. Let me just mention the dining time options. All but two of our dinner meals were in the main dining room, We chose the "My Time" option and set the reservations prior to departure according to our expected ports or entertainment options. The time varied each night but each night we started in the Adagio deck 5. When we ate early (arrive between 5:30 and 6:30) we were seated with the same waiter and assitant waiter and did not have to wait to be seated and dinner flowed smoothly over an approximate 1 1/2 hour period. When we ate late (after 7pm) we would have to wait for a table assignment and may have been asked to move to Adagio 3 or 4 for dinner. Not a problem, but the dinner seemed to be more rushed as they were trying to get you out before the late dinner seating. Ultimately I liked being able to set my own time for dinner. I did feel like I was being "nickled and dimed" a little bit with all of the premium charges. Even when we ate at Chops, the option for a dry aged steaks was an up charge, which seemed rediculous after paying $35 per person already (one of which barely ate anything other than the bread). The regular filets were great anyway. I also thought the prices for the photo's rediculous, but of course bought 1 or 2 anyway. I had a couple of trips to Guest Services, and there was always a line with a 10-15 minute wait. I found the staff as courteous and helpful. We had noticed that our RCI onboard credits had not been applied. As it turned out th problem was with the paperwork the travel agency either processed or failed to process and not necessariely RCI. Ultimately, the travel agency blamed us for not completing all of the paperwork (their job I thought), but agreed to refund the credit amounts to our credit card. I mention this only because I have never had it as my responsibility to "redeem" cruise line onboard credits so you may want to watch this on your own booking.

Great way to ring in the New Year

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by wrbenton

The "Neighborhoods" provided lots of different options during the day.
- Decks 15 & 16 - sun, pools and sports
- down 1 deck to to the Boardwalk
- up 1 deck to Central Park
- down 2 decks to the Royal Promenade
- down 2 decks to dining in Adagio (My Time Dining Option)
- down 3 decks to the Amber Theatre or Ice Theatre
- down 3 decks to the Casino
The only times that we utilized the elevators were trips up to decks 14-15.
wrbenton’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Cabin 7200 & 7201
Balcony Stateroom (7200)Cabin is little smaller than most other Superior Balcony staterooms on other ships we have been on, but not by much. Overall, the cabin functions efficiently. Although this cabin did not have the pull-out sofa, if it did it would be way too cramped for more than two people. The scheduling through the interactive TV was nice and allowed you to review your plans and change or add to them to meet your needs.I found deck 7 to be a good location to everything except the pool and sports decks. Everything else was either up or down one or two decks and easily walkable verses fighting for an elevator.The location was about 1/3 of the length of the corridor from the forwards stairs and 2/3 of the corridor from the aft stairs. A good location that eliminated most of the traffic and hallway noise outside the stateroom.The balcony was protected from most of the wind created from the ship's movement. Because the balcony is covered there may or may not be direct sunlight on the deck depending on whether the balcony has a southern exposure or not. The direction the ship is traveling will dictate whether the sun is beaming in the cabin for two days straight or none at all.Promenade View Stateroom (7201)Stateroom size and setup similar to D1 Balcony stateroom except instead of the balcony there is a window seat where you look out over the Royal Promenade. Great for people watching of seeing the activities going on at the street parties. Fairly large stateroom when compared to other "inside" statements on other ships.
  Allure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Jeep Tour
    Busy port with lots of other cruise ships all doing everything at the same time. Great diving location. Busy town with lots of local flavor with dining, drinking and shopping options. Plenty of excursion for whatever interest you. Just expect everything to be busy and ultimately rushed (unless your on the water excursion).
    View All 133 Jeep Tour Reviews
  • Falmouth
    The port in Falmouth appears to be controlled by RCI. The port area itself is inside a restricted gated resort community so it feels safe and not like many of the other Jamaican ports. There is duty free shopping available just off the ship for local art and the usual diamond and t-shirt items all without leaving the security of the port.
    View All 1,332 Falmouth Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Falmouth Cruise Port Review
  • Labadee
    Having been to Labadee several years ago, the original plan was to stay on the ship and enjoy the Flowrider while everyone was off the ship, but after looking at some of the activities decided to get off the ship. They have added a lot of activities and areas since we were there last. The zipline and alpine coaster were both new to us and we did both (except for the 9 year old who did not weigh enough). The last zipline is probably one of the best I have ever done. It is a 45-60 second zipline from a cliff out over the ocean down to the beach. A great view of everything.I was a little disappointed that they now restrict the swimming to the protected cove and bay areas as the north beach area has a nice little surf that rolled in. After exploring around the island we returned back to the ship to have almost sole use of the flowrider.One nice thing about Labadee is that it is private. Only authorized venders and staff are allowed in the resort so it is very safe. The artisan area is where you will find those haitians that are allowed to sale their goods. They want you to "look" at everything, so either choose to look around and barter or just ignore them as you see fit.The down side it that it is Haiti, an obvious impoverished nation that it almost seems like we are taking advantage of. No excursions outside of the resort except for kayak or jetski originating at the resort.An excellent place for a family beach excursion where you don't have to worry about renting a chair, paying a taxi and warding off hundreds of individuals trying to sell you something.
    View All 1,802 Labadee Cruise Port Reviews