Celestyal Majesty Cruise Review

Majesty lost her crown - One star cruise - nothing good to say

Celestyal Majesty Cruise Review by Kcrr65

• Sail Date: Dec 2014
  • Destination: Canary Islands

My husband and I got back today 4th Jan 2015 and felt I had to warn people not to go on this cruise ship. I wish I had done more homework prior to booking but had not had a bad experience and probably got a tad complacent. I have been on numerous cruises and found them all to be brilliant quality and what you would expect ie great food choice and quality, luxury surroundings, excellent entertainment and lots to do. This boat should be taken off line, and the staff responsible for how it came into its current condition, be severely questioned on all aspects of management.

Firstly the sanitary conditions, of which we had heard a lot about mainly Norovirus where only compounded by the terrible cleaning practices of using the same cloth to wipe down all surfaces. We saw first hand a cleaner using one damp cloth on handrails, elevators, door handles. All they did was contaminate clean surfaces and move around the germs. At no point was the cloth cleaned or substituted for paper or antibacterial wipes. The whole boat was filthy and we couldn't touch surfaces which had not been touched with water and elbow grease for some considerable time. There was fluff sticking to surfaces and kitchen equipment was grubby if not worse. Health and safety appeared non existent nor was proper training on basic hygiene.

Our cabin 831 was tiny with a great view of a lifeboat but what got me more was the sheets were grey and thread bare as were the towels which had been around the world more than a few times and not to mention the lovely yellow and brown shower curtain!!

On arrival on board we were sent to buffet restaurant to be greeted by not very friendly or attentive staff sloping, what can only loosely be described as food onto a plate. This was then handed to us after we had queued up like school dinners. I was hoping the next day would be better but alas it was worse and I can only assume due to the disgusting food on offer in the buffet restaurant meant that many more than normal people wished to go to the dining restaurant but again disappointment. The main restaurant shut at the very early time of 9.30am and after arriving at a long queue at 9.10 we were told that we would not get in for our breakfast. The next day I decided to get up even earlier and was delighted to get a table - but food was a different story. After waiting and asking 3 times for tea I eventually got a cup and I wasn't alone. Everyone was complaining but the staff didn't appear fazed and this was the pattern in every restaurant. The food all over the boat was of the same rubbish quality and if you didn't like menu then you were stuffed. I didn't have a meal which I liked and often had to wait for an age to get this disgusting offering served. The breakfast waiters didn't know who had ordered what and consequently were seen moving with their fingers sausages from one plate to another and bacon too. I got someone else's breakfast but lost the will to live and ate it anyway. Apologies if you are reading this review.

Secondly, the so called all inclusive drinks package was nothing but a joke. There was nothing all inclusive about it if you wanted a can of coke extra, bottle of water extra, a small sauvingon blanc £3.30 extra. This package cost £230 per person and to not be allowed a can of fizzy cola but served flat bottled coke was a liberty. I don't mind paying slightly more for palatable wine but I could have done without a £3.30 extra charge for a glass of wine with my meal.

However I must say that a lot of people on this cruise got more than their monies worth - drinking from early morning till very late in evening and this is the kind of clientele this boat attracts. We paid a lot of money for this New Years cruise and had the year before paid similar money for a Carribean cruise on Holland American ship which was outstanding and again in Easter I cruised on NCL which was phenomenal. I am not usually very high maintenance but this boat took the biscuit.

I had cruised on Thomson Celebration five years ago and although the ship was old and slightly tired it was clean, and entertainment and food very good. The Majesty on the other hand was not very majestic in the end. I would not have been so disappointed had I paid half of what we actually paid, but to be charged £3700 for one week on this boat was shocking. The boat should be advertised as is a 2 star cruise for bevy merchants. I will never be onboard a Thomson cruise again and I know that novice cruisers and seasoned cruisers who we spoke to in the many queues we were in also said the same. Never again.

Kcrr65's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Deck 6-8 831

Level 8 view of a lifeboat. Only 13 meters so very small.

Kcrr65