3. Carnival Elation
Living only an hour from the port, we look forward to our Christmas Carnival cruise, however this year's cruise may well be our last on the Elation. Since we are platinum cruisers, this was probably the smoothest embarkation and debArkation process of all our cruises. Unfortunately, there aren't many other compliments I can give about this cruise. Evidently, with the recent "upgrades" to the ship, cruisers have limited controls over cabin temperatures and no controls over airflow in the cabin. After contacting our cabin steward a second time, we were told the cabin temperatures are kept between 71 and 74*. Only once during the cruise did I notice anything more than minimal airflow through the ceiling vent. We decided to try "Your Time Dining" this cruise. Unless you arrive at the dining room near the beginning of end of the dining room opening, you will likely be given a pager to notify you when a table is available. Our wait was anywhere from :20-:40. Not a problem, just be aware and plan accordingly. Service in the dining room was definitely lacking on this cruise. Our first night, Randy was our server...he was terrific! Thereafter, service was slow, to the extent that food was cold and servers seemed to disappear. At brunch on our last full day, it took :30 for our server to bring bread to our table, the tomato soup was barely room temperature, and the pork chop was cold. For supper that night we requested Randy. In hindsight, we should have done that for the entire cruise. Our cabin was on the Empress deck below the galley. On the first and last night, we were awakened by crew in the galley at 3 a.m. It sounded like they were dropping plastic buckets on the floor. After being awakened the first night, I slept with ear plugs, however I couldn't do that on the last night because I needed to hear the alarm in the morning. This was our first time getting off the ship in Progresso. It was a short 2-3 minute walk to the bus stop and a :15-:20 bus ride into town. We decided to have lunch at a downtown restaurant. The food was pretty good and the prices were reasonable. With weather threatening, we decided to get back to the ship, so we didn't do much walking around. I don't think we missed much. Progresso seems to be a very poor town. Having been to Cozumel before, we decided to stay on the ship. We did enjoy the Christmas sing-a-longs in the atrium and Christmas trivia games near the Drama Bar. I don't remember these on previous cruises to the extent they occurred on this cruise. Unfortunately, unless things change, we won't be sailing with Carnival next year. It might be time to give Royal Carribbean a chance. Very sad.

Elation Christmas cruise a disappointment.

Carnival Elation Cruise Review by wdwmom

Having been to Cozumel before, we decided to stay on the ship.
wdwmom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Elation price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6E E140
Spacious cabin for 2 people.Unusual shower temperature...water was hot, then cold, then hot, then cold...never was warm.Evidently, crew members in the galley at 3 a.m. didn't realize guests were trying to sleep in cabins below them. Will definitely not book cabins in this area again.After commenting that the cabin was warm, we were advised that the cabin temps are kept between 71 and 74*. Evidently cruisers are no longer able to regulate the comfort of their cabin. The airflow from the ceiling vent has also been disabled.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins