3. Disney Magic
We arrived about 1215. Parking at ship was very easy. We dropped our bags off and parked in the regular lot for $120. The Premium lot ($140) is only a little closer and is not covered. The regular parking lot/garage is just across the street and we parked out of the sun. First step was going through the TSA-like baggage screening. This process took longer than reasonable. The security folks just didn’t seem to work efficiently….maybe it is a part-time job for them. They were pleasant, but slow. We got through the paperwork check-in quickly and then got the wrist band for our grandson, who was traveling with us. Getting the wristband took longer than the security check and paper check-in combined. From there we walked on board the Disney Magic and got some lunch. Around the scheduled time the staterooms were ready, so we went to check out our room. We have cruised about 15 times, mostly on Celebrity. We were impressed with the storage space of our cabin and liked the split bathroom set up. That would have been even better if they could have included a 2nd toilet. I liked the shampoo and hand lotion products. My only minor complaint was the comforter on the bed was too hot. If my grandson had not been sleeping with just a light blanket on the sofa-bed, I would have lowered room temp to about 60 degrees. Our cabin attendant was excellent. We found the buffet food to be good, not as good as Celebrity, but on par with RCL. The dining room food was about the same. Dining room service is very friendly, but with all the children present the service not as refined as that on Celebrity. We were surprise to have a waiter from England. He did a great job…and was easy to understand. Our assistant waiter also did a great job. Rotating through the dining rooms was interesting, but not nearly as special as we envisioned. I thought there would be really distinct food differences, but the distinctions were limited. Around night 6 the assistant waiter showed the kids an assortment of plastic souvenir glass with flashing LED lights for about $7. I would guess it was an assigned task. We would have preferred not having the glasses offered in midst of dinner. Two 8 year old girls at our table got flashing cups. We did not buy one for our grandson. We found the pool for kids to be quite small. It is good they have life guards; I counted over 40 kids in the pool one sea-day afternoon. When busy, it was difficult to find a seat or lounge around the pool from which you could actually watch your kids. The production shows were the best we have ever seen on a cruise ship…significantly better. They were all Disney themed, but why else would you sail on a Disney ship. We chose to walk of the Disney Magic with our bags, vice placing bags outside cabin door the evening before. This was painless. We were in our car and on the road by 7:45. We had never cruised with so many children on board, but we got used to it. Cruise Director said there were over 1000 kids. The average age was much younger than other cruises we have done. The percentage of people who dressed formal nights was way under 50%. A large percentage did not even meet the “casual” dress criteria on formal night or any other night…looking more like they dress for a boardwalk at the beach. Way too many people with excessively unattractive tattoos. We would sail on Disney again with grandkids; it is a great experience. We would not choose Disney to cruise without kids.

First Time on Disney