3. Celebrity Constellation
This was a short 4-day cruise to get ready for a business group we are sailing with in several months. According to Celebrity, this was technically a “holiday” sailing so there were lots of families and first timer cruisers and much fewer Celebrity regulars than a typical 7-day+ sailing. EMBARKATION We arrived at the terminal just after 11:00 AM. Constellation was docked at Pier 4 and we were greeted by a brand new paved parking lot just outside the terminal. It was the closest we’ve ever parked to front door of the pier. Dropped our luggage quickly then moved through security and then into the check-in line. We had our sea passes and were boarding the ship before 11:30 AM. It was one of the quickest check-in’s we’ve ever had. After boarding, it was approximately 1:30 when they announced that the cabins were ready. Luggage arrived prior to muster drill. One of the quickest luggage delivery as well. CABIN Cabin 8010 is forward on the starboard side of the ship. It was your basic standard M-class balcony cabin. Upon arrival, our air conditioning did not work and after muster drill, maintenance arrived to correct the problem. It took a few moments to fix. The cabin furnishings were all in very good shape. There was a small love seat next to the sliding balcony door. I requested a feather pillow and our extremely pleasant cabin attendant, Selvin, brought it within minutes. CREW We have sailed on a lot of Celebrity ships. Holidays are always a tough time for crew members because the greater majority of them are away from their families and passengers can be, well, not on their best behavior. But I have to say that this was by far the friendliest, happiest, eager to please overall crew we’ve had in a long, long time. It starts at the top with Captain Tasos Kafetzis. Celebrity’s youngest captain ever was personable, funny, seemed to have fun with passengers and crew, often seen at many of the shipboard activities and shows. There have been cuts in crew and activities. The activities staff is down to three people on Constellation. With a four day cruise, it wasn’t too noticeable. One sea and two ports doesn’t give you a lot of time on the ship so the missing activities and staff didn’t seem to matter much but we’ll see how that is on an upcoming seven-night cruise. The activities that were held, were well attended and enjoyable. FOOD Always subjective, food is one of those subjects that can be debated over and over again. Here’s our experience on this cruise. Dining room for dinner ~ overall the food was good. It’s clear that cuts have been made to the dinner menus. Not only in what is offered but he portion sizes. The first evening, our tablemate ordered salmon for her entrée and it was the smallest piece of salmon I’ve ever seen served on a ship. I actually don’t have a problem with smaller portions. You can always order additional food if you’re still hungry. What I had a problem with was that every night we were in the dining room (three of the four) salmon was the fish entrée on both the “available every night” and the “nightly entrees” that change each evening. It would have been nice to have a different fish on the nightly entrée side of the menu at least once. The menu on formal night was disappointing. Shrimp Scampi, Lamb Chops, Duck, Beef Medallions with Mushrooms and a vegetarian choice. Nothing close to Beef Wellington or Lobster. I had the duck and it was prepared fine; I just didn’t care for it. My husband had the lamb chops and there were three large chops but they were fatty and tough. The French onion soup, however, was very good. Don’t get me wrong. There was plenty to eat on the ship. It was just noticeable that there have been changes. Our meals on other nights were good. The spaghetti with Bolognese sauce and the ravioli with wild mushrooms and spinach were good. The prime rib that a dinner mate looked good, too. The BBQ Chicken on the final night was very good. You also can’t go wrong with the French Onion soup and the shrimp cocktail on the always available menu. Our servers in the dining room (Geranimo and Kenneth) were friendly, efficient and eager to please. They made the evening dinner very enjoyable. The Oceanview Café is a zoo. The layout of the S-class buffet areas has spoiled me. We ate in here a few times. We had sandwiches for both lunches. There is a Panini station at the very back of the ship that had beautiful croissants and breads. Got the bread there and then went to the “carving” station (just in front of the pizza station) where they had wonderful roasted meats (beef, chicken, pork and ham) that they carved for you. This was a very nice addition to the buffet area. Sandwiches with the carved meats were great. Breakfast here was fine. The fresh waffles are located back where the Panini station is during the day. The eggs benedict station line was unbelievably long primarily because there was only one person working (you’ll see a theme here shortly). You can’t have one crew member working a very labor intensive operation like making eggs benedict. It was impossible for him to keep up. There were other areas of the buffet that fell victim to the same “lack of sufficient crew members working.” Both the pizza and pasta stations (on separate sides of the Oceanview café) were sorely understaffed. 95 % of the time I walked by there was only one person working the pizza station and there was NO pizza available. It got to the point that the lines were so long he just started putting out undercooked pizza. The crust wasn’t cooked and the cheese barely melted. This was a cruise with lots of kids. Again, you can’t have one person handling this area at busy times (lunch, late afternoon especially when folks are coming back from port). Needless to say, we never tasted the pizza. Wasn’t worth it. The pasta station was as bad. One person working at lunch in an even more intensive labor area. I was in line for more than 15 minutes and the person at the front of the line (about ten people ahead of me) hadn’t been served yet. I left and went back to the carving station. Finally, the hamburger and hot dog grill is another spot that really hasn’t ever worked well on Celebrity ships. Long lines, burnt burgers, a system that for some reason is slow, a chef overseeing the area that had a deer in the headlights look….fries and hot dog was fine but unless you like really burnt burgers, this isn’t a great option. The Food & Beverage director on board now is from France. I’ll be anxious to see if any of these areas improve when we sail Constellation again in a few months. Tuscan Grille – The best meal of the week was here. That’s not surprising. It’s always good. We both had steaks which were excellent. We each asked for an appetizer portion of pasta (I got the lobster pappardelle and my husband got the lasagna). We both enjoyed a little of each. The pappardelle was delicious. He liked the lasagna better but it was made with béchamel sauce which I don’t care for in lasagna. The service was fantastic as usual. We really enjoy at least one evening in a specialty restaurant. I am beginning to think that the pricing is getting a little too high to consider more than one per cruise. It’s now $45 for Tuscan and $50 for Oceanliners. Café al Bacio ~ while technically not a “food” location, they do serve yummy pastries, the best coffee on the ship and consistently the friendliest & kindest crew members (although this cruise had a lot of great crew members). This is our go to place to relax, enjoy a coffee and pastry. Always good. ENTERTAINMENT For a four night cruise, this was among the best entertainment overall that we’ve seen on a Celebrity ship. All of the individual entertainers (party bands, guitar player, string quartet) were excellent. Sometime you’ll get some that are outstanding and some that are OK but on this cruise, they were all great. The cast of Celebrity singers and dancers (and the orchestra – which is sadly only six musicians now) were likely the best group we’ve seen on a Celebrity ship. The cast was larger than normal (15 total, I think) and besides performing in two excellent shows (iHollywood and The Land of Make Believe) in the theater, they did two “interactive shows” in the Reflections lounge. One was circus themed (a little strange) and the other was Motown. Both succeeded in getting passengers on the dance floor and having a great time. It was a lot of fun to have the dancers stick around and dance with passengers. There were also two aerialists that performed in the production shows. They brought lots of gasps from the crowd throughout their performances. Their strength and abilities were amazing. Finally, the guest entertainers were also outstanding. Gareth Oliver, a ventriloquist who was a semi-finalist on Britain’s Got Talent a few years ago was laugh out loud funny and his dummies (especially Charlie) were endearing. His wife, Alice, added a different and great dimension to his show, too. Don’t miss it if he’s on your sailing. He’s performing on a variety of Celebrity ships in 2015. The other entertainer was called White Magic, a duo performing magic stunts and contortions. Michael White and his fiancé Hulan performed a wide variety of magic illusions (still trying to figure them out) and she performed amazing contortions both as a part of the illusions and individually by herself. Together, the combination of all the entertainment options were pretty darn good for this short cruise. I still really miss the a cappella groups, but I was very happy to see that the quality of the entertainment is actually improved in my opinion. Kudos to all the performers. Great stuff! SHIP CONDITION Constellation is in excellent condition. Both the public spaces and our cabin were in great shape. For the wear and tear (abuse) the ships takes day in and day out, she is well maintained and looking good. The only place I noticed that needed some work were the cabin balconies. The lower railings on most were showing rust and needed to be sanded and repainted. The large balconies on both sides of the rear of the ship were in poor condition. You can see these from the back deck of the Oceanview Bar at the rear of the buffet area. The metal balconies were dirty with lots of paint falling off of them. We’re in an aft facing balcony in March so I’m hoping these balconies have some maintenance done on them by that time. But overall, the crew is keeping Constellation in very good condition. PORTS OF CALL There were only two ports of call – Key West and Nassau. We’ve been to both before. We checked out the golf course in Key West for a future event. It was very nice and about a 15 minute taxi ride from the ship. When we go back to town, we took a nice long walk around the Harbor Walk. Lots of restaurants and bars here and plenty of beautiful boats, many offering afternoon excursions. We had lunch and watched the NFL at the Conch Republic Seafood Restaurant. Perfect place to have a bite to eat and watch football. All restaurants post their menus so you have lots of options. In Nassau we took the Bites of Nassau Tru Bahamian Food Tour -- http://trubahamianfoodtours.com/ It was excellent. We had a short ten minute walk to meet the tour guide, Lexi. She is a native Bahamian and her love of her country, culture and food showed throughout the day. We visited six places and had a lot of food and drinks (one beer and two soft drinks) over the course of three hours. One thing I really liked about the tour is that we got to visit Graycliff, an old Bahamian Inn. All of the food and drinks were great and having Lexi as our tour guide definitely made it a memorable tour. Discount coupons were provided on the back of our program for all the places we visited. The dark salted caramel hand-made truffles at the Graycliff candy factory were to die for. If you just want to have a true Bahamian lunch, head to Bahamian Cookin (we had enough food here for a full meal). http://bahamiancookin.com/ It’s no more than a ten minute walk from the ship. We’d been to Nassau many times before. This was the best thing we’ve done here. It’s always great to meet someone local and see the city through their eyes. I’d highly recommend this tour. PASSENGERS Hmmmm….I realize this is a dangerous area and I certainly don’t mean to be disrespectful to anyone. However, I saw several things on this cruise that were so over the top, rude and disrespectful that they need to be mentioned. As I mentioned earlier, being a holiday cruise, you know there are going to be lots of first timers, kids, etc. But that can’t excuse some of the behavior from passengers. Here’s just a few things we saw: 1) In the theater during a solo performance by one of the female entertainers, a man walked up to the front of the stage right in front of the performer who was center stage at the front of the stage. My first thought was “is he going to try and get on stage?” Nope, he proceeded to “climb” on the first row of seats and jump over the row to sit down in the second row!!! Everyone in the theater was aghast. Who does something like this??? 2) Formal night in the dining room, a woman (I’d say she was mid- to late-20s) took her shoes off and sat cross-legged on her chair in the main dining room in her cocktail dress. I might understand a five year old doing this, but someone in their 20s? 3) A group of four kids (ages from 2 – 10) were in Rendezvous Lounge each evening before dinner when the band was playing. Sometimes they were trying to dance, sometimes they were doing gymnastics, sometimes they were just running around on the dance floor. It made it very difficult for anyone else to actually dance. Seemed like their grandparents were there with them. They seldom said a word to any of the kids. I’m actually all for kids having a good time. We had some great cruises with our daughter when she was young. But we’d never allow her to do anything that would impact other passenger’ enjoyment of the cruise. Seems like few parents pay any attention to what their kids were doing or who they might be bothering. That said, there was a family of five next to us at dinner each evening. Extremely polite and well-behaved kids. Kudos to their parents and the children! 4) One of the housekeeping staff in a women’s restroom tried to explain to a passenger that the large silver containers that said hand towels only meant the cloth towels and not paper towels when the passenger threw a paper towel into the wrong bin. The passenger got very nasty with the crew member, accusing her of yelling. The crew member said she was just trying to point out that the receptacle was only for cloth towels. After the passenger left, the crew member was very upset and concerned she was going to get in trouble. It makes me very angry when passengers treat crew members unkindly for no reason at all. It’s a disturbing trend. 5) There were two bikini tops on one of the hand railing in the hallway across from our cabin one morning. Don’t know why someone who have left two bikini tops on the hand rail in the hallway…can’t say as I’ve seen that before, though. 6) Several people in the theater had their feet on top of the back of the row in front of them. Would you put your feet (with your shoes on) on your furniture at home? The disrespect for other passengers and for crew and ship itself surprised me. I’m not sure how we got to this point, but I’m not liking it. MISCELLANEOUS Level of music ~ on several past Celebrity cruises, the sound level throughout the ship had gotten obnoxiously loud. With the exception of the Martini bar, the sound levels on this cruise for the most part was right about where it should have been. Running out of alcohol ~ another issue discussed recently were ships running out of alcohol in the packages. That didn’t happen on this cruise. The only thing we tried to order that wasn’t available was the red wine in Tuscan Grille that was in the package. They replaced it with another. Getting bar service ~ we had no trouble anywhere on the ship getting bar service. We had the Classic Drink package (which we purchased when we boarded) and received outstanding service throughout the ship. Specials for booking a future cruise ~ We received a $300 onboard credit (which we used to help purchase the drink package) that could be used on this sailing when you booked a future cruise!!! You could also use it as an onboard credit for your future cruise but our future cruise including the All Inclusive promotion currently available so another $300 would likely not totally be used. The future cruise deposit was non-refundable since we used the onboard credit for this cruise. Room service ~ we ordered room service pizza one afternoon while we watched a football game in our cabin. It was actually pretty good. It was a square, one person pizza. Much better than what was being served in the Oceanview Café. Crew ~ Can’t say again how wonderful the crew was on Constellation. We look forward to sailing with many of them again in a few months. DISEMBARKATION We chose to try self-disembarkation. We had one small suitcase each so it seemed the perfect time to try it out. We were down on deck 3 just before 7:00 AM (we were told to be there between 7 – 7:45 AM). The line of those self-disembarking had already begun to build. We waited about ten minutes (the line was now VERY long) and the line began moving. Once we started moving, it went very quickly. The wait for a customs officer was about two minutes. We were in our car and leaving the parking lot at 7:25 AM. I highly recommend this if you have little luggage and want a quick and easy disembarkation. __________________

Great 4-Day Cruise on Constellation

Host Anne’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2B
Cabin 2B 8010
This is a standard M-class balcony stateroom at the front of the ship.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins