Carnival Miracle Cruise Review

Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by SurferJoe57

• Sail Date: Sep 2014
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite

I've noted several other recent Miracle cruisers recently posting about the ship's propulsion issues, and felt obliged to post what I know.

We had a marvelous two week cruise to Hawaii this past September. As we booked AFTER the formal announcement by Carnival (which I found weeks after I'd booked anyway), we didn't get offered any partial refunds or other compensation - but the iteniary had been altered from the original catalogue's plan which had an overnight in Maui to only a day-trip. Again, as we booked after the issue had been noted, we simply paid the fare, took the trip, enjoyed it and got back to LA on schedule.

----

I don't know of any crew members attempting to conceal the issue; in fact, being retired military with years at sea myself, I was curious to know what the issue was - and was enthusiastically briefed during a behind-the-scenes tour by the ship's engineering staff. Simply put, the manufacturer of the pod systems noted that they'd been experiencing premature wear on the bearing cages, and advised Carnival to keep the maximum speed below 20 knots to avoid any overheating issues. Carnival did publicize that they could have either taken the ship offline and moved the overhaul period up, or simply tailored the iteniaries to fit within constraints imposed by speed restrictions, which is what they did. Most of the time, we were making 18 or 19 knots, which...if you've ever gone to sea with the US Navy...is actually moving along at a brisk (though not quite 31-Knot-Burke) clip.

Heck the bartenders I chatted up every night talked about this.

----

We had a fabulous time; the crew was great, the food was great, the shows were limited but that's expected on longer voyages. The wife and I did a "re-committment" marriage ceremony with the Captain, and he was great; took time off the bridge to officiate, pose for pictures, and talk with us personally. An unforgettable experience all around. The Miracle is a sister ship to the Pride, which we've cruised on three times - but was far better maintained.

SurferJoe57's Full Rating Summary

Vista Suite
Cabin VS 5266

Carnival Spirit class ships feature "vista suite" wrap-around cabins on the aft-corners on the three upper decks. Our cabin was on the port side, 5th deck. These cabins feature balconies that are almost all aft (as opposed to the extended balconies on the Conquest class, which have plenty of real estate on both the port or starboard and aft), which are more than adequate for two people to sunbathe. They have twin vanities, and a tub-whirlpool, which I actually don't care for - the tub is too small to actually bathe in, and awkward compared to the shower-insert units found in most other cabin categories.

SurferJoe57